Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Arizona is the whack-a-mole organisation of the NHL.
I think they'll bullshit a way to survive until Seattle has an active plan for an arena. Because gently caress Quebec is why.
(I'm wearing my Habs sweater as I type this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Coyotes to Seattle, second expansion team to Quebec. Balance is restored.
Or maybe the other way around? Whichever.

It depends on Arizona. My take on the situation is as follows:
- If they keep going, expansion will go to Seattle and Quebec will have to wait for one of the struggling Eastern teams to relocate for a return.
- If they keep going for another year (like if they announce the 17-18 season will be their last), the Coyotes will go to Quebec and second expansion will go to Seattle.
- If they keep going until after Seattle has a new arena plan in place, Seattle will get the Coyotes and Quebec will probably get screwed in favour of someone else.

My bet is on the third option.
I think the NHL desperately wants to be in Seattle, and is leery of putting another team in Quebec due to it's size and status as "l'fier fief de la francophonie".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

LumpyGumby posted:

Not any sweeter than those Nords unis.

Those fleur-de-lis are balanced out by this, the probable goal horn of the Quebec Nordique2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnv_jbOwErg

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I mean, you'll figure it out eventually. The NHL does not want to be in Quebec City, and Montreal is going to want it's pound of flesh money so I figure you guys have time.
When's the next City Council election?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hifi posted:

Losing ASU sucks but until the coyotes say something there's still all the cities minus glendale, plus shacking up with the suns. And as a minor note, ASU still needs an arena that's not the local hockey rink with some bleachers bolted on.

Let's be real here: the staggering failure of the Coyotes in Glendale combined with their current performance on the ice wouldn't make a city council think "yeah, this plan to pump >$350million into an arena looks like a good idea". Maybe someone will find a way to get it done, but it'd have to be a right person, right place kinda thing.

Duke Chin posted:

There is like zero chance "The Port is a cesspool of corruption... but I'm voting for them caaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuse..." Kshama Sawant doesn't get reelected cause lol we gerrymandered into districts last election cycle with no public input. (We used to be able to vote on all seats of city council - WHOOPS that's gone)

And especially with you-know-who the president I seriously doubt anyone currently on the council has to worry with how Seattle votes. :sigh: I hope, though. I'mma keep hoping.

It just blows my mind how much bullshit the Mariners, Times and Port keeps blowing up their rear end and they buy it. SODO is quite literally the perfect place for an arena, what with it being zoned for arenas and having all mass transit route through there (unlike Key Arena, which barely has any moving traffic going through there any hour of the day.) :sigh: x2

I still think the NHL would rather play in a refurbished Key Arena than have a team in Quebec.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cross posting from GDT:

Schlesische posted:

Friendly reminder, Connor McDavid is currently leading all scorers (with 10 more GP).
His p/g is not league leading but it is over 1p/g which is just absurd considering this is effectively his debut season given how little he played last year, add to that how much he's contributing to the team which is also pretty absurd. He's got 16 points over Draisatl in 2nd, and has almost doubled Eberle's contribution from third. So far, he's been having the season everyone tipped him to have last year - if not a better one.
Connor McJesus is for real y'all.

What I'm trying to say here, is Connor McDavid is going to light the Habs up like a loving bonfire tomorrow.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Martytoof posted:

The real irony behind Shaw being the Habs' You Can Play ambassador isn't that he said some bad stuff, it's that he can barely play himself.

At least he didn't put the Oilers on the automatic win powerplay for the first minute and a half of OT.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Are we still pretending the Pens are going to be rescued from their goalie situation by LV and not have to buy him out and eat the cap hit going forward?

Look at the goalies on the table. If Tampa moves Bishop, Fleury is going to be first cab off the rank for LV.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

cenotaph posted:

Murray is the goalie of the future. They'll either trade Fleury (either a team that his NTC doesn't cover or he might waive it) or buy him out, or bribe Vegas not to take Murray. They're keeping Murray no matter what.

Fleury must be protected by the rules of the expansion draft.

My mind absolutely blanked on that. I think the Pens are going to do everything in their power to protect Murray, but I don't know how much they can really do.

Furnaceface posted:

I think Raanta and Reimer would both be exposed and both way more likely to be picked up. For backups better than MAF the list is even longer. :v:

Raanta is pretty much a backup at this stage, and Reimer is the long term plan in Florida.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

You know some other team will be dumb and/or desperate enough to trade for him. Even if not, the Pens will buy him out if they have to, or bribe LV not to take MM.

Outside of Calgary and Dallas, who needs better goaltending... like pronto?

I don't see Calgary going after Fleury, they're more likely to have another crack at Bishop if they're convinced Elliot doesn't work out and I don't think Dallas has the salary cap room to make a move for Fleury that Pittsburgh (who are also constrained) can accept realistically.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

St. Louis unless they think Allen is going to rebound. Possibly a team like Winnipeg who has the cap space to absorb Maf's contract without worry and who might want two strong goalies even though Maf sucks but for some reason he's considered good

Based on their willingness to move on from Elliot, I'd say they believe Allen is the long-term answer and will probably give him until sometime next year to prove them wrong. I doubt Winnipeg want to put a bunch of money into an old goaltender unless they think he can teach Hellebuyck. Keep in mind they also have Eric Comrie to push Hellebuyck in a couple years time.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

As an Australian, I can confirm that making your own man-made island off the south east coast of Western Australia would create a nicer, and - at only the hundreds of millions - probably a cheaper alternative to living in Perth.

T-Bone posted:

I thought the Devils looked pretty good tonight, that was probably the quickest/crispest they've played since early in the year. Then again it was against Buffalo and Schneider played like Schneider.

To me the Sabres are a weird team in that every time I watch them they always look better than their record and team suggest they would or should.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i feel like sullivan has kept HBK apart for the most part during the year, and it's mostly to keep them away from other teams' defensive planning and video breakdown. then, come playoffs time, HBK returns, not missing a beat, overwhelming everyone with their blistering speed and devils may care attitude. kessel scores lots of goals, pens repeat!!!

Phil is doing fine. Equal third in goals with Connor Sheary, outright third in points and first in assists. Yeah, you read that right, first in assists.
The H and B parts aren't doing to bad either. It's not out of the realm of possibility that the team doesn't need them to all be on the same line all of the time and can use their flexibility to stretch the scoring out through the 2nd to 4th lines.

God I with the Habs could do that, instead it's "Who's burning up in RaduLove tonight!" vs "Who isn't getting on the scoreboard tonight!". And by "tonight" I mean, "while I watch in my pyjamas while eating two minute noodles for lunch".

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 7, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I realize I'm opening a can of worms here, but what exactly is the problem with Therrien? Aside from last year (which Price missed most of) his point percentage in his 2nd stint with the Habs hasn't been below .610 for the season. Is there some major malfunction that I'm missing? Sure he seems to play favourites, sideline youngsters and harbour grudges, but what coach doesn't do that? Who would be a better replacement than him?

I feel like he's a decent to good coach that has perhaps had the benefit of coaching the Habs through a positive period in their history, but overall hasn't done anything to actively harm the team in a significant way. I get that Emelin sucks, but Babcock still gives Polak a regular shift and AV can't get enough of Dan Girardi and they're widely regarded as the best there is. Every coach has their big tough crap defencemen they can't stop salivating over.

There is a view among Habs fans that the team is poorly coached for what it is and more specifically for what it has been.
Carey's prime is being wasted on a team that either isn't good enough, or isn't being used to it's potential.

Therrien:
- Has historically been a very "defensive" coach where the aim of his game was to make it so that the players were never too far away to defend properly and also to make it so that the Habs defence was focusing on bad angle and distance shots. This stymied a lot of offence, led to dump & chase and a poo poo load of shots at Carey (often from bad angles and distance, but better teams could get in under the defence and when they started scrambling it all started to come apart a bit).
- Only just started getting decent possession numbers (it started last year but Carey got injured and the team decided to take a massive dump on the ice in unison)
- Only just started to get his "I can't believe it's not dump and chase!" gameplan running (this may be because Danault and Galchenyuk are better puck moving top 6 centers than the Habs have previously relied on - the start of last year where Galchenyuk was at center also featured this)
- Still reverts to bad parts of the game plan when under pressure (example: the team has a tendency to enter what I call "icing cycle" where they don't even try a controlled exit - this has been less bad of late)
- Often has bad or at least sub-optimal lines, and his D-pairings are frequently disgusting
- When under pressure often resorts to line blendering meaning that the first line center could end up between Shaw and De La Rose on the third line for uncomfortably long stretches.
- Doesn't seem to know how to use the best talent Montreal has right now in Alex Galchenyuk

Ginette Reno posted:

Therrien is good at coaching trap and counter hockey which given the Habs' lackluster roster is probably what they should be playing. Their depth is poo poo. Not sure anything magical would happen with a new coach. They should be a shell up kind of team since their only real advantage is Price. Compared to other elite teams their forwards/d are quite lacking.

The team is not as bad as it's made out to be. Galchenyuk and Danault look like decent top 6 centers, Gallagher, Radulov and Pachioretty are definitely top-6 wingers. The third line is pretty good for a third line, even if Shaw does like taking poorly timed penalties. The fourth line is massively underrated (even if it is very streaky). The individual D-men are good although their pairings leave a lot to be desired (especially Weber-Emelin, my god that pylon fest is sickening).

It's no the Pens team he failed with, but it's not as bad as it's often made out to be.

TL;DR: He's bad with personnel, he's been bad tactically (but seems to be getting better) and most importantly he's spent years making a bad impression coaching a boring team to play their absolute most boringest and relying on his goaltender to be super human. He's far from the worst coach, but that .610 w/l is more on the skill of the middle-6, the Subban/Markov pairing (which was disgustingly good for a disgustingly long time) and Carey Price.

This is the result of the attempt I made at that stupid essay. Which turned out to be the most boring, lifeless thing anyone ever could have written since I am a science person and I don't know how to write essays properly, only reports.

Kilza posted:

Well, Boston did just fire Stanley Cup winner Claude Julien, and Julien can speak French, so... :v:

Fun fact, he's already been in Montreal. And I don't think he's ever coming back. Who knows, maybe we'll do a weird thing where we'll go Therrien, Julien, a bunch of people, Therrien, Julien.

On the report that the Team Leaders had a meeting with Bergevin: This is apparently year 5 of Bergevin's 5 year plan and Molson has told him to go all-in. He met with Therrien privately before he met with the team leaders so I highly doubt he wants to fire Therrien. It's almost certainly a "okay, I need a voice from inside the dressing room, what do you think I need to get?"

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 9, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I mean, people saying HAS is complaining about Therrien too much aren't entirely wrong.
There are worse coaches in the NHL. But they're almost universally coaching significantly worse teams. The only real competition is Hakstol and that's a pretty tight race.

But the difference is Therrien has been in for years and while he's not as bad as he was two years ago he's still bad and clearly doesn't get the players he has.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Is it?
Can we please?
Can it please be FIRING THERRIEN TIEM!?!?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

let's get tyler seguin talking, i bet he worked out some of the sexual physics here

After that story of him coming out of the Mexican sex museum, I kinda want him to win the cup again so he can use what he's learned.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm so happy, I'm wandering around country Australia in a Habs sweater on a 20 degree celsius morning with a massive fuckoff grin on my face. I heard the news when I was taking the family dog for a walk and I did a loving dance on the sidewalk.

However, I will pour one out for MT - its not that he was a bad coach, its that he was a bad coach for the Habs. He'd probably be a much better coach with the bruins, and I mean that unironically.

Having said that, gently caress YES THE HABS FIRED THERRIEN. OLE OLE OLEOLE. OOOOOOLLLLLLLLEEEEEEE OOOOLLLLLEEEEEEE.

DOOMocrat posted:

Carolina moves to Quebec (KARMANOS :argh: ), Peters goes to Dallas, Therrien goes to Quebec.

Therrien will be a panellist on Le Antichambre for the next 4 years until Quebec even becomes a thing?

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 15, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

Fake edit: I mean, yeah, they're probably going to make the playoffs because lolantic, but they getting bounded quick.

I definitely see the Sens beating the "THANK YOU SWEENEY" Bruins or Leafs. Fancy Cats or Bolts? Probably not (since they'll have to be on fire to make the playoffs), but they're a long shot at this stage.
And I mean, if it's Habs/Rags in the other match up, I'd be down to give the Sens a red hot chance at that match up too.

Getting back to your point though, anyone who wins through the Atlantic is winning the honour of getting their clocks cleaned by the Pittsburgh Penguins or a "Magic, Bullshit, Voodoo overcoming" Washington Capitals, so who really cares?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

grack posted:

Habs paying Julien $5M a year for the next 5 years.

Calling it now, NHL needs a salary cap for coaches

Aphrodite posted:

For that kind of money he better be on the second pairing.

Would be an improvement too.

The Habs and Leafs (among a few other teams) are distinct in that they make sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much money they don't have to give a poo poo and can quite happily afford to pay a coach 10mil a season if they want to.

In Australia, the AFL has a hard salary cap on players and a soft salary cap on "football spending", that might be a solution that stops it from getting out of hand, but it's not really necessary at this point imho.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

I guess we should wait till after the deadline to start an expansion thread, eh?

We have an expansion thread. There was some minor speculation earlier last year about who might get taken and what not, but there will be more as teams get mathematically eliminated from playoff contention/the playoffs themselves.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Nobody answered my question about leafs trades :smith:

Outside of young depth (Kasperi Kapanen, Freddie the Goat, Kerby Rychel for the leafs), it's hard to see a team wanting what Toronto has to sell that Toronto should want to sell.
The only exception is JVR, and you'd have more luck sending him off next year.

Koopa Kid posted:

Babcock went on the radio yesterday and basically said if you're a Leaf fan you should find something else to watch on deadline day. There's basically no purpose to the team adding a rental this year and no sense in dismantling a really young forward core to address the perceived need.

Best use of the cap space in the short term would be to keep doing what they've done the past couple of years; taking on other teams cap/roster burdens to stockpile picks and prospects. Nobody cares that Brooks Laich got banished to the Marlies but people sure appreciate picking up Connor Carrick for the trouble, Leafs need to keep on sifting marginal players to find their D depth. Most big-ticket guys available via trade or FA are going to be expensive and likely too old for this core, the team would be a lot better served trying to find guys on the cusp for cheap.

Carrick, Brown and Leivo could all be "we'll take them for this really expensive player and the highest pick we can shove at you" fodder, but they're all decent roster players now and it doesn't really make sense to send them off if you're not getting anything in return.
The Leafs aren't going to tank the back half of the season away so it's unlikely you're going to pursue a Brooks Laich-esque trade.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 18, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I don't think they should sell jvr to be honest - he's got to be providing some veteran stability to a group of otherwise very young guys.

His contract expires after next year and at 4.2m, it's a pretty decent bargain for a decent 2nd line scoring winger.
The return for someone like that is amazing, and you can always have a solid swing at getting him back in Free Agency.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

I like JVR a lot but I don't know if I want to be the team to be paying him free agent dollars in two years' time. He's one of the better scorers in the league but he's a total black hole on his own side of the red line, he's the sort of player people perceived early days Kessel/Kadri to be but in reality. I see the value in keeping him around, but if the Leafs were going to move someone in the near future I'd want it to be him over guys like Nylander/Brown/Kapanen.

If the leafs have a tough 2017-2018 I could definitely see them trading Brown or Kapanen for "Veteran Leadership". There's no way they trade Will Nye.
JVR on the other hand, I think he's gone after next season either way. You're going to want money left over for Marner/Matthews/Nylander and that 4.25 mil is going to come in handy.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Habs played like poo poo but... ...gonna take more than one practice for Julien to get their heads out of their asses but I saw enough positives today

I didn't watch the game, but yeah this is my approach.
Carey getting above .900 and making at least two ridiculous saves makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

N: McDavid now has 20 goals this season. Oilers beat Chicago, solidify hold on playoffs spot.

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps have dropped two now coming off their bye week. Now's the time to get some points on them.

quoting this for later.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Woah cool a stat adjusting algorithm. Wait, except the stats they are adjusting are perfectly acceptable metrics of performance.

Then you look at the person in the second spot and... hey whatdoyaknow? Kari Lehtonen?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Exactly! Which is why it is Dubnyk's trophy to lose.

I mean, my takeaway is that Lehtonen is potentially a halfway decent goalie 80% of the time, he's just saddled with what might be bottom-3 defense league wide. I don't know how to reconcile the fact he regularly flubs routine saves.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

man it must really suck to have a bunch of good young dynamic players i can't begin to imagine your plight condolences

sorry about your one bad defenseman, is he also getting over 4 million for the next 5 years or

Flipside: They're fans of a team that has been garbage for the overwhelming majority of the last 50 years, not just 25 of them. A team that has had no hope for over a decade until this season, and what hope they do have comes with major strings attached.

This is "Oh I'm sorry you have a poo poo coach, why don't you cry into your 'Atlantic Division Leaders' T-Shirt" all over again. Just because your team is doing well, or has the potential for a bright future doesn't mean you should blatantly ignore the glaring problems with your team.

Yes the Leafs have a good young core but they also give a D-pairing of Roman Polak and Matt Hunwick like 15-20 minutes a game and they chose to go after players like Matt Martin and Ben Smith instead of players who are going to be actual contributors to their next cup run.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

To me, Jay and Dan came across as being ready made for 5-10 minute youtube video sensations anyway.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

stab posted:

Brendon morrow is married to Guy Carbonneau's daughter (Guy was coaching him at one point no?)

They were teammates in 1999-00.

stab posted:

And for somehow what the gently caress reason aren't Max Pacioretty and Maxim fn Afinogenov of all people brother in laws?

If it's a Habs video, is a trivia video and involves Max Pacioretty, this fact will probably come up.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Kale posted:

I still think Julien is and will prove to be a way better coach than Therrien in the long run for obvious reasons but it's crystal clear the problem isn't a coaching one after all. The teams just not nearly as good as it always appears to be to open seasons.

This kind of month happens once every year. Last year it happened to go for... oh, about 6.

I don't think we're on track for that, but the Habs better hope they get the second spot in the playoffs otherwise they getting bounced by whoever comes 4th in the Metro so hard.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I see HAS.gif is doing the rounds again.

Every single time, it is always good for a laugh.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Let me start this off by saying I don't think this will happen, even though I very much hope.

So, let's say the Habs continue losing.

How many losses in a row do you think it would take for them to fire Julien? Does he make it through the season regardless even if they lose the next 20?

What if they lose 5, win 1, and repeat that pattern for just 4 more wins on the season? Do they keep him?

If they miss the playoffs there's going to be a total cleanout at the end of the season. The only one who might survive is Waite and I can definitely see him going if Bergevin gets fired anyway.

I don't know if Julien goes because Bergevin goes but Bergevin's arse is on the hotseat right now not Julien.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Okay really what the hell is wrong with you?

They're a Leafs fan.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Which team is going to break Minnesotan hearts this year?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

I'm not too familiar with the Habs but was Desharnais really that bad?

He was ludicrously overused, seems to struggle at the NHL level when he's not with Pachioretty and - this is the reason why he's really bad - him being literally the only francophone on the Habs for a couple years there made him l'antichambres main pet. I think they finally got over him last year after Danault arrived.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Pornographic Memory posted:

is desharnais good at faceoffs? peter chiarelli seems like the kind of gm who'd go "we're getting destroyed on the dot, we need a good faceoff man at the deadline"

Desharnais is bad at:
- Faceoffs
- Puck battles on open ice
- Puck battles in the corners
- Defense
- Physicality

He is good at:
- Shootouts

He is meh at:
- Everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Whatever anger you may have over the result will be overwhelmed with laughter if the Habs actually do trade for, wait for it,

Steve Ott.

• Locked thread