Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Where's the gif of McDonagh's sweet goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eichel is really good at it's probably a bit of a shame that he'll be overlooked compared to some of the other guys like McDavid, Matthews, Laine, etc

Getting hurt to start this year didn't help for sure

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

xzzy posted:

It's been done, sort of. From about a month ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImJtHwLpTOc

No idea how they manage to control the puck, I guess that's what being a professional hockey player gets you.

getting absolutely soaked by rain while wearing hockey equipment sounds miserable.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

CBJSprague24 posted:

Who are the three teams to win coming off the bye and who did they beat? It was mentioned the other night during the Nashville game those teams are 3-10-1 coming off the break so far.

e- I guess it's 3-12-4 and 0-8-3 in February.

The Leafs beat the Rangers when both teams were coming off the bye week

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

we live in such a ridiculous and self centered society...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

MacKenzie had an article about those two hits and why he thinks one was suspension worthy and one wasn't, according to the current rules. If you disagree with the rules that's one thing but as they are written and applied it's not that inconsistent

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

annnnnd that's why the Rangers didn't want to give him a big contract

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Haven't Brian Burke teams always been one of the league leaders in penalties

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

they do have touch up offsides though?

they're awful quick to blow the play dead if guys don't immediately try to exit the zone and they're also ridiculously strict about shooting the puck in at the blueline if a team mate is offsides instead of allowing a touch up (I assume this is because if the puck is over the line at all on your stick even if you're shooting it in then they consider if offsides if a teammate is in the zone)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

grack posted:

If you're offsides and can't touch the puck you could still gain an advantage by forechecking or impeding the opposing player with the puck. You have to make a concerted effort to leave the zone once offsides is declared by the linesman.

Yes but they sometimes seem to blow the play dead before players even have a chance to respond to the offsides and leave the zone

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

isn't "the war room" like one guy who has to make the call on all of these games

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

I gotta say if you watch Letang long enough at least part of you will think old tyme writers are correct because him and his pea brain make a poo poo ton of hilariously bad plays.

Then you realize he makes that many bad plays because he has the puck all of the time and is probably a net positive just because of that.

Letang is super good and the only saving grace is that he's hilariously injury prone

Also a giant shithead. A more skilled Raffi Torres if you will.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

too bad miller hosed it up

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

it's a pretty sweet pass to be honest but he didn't "anticipate a pass for a teammate sitting on the bench" he watched Miller get on the ice and skate to a position to receive the pass.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

thats also what the rangers should be doing with grabner probably but since theyre in the playoffs they wont

yeah one of the best teams in the league isn't going to sell at the deadline

e: like I know everyone is all "the rangers aren't good enough to win the cup they shouldn't even try they should sell their assets and rebuild through the draft!" but seriously they're a top 5 team in the league when has one of those ever sold at the deadline with the idea "oh we need to stockpile our picks so we can rebuild the team to be competitive in the future"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Overwined posted:

I gotta say it. The only reason the Rangers can stay competitive despite their sub-par defense is AV and his offense-first system. Hank's got HHoF on lock, so who cares if his late career stats slump. Get that man a ring! (ps, thanks Vancouver).

Part of me argues that AV's evaluation of defense is what has led to the state of it...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Clendenning looks like he's about to gently caress up that post but somehow he actually didn't

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Go gently caress yourself. There's a big loving difference between a player who chooses to engage in a contact sport and a referee who gets loving attacked.

I'm pretty sure the "keep your head up!" comment was tongue in cheek and mocking don cherry and his habit of victim blaming

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

pls stay in the west

loving canada

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zybl0re posted:

Montreal's defense is just kinda poo poo, isn't it. :I

if they didn't have that boat anchor weighing them down...

which one, you say?

e: Scott Stevens has the mumps. gently caress that stupid rear end in a top hat

Levitate fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 28, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The RECAPITATOR posted:

fantastic stuff - I mean... I guess I don't "get" hockey team management...

neither do many GMs

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I can't believe MAF still has a fuckin' soul patch

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Man the Rangers world is full of people calling it a horrible screw up that they didn't get Shattenkirk

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

The Rangers could beat any of the other Metro teams. They wouldn't be favored against the Pens or Caps but it's not outlandish to see them beating either.

yeah and getting Shatty would have given them a big boost but it's been reported rightly or wrongly that the Blues wanted Miller or Skjei and a pick from the Rangers because it'd be a trade for an extended player

Which is definitely a no go

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Jovial Cow posted:

I'm really not a fan of his, after losing Andrew Gross and Rick Carpiniello its getting difficult to find someone who both covers the team and offers somewhat reasonable/digestible analysis. It's to the point where the NY post with Brooks and Cyrgalls is actually becoming one of the better options.

I added Sean Hartnett but between him posting a bunch of soccer poo poo I don't care about and going all in on Shattenkirk and then saying the Rangers absolutely blew it by not getting him, I might dump that follow. I still follow Carps twitter though he's not officially working for a paper or anything

e: Girardi's dead but unfortunately only for 2 weeks

Levitate fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 28, 2017

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hawks are also supposedly shopping Pokka

I'd ship Klein to Chicago for Pokka and a pick and home Pokka gets back on track

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Chad Sexington posted:

It's an uncomfortable sensation to be higher on the Rags' playoff prospects than Rags fans as a whole. You're a +42 goal differential for crying out loud.

It's more that Pitts and the Caps are pretty tough matchups and we KNOW the Rangers D is terrible

e: they have a great goal differential because they can (usually) score a lot of goals, and they can (usually) get good goaltending. The D is fine if they can quickly regain the puck and start the other way but they are terrible at defending a cycle and horrendous in front of their own net

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

that's pretty much the perfect use for Boyle? I mean the PP stuff is kinda blah but he can be useful there and it's not the first time he's played that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rangers are super bad when they seem to forget that playing fast and loose sloppy hockey will get you your poo poo pushed in at this point in the season against good teams

Such poo poo play in the neutral zone and with the puck

• Locked thread