Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Here's a post about the New York State Primaries on Thursday, September 13.

Here's the who's who guide to New York politics.

To people coming here from the NYC LAN thread: Welcome! Feel free to come here to chat about politics in our beloved city and state, and leave the pizza/neighborhood/subway/etc. chat over there.

To people who don't know who the hell that first group of people are: Welcome! This is a thread dedicated to politics in New York, both city and state. I'll make a post about the important cast of characters in a future post (probably tomorrow see above), but in a nutshell: New York is a very blue state, but it's not a model of good state government at all. The Assembly is locked down by Democrats, the State Senate is traditionally friendly to Republicans, and the governor usually balances out the two sides. For whatever reason, the governor, leader of the Assembly, and leader of the Senate hold almost all of the power in what gets passed in Albany, the state capital. Individual members of the legislature don't really have all that much ability to get things done on their own as a result. Because of this weird balance of power, New York isn't as progressive as it could be, in spite of being one of the first to pass a (gradual) $15 minimum wage and to legalize same-sex marriage through its legislature instead of a court order. And I haven't even gotten into the breakaway faction of Democrats in the State Senate that keeps Republicans in power even though the Dems have a numerical advantage.

New York politics is also corrupt as hell. Last year, both the Republican leader of the State Senate and the Democratic leader of the Assembly were arrested, tried, and convicted of corruption thanks to the efforts of the federal attorney for the district of New York that includes Albany. Other individual members have been busted for skimming money off of nonprofit health clinics that were owned by him (first sentence of his Wiki bio says it all), slashing his girlfriend with a shard of glass (served time, is free and wants to get back into local politics), making unwanted advances towards a female staffer during a game of online Scrabble (not charged with anything but it did ruin his campaign to jump from the Assembly to City Council), assaulting a New York Post reporter (faced a possible felony charge but ended up serving no time in spite of a previous anger-related incident), and smacking her 13-year-old son with a broom because of his grades (the felony charge has been dropped; she still faces up to a year in jail for a misdemeanor charge, but she probably won't get any).

New York City's politics are pretty interesting too, but Albany controls most of its affairs in spite of the current mayor wanting more money and more say over its affairs. City-wide elections are happening this year, and several City Council seats are wide open due to the incumbents being forced to step down due to term limits. Also, the mayor is being investigated for possible campaign finance-related corruption, but it's unclear whether that will derail his bid for a second term.

As noted famous New Yorker Taylor Swift once sang, "Welcome to New York- it's waiting for you."

And remember:

https://twitter.com/desusnice/status/1078477904894410753?s=21

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 02:02 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Fun fact about New York: Everything north of NYC besides the cities is literally Alabama.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
slammed that motherfuckin bookmark button

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I'm here for you

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
What happens North of Bear Mountain stays North of Bear Mountain.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if this guy can be a state senator from New York, any goon can get elected

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

paul tonko is a neat congressman who represents the congressional district i'm originally from

the previous representative was kirsten gillibrand, who is a poo poo

also cuomo is the worst

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
I look forward to lurking the poo poo out of this thread.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eagerly awaiting more lurid tales of political corruption and malfeasance in this fair city.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
new yorkers suck. much like londoners. its not some unique place

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GalacticAcid posted:

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I look forward to lurking the poo poo out of this thread.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/826869092619522048

I'm going to this. Anyone else?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cuomo is ... *check notes* pretty bad.

But possibly scared of getting his rear end primaried.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

I am as well as the three or four other people who already posted in the thread saying they're going.

It's definitely going to be one of those things where I show up just to stand outside, cold, for two hours.

Edit: lol sorry, thought this was LAN

unbutthurtable has issued a correction as of 15:13 on Feb 2, 2017

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hillary for mayor

For infinite laffs

E: of nyc

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
new york is a poo poo state full of horrible people, most of them in elected office

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i went there *twice* and nobody once said 'I'm walkin heah' on the street

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Cuomo is bad for a whole buttload of reasons! Here is one of them!

He created a program called Start-Up New York a few years back with the intent of bringing jobs back to Upstate (Cuomo has decided to be a governor for Upstate while ignoring or outright cutting funding for NYC wherever he can, which isn't the worst idea when everyone will still vote for him).

If you love watching NY1 (and who doesn't?), you've probably seen the commercials, and there's the problem - $53 million has been spent on advertising to create just 408 jobs. Before we get all Keynesian about the stimulus of advertising dollars, Start-Up's central tenet has been that companies moving here will pay no taxes for a decade, losing the state even more money before the jobs are created.

Cuomo's solution? Rename the project, and keep fuckin' that chicken!

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Our blood thirsty mayor spares our groundhog it's life again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/nyregion/staten-island-groundhog-mayor-bill-de-blasio-chuck.html

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

GalacticAcid posted:

same

Also I'm an Albanite (Albanian? Albanyer?) so ask me anything you'd like about literally ruining lives for millions of NYC citizens

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
What's the story with Cuomo's constitutional amendment to protect LGBTQ people? Is that announcement just a publicity stunt or is he actually doing it?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Fun fact about New York: Everything north of NYC besides the cities is literally Alabama.

Buffalo is Birmingham

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

What's the story with Cuomo's constitutional amendment to protect LGBTQ people? Is that announcement just a publicity stunt or is he actually doing it?

you mean the one to add roe v wade?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

What's the story with Cuomo... just a publicity stunt?

Always

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose posted:

i go by the Slipknot philosophy of humanity: people = poo poo

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jose posted:

We gave the world both Trump and Clinton boyo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
hello I'm a poo poo person

thank you for creating a thread specific to our poo poo

My family-in-law is kind of entangled in NY politics, more on a legacy basis. family get-togethers are... interesting to say the least

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Feb 2, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ol Standard Retard posted:

My family-in-law is kind of entangled in NY politics, more on a legacy basis. family get-togethers are... interesting to say the least
please tell us more

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I know that state succession is unconstitutional but would it be legal for us to give Staten Island to New Jersey? Has there been any large areas moved between states in the past century? I feel like this one simple trick could help us with some of our problems.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Omnikin posted:

same

Also I'm an Albanite (Albanian? Albanyer?) so ask me anything you'd like about literally ruining lives for millions of NYC citizens

Myself as well! Plus, for work I deal with high levels of both State and City Government. I can tell you this, Cuomo is a rank amateur compared to DiBlasio, when it comes to ruining the lives of residents of NYC, but because it's NYC it's going to plod along no matter how horrible the leadership is. To Diblasio's credit he's brought in some pretty good help to run the various Departments, now if he could stop meddling in the day to day efforts of those Departments, that would be something.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

So remember after Sandy Hook when there was a moment when maybe it felt like there migth be some kind of popular movement for gun control? Remember when Andrew Cuomo went on TV and, spit flying from his mouth, raged like a lunatic about how one doesn't need 7 bullets to kill a deer? Then he put forth the SAFE act, probably one of the dumbest pieces of gun control legislation in history? Yeah, so point being, Cuomo loves to jump on bandwagons. He has neither the brains nor the grace of his father, nor so far as I can tell, any animating philosophy beyond "Andrew Cuomo". Of course it's a publicity stunt.

edit: I should add, as an upstate gunhaver, the only upside of the SAFE act (for the rest of the country, at least) is that it 100% assures that Cuomo's presidential ambitions are ruined

gobbagool has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Feb 2, 2017

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Maed posted:

I know that state succession is unconstitutional but would it be legal for us to give Staten Island to New Jersey? Has there been any large areas moved between states in the past century? I feel like this one simple trick could help us with some of our problems.

Many of us upstate would be glad to give everything south of Orange and Putnam county to NJ. You could then outlaw guns and cars and meat and whatever else you don't like and leave the rest of us alone

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

please tell us more

and get my poo poo doxxed by you fuckers? sounds awesome!

I'm not seriously worried and it's only the briefest of entanglement: one side of Grandparents generation did a lot of historic preservation work in the wake of the Moses/Jacobs Wars, one ended up as Commissioner of Parks for a while. There's a small family foundation now that promotes progressive orgs in the city. Other side was big in the nascent musical theater community in the 1930s.

My father in law is working for Parks at a high level now. i don't end up with any particularly juicy gossip or inside track, I just occasionaly end up like, eating dinner at Gracie Mansion or going on tours of Rikers' Island

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Feb 2, 2017

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

gobbagool posted:

Many of us upstate would be glad to give everything south of Orange and Putnam county to NJ. You could then outlaw guns and cars and meat and whatever else you don't like and leave the rest of us alone

Sorry but you'll take my antiquing and hiking in Cold Spring from my cold dead hands. Which will probably be easy with all your guns and stuff.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

gobbagool posted:

Easier for Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Manhattan to secede as a new state, and let Old New York and New Jersey fight over Staten Island.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Maed posted:

Sorry but you'll take my antiquing and hiking in Cold Spring from my cold dead hands. Which will probably be easy with all your guns and stuff.

You're certainly welcome to keep your "country houses" here and your money will continue to be good at every overpriced 'antique' shop on rte 20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Maed posted:

States trading territory is legal but it requires both states and Congress to agree on it. Staten Island once voted to become independent (as a new city still part of NYS) but were talked down by Guiliani.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So what's the deal with the breakaway faction of Dems, and why have they existed for so long. Do the rules of the Senate favor it or something?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
and how the hell do I get on my community board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gobbagool posted:

lol yeah the city is the real burden on the state