Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I cant even think of what to google for this. Is it a product already?

I would like build a system to take in "high" resolution and frame rate video and decimate it down to a lower resolution (that is select-able e.g. I can pick 480, 320p, etc.) as well as select frame rate output (7fps, 15, 30, 45, etc.)

It needs to accomplish this with less than a 250ms delay between the input and output, the less delay the better (50ms is much much better than 500)

How to accomplish this? (Budget: <$5000)

EDIT: If it matters, the down converted output would then be fed into another computer.

EDIT2: Are there video cards that would allow me to do this, selectively decimate the input?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I would take a look at capture cards designed for streaming by Hauppage, El Gato, and others. However, I think your main issue is they won't output that LOW a resolution.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DOOMocrat posted:

I would take a look at capture cards designed for streaming by Hauppage, El Gato, and others. However, I think your main issue is they won't output that LOW a resolution.

I'll look in to this tonight! If I can get something that streams to a screen pretty fast hopefully I can just the output from the video card be that low and make it full screen. I think the issue there will be latency but I've never done it before.

Anyone know how to make my videocard output XXfps?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 10, 2017

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
For that low of a resolution I'd just use ffmpeg. It's CPU bound but at that low of a resolution it doesn't matter.

This is also a pretty robust nginx plugin used to build the streams for use by a web player

https://github.com/arut/nginx-rtmp-module

Rereading your OP this is exactly what you are looking for, I think the capture card route is a red hearing if the video is already captured in a format ffmpeg can understand. You'd take the incoming stream use this nginx plugin and then need a JavaScript web-player to act as a front end for the video. Most of these have the ability to figure out what quality you can handle and downgrade gracefully.

There are also commercial options if you don't want to screw with compiling your own nginx, like wowza and SaaS options.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 11, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Punkbob posted:

For that low of a resolution I'd just use ffmpeg. It's CPU bound but at that low of a resolution it doesn't matter.

This is also a pretty robust nginx plugin used to build the streams for use by a web player

https://github.com/arut/nginx-rtmp-module

Rereading your OP this is exactly what you are looking for, I think the capture card route is a red hearing if the video is already captured in a format ffmpeg can understand. You'd take the incoming stream use this nginx plugin and then need a JavaScript web-player to act as a front end for the video. Most of these have the ability to figure out what quality you can handle and downgrade gracefully.

There are also commercial options if you don't want to screw with compiling your own nginx, like wowza and SaaS options.

This looks like a very good plan, I will give it a try and report back!

• Locked thread