Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
That sounds highly unpleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Which of the Blues defensemen is he going to play 40 minutes a game? Pietrangelo?

Bouwmeester, with any luck.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

That's gotta be a record.

Not really, it was against Vancouver

grack
Jan 10, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

I hope he gets claimed so he's forced to move against his will. Without his consent, if you will.

Actually, don't. He'll just get send down to the minors and that probably exactly what he wants.

:staredog:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

the leafs waived corrado to make room for their new waiver acquisition, alexei marchenko. frankie is free!!!!!

Teams just seem to love screwing over Corrado for some reason.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kinda tough to develop as a hockey player when all of your limbs spontaneously detach any time someone glances in your direction.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

All GMs are good, just not the one for your teams.

Forget the GM of the Canucks (who is provably a moron) have you seen how the Stars are doing this year?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

What a wonderful morning.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Not to say that the defense is great or anything, but Rask was playing lights out to start the season in front of the same defense.

I don't think there are many long-time coaches (remember when Julien was a Tim Thomas miracle away from getting fired?) who can survive the type of run Boston's goaltending is having right now.

Rask has clearly fallen in to a deep depression from having to play behind that group of defensemen all season.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

bewbies posted:

my God this thread has been pessimistic lately

No no, I think Julien being fired really perked it up.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Grimby posted:

So, which ex-Bruin are Sweeney and Neely going to bring in to coach?

Adam Oates

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Slappy Pappy posted:

Chara would look really good at left wing. Plus, I'm sure Oates would have tons of good advice for Rask. "Tukka, stop playing those angles - just sit deep in your net and react, you know like Lundqvist does. Let the puck hit you. It's not that hard."

Well he does know a lot about goaltending and that seems to be an issue for the Bruins this year. Clearly a really good fit!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I was doing a little reading/watching on reactions to the Julien firing, and Craig Button basically laid it out really well: The Bruins play the right way but don't have the talent to make it work, and that's not Julien's fault.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

It took Barry Trotz and Mitch Korn a year to undo the damage to Holtby. I wouldn't wish Oatse.cx on my bitterest rival.

Really, 'cuz I'd wish him on anyone other than the Canucks. That said, I've never claimed to be a good person

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Anton Rodin going for surgery again, out for 6 months.

Fan-loving-tastic.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Karma is swift and merciless.

If this were true Jim Benning would've spontaneously combusted by now.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dipietro's hip problems forced him to try and adopt a new style as more of a standup goalie and he could not make it work.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

And two seasons ago when they were top if the east. Definitely worth complaining about all the time. I mean having the best goalie in the world is so horrible because he could get injured.

Hey look, if Dallas stapled Lehtonen and Niemi together they might almost be as good as Price, if Price was on day four of a four day bender and had lost feeling in his catching hand.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

NOT.
loving.
FUNNY.

Really? I don't think so, because every time I even consider the idea of Oates as the Bruins' coach I start giggling a little bit. Like, right now. Right now I'm just giggling a little bit.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but what exactly is the problem with Therrien? Aside from last year (which Price missed most of) his point percentage in his 2nd stint with the Habs hasn't been below .610 for the season. Is there some major malfunction that I'm missing? Sure he seems to play favourites, sideline youngsters and harbour grudges, but what coach doesn't do that? Who would be a better replacement than him?

I feel like he's a decent to good coach that has perhaps had the benefit of coaching the Habs through a positive period in their history, but overall hasn't done anything to actively harm the team in a significant way. I get that Emelin sucks, but Babcock still gives Polak a regular shift and AV can't get enough of Dan Girardi and they're widely regarded as the best there is. Every coach has their big tough crap defencemen they can't stop salivating over.

PK Subban

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Willie Desjardins is not the worst coach Vancouver has ever had but that's because Vancouver has had Marc Crawford, Mike Keenan and John Tortorella.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

DJExile posted:

They're still shedding bad contracts and bringing up more young guns.

So Hakstol can bench them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Holy poo poo.

"... purportedly had the trainers file out the bottom rims of the players visors to razor sharp edges, then instructed them leave the helmet on in a fight."

:stare:

"he bit the head off a live bat just prove his toughness....I guess."

:catstare:

"While coaching in the OHL, before a home game against the Kitchener Rangers he hung 23 bodybags in the rafters to represent every opposing player."

:staredog:

:black101:

And yet still not as bad as John Tortorella

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If we're judging Ilitch's legacy on what Detroit looks like right now, man, that is not a pretty picture.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Illitch was a good owner who turned the Red Wings into one of the premiere teams in the league, plus he tried to do a lot for Detroit (and yes line his pockets in the process). His passing is a bummer :smith:

Hey, Ilitch was a good dude. Hell, if we're talking about owners I'd prefer a dead Mike Ilitch over a live Roberto Aquilini.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

How many sports owners would we honestly consider bad though? Marge Schott and Donald Sterling are more immediate answers but most seem content to just scam tax payers out of money.

Roberto Aquilini is bad and I'd wish he'd keep to sticking his dick in to people not his wife instead of things not his wife.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Buffalo is really bad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

It'll be real demoralizing when he sends Carey to the Stars for speaking out against the god-emperor Therrien's efforts.

Ain't it great that Therrien's gonna get fired after Bergevin traded away a legitimate star player and a fan favourite to appease him?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I've made my peace with the Subban debacle, and I legitimately am happy we have Weber so I'm not even going to go down that route.

Aside from potential, the only thing I was pretty confident about with PK was that he would be a Hab for a long long time (given his choice). Weber I can see loving off back to Nashville or testing the market. At least that's the impression that I get. I'm sure I could be wrong and Subban could have chased a paycheck too, but he seemed to legitimately love Montreal.

Wait now I'm angry again. Great.

Weber's contract runs until he's 40.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

I think both the players and owners probably feel kind of lovely for a guy like Luongo being publicly dicked around for years, and we know all the GMs hated Homer for that. Not sure what other contracts might be affected by this.

That would require the owners to feel anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

I thought Dolan feels nothing but hatred and smug towards uppity black folk^W^W^W Charles Oakley.

Well, lemme rephrase that - it would require the owners to feel empathy and I just don't know if that's possible.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, who didn't see this one coming from miles away.

Congrats, HAS.

And yes, I totally loving called this weeks ago.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yaya posted:

WHAT THE UFCK

He was never coming to Vancouver.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MononcQc posted:

I'm kind of surprised Boston gave permission to Montreal to talk to Julien.

Julien just wandered in to the Bell Centre, told everyone that he was now the coach and they just decided to go with it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mike_V posted:

lol did it really take a French-Canadian coach being available for them to fire Therrien?

You're really surprised about this?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

If not for B's tossing Claude, dollars to crepes Therien would still be employed right now.

Probably. I mean, how many other coaches with NHL experience and French last names are available right now?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

shyduck posted:

Bruins should hire Therrien

It would be funny but we all know the correct move is still Adam Oates

grack
Jan 10, 2012

According to TSN Montreal only asked for permission to talk to Julien on Sunday and the deal got done today. Either Moulson or Pac/Price told Bergevin to dump Therrien because I would find it difficult that Bergevin would do something this fast on his own.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Uh, so is Dallas going to make a move or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Is... is he swinging his stick at the ref? :stare:

He most certainly is. Vermette is gonna get hosed so hard for that, which he will richly deserve.

• Locked thread