Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Maatta was the last current player jersey I bought in years so I'm hoping he doesn't get traded/claimed.

He's going to get moved with Fleury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I figured the Penguins would be screwed by Fleury's NTC and his good guy in the locker room attitude, but then I remembered that Rutherford not only traded Rob Scuderi but got a decent piece back for him.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The big thing I've seen with Maatta is that his injuries have derailed offseason training for him and that hurt his development. Off-season surgery, then cancer, then reinjuring that shoulder and needing surgery again. Then Brooks Orpik bonked him in the head. While he doesn't have Bennett levels of injuries, it's definitely been a detriment to his ability to bulls on a season.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I don't think the Penguins are coasting so much as they're showing fatigue from playing 106 games last season, having a bunch of people play in the World Cup and getting a late training camp, and then having a week off that tightens the rest of the season. I don't think they aren't good enough to go deep in the playoffs again or even win it all, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
How many sports owners would we honestly consider bad though? Marge Schott and Donald Sterling are more immediate answers but most seem content to just scam tax payers out of money.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I guess I should be more aware of who owners are. Totally forgot about the Maloofs. I guess if it reaches the point where you're casually noticed the leagues are already trying to figure out how to remove you.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Twin Cinema posted:

Pittsburgh goons, I will be visiting your fine city for either two or three nights in the coming weeks. I am going there with my fiancee, and we already have some things set up (Warhol museum, Mattress Factory, Phipps Conservatory, Cathedral of Learning are four of the places we are visiting). We already have our restaurants planned out (she's Celiac, so we've realllllllly got to plan ahead), but I am wondering if there's anything else we should see?

If you give us something lovely, I will speak poorly of you on the internet.

Carnegie Art and History museums are really good and a few blocks from the cathedral if you aren't museumed out. Mt. Washington/Duquesne Incline will give you a nice view of the city at night if the weather isn't poo poo. It seems like you have most things planned out and have a solid list already.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Part of me wishes the comments Homer made about other GMs being unwilling to talk to him after the Weber offer sheet would get ruled as collusion and wreak havoc for the owners, but that would probably destroy the league so eh

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

GuavaMoment posted:

lol if you think the collusion doesn't end there.

Oh no it totally doesn't. Management is just generally smarter than publicly acknowledging it. That guy from the Red Wings calling players cattle in the last lockout and his subsequent fine was awesome.

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 14, 2017

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

JawKnee posted:

was it Pocklington that got in trouble for putting family members names onto the cup when they had nothing to do with anything?

Yup, he put his dad on there and the NHL later had it X'd out. That's how you can tell if you have the presentation/real cup or the display cup

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

fits posted:

corey hirsch wrote a thing about his mental health struggles

:smith:

Like most of these articles, this is a really good read. I remember seeing him in the AHL and wondering how he had such a great rookie year and couldn't build on it. Never knew he was dealing with something like that. And good on the trainer/team to realize how serious it was and get him help , rather refreshing to see that in a 90s NHL health story.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I don't want the Penguins to trade Maatta (or any roster defenseman) at this point without getting another in return because I don't think I can handle Chad Ruhwedel: playoff regular.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I am pleased by nobody talking nonsense and putting Messier up there.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The only record that I take exception to because of eras is the goalie wins record because Parent did that when they didn't have overtime let alone shootouts.

Gretzky scored 200 points in a season four times. Nobody else did it once. What that guy did is nuts regardless of his era.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

heeheex2 posted:

It's actually been around +5 the last few days. Although it'll be -10 his whole bi-week..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns14hRqwY8

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I can't imagine them postponing unless they absolutely had to. Can't they just cover the rink well enough with that much notice?

That said I'm glad I took Sunday off too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Levitate posted:

they're awful quick to blow the play dead if guys don't immediately try to exit the zone and they're also ridiculously strict about shooting the puck in at the blueline if a team mate is offsides instead of allowing a touch up (I assume this is because if the puck is over the line at all on your stick even if you're shooting it in then they consider if offsides if a teammate is in the zone)

That's right. It also gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_c_7l1vjtM

• Locked thread