Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
New York City, New York State, 10108

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Maed posted:

Sorry but you'll take my antiquing and hiking in Cold Spring from my cold dead hands. Which will probably be easy with all your guns and stuff.

i lived in cold spring for the better part of a year and the only good things about it are:

the pizza is really good

and there's that nifty underground passage like in pokemon

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
This is a good article about the Peralta thing: http://www.villagevoice.com/news/a-movement-grows-to-unseat-a-turncoat-queens-democrat-9636815

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

So what's the deal with the breakaway faction of Dems, and why have they existed for so long. Do the rules of the Senate favor it or something?

Republicans are the cool kids with the fancy toys, but only politicians with a D next to their name are electable in parts of the state. It's a strange artifact of how 1. the national split between the parties doesn't really represent state and city issues very well and 2. election turnout is terrible in general, doubly so for state elections, and triply so for primaries.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

zeal posted:

i went there *twice* and nobody once said 'I'm walkin heah' on the street

Maybe we all forgot about it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Republicans are the cool kids with the fancy toys, but only politicians with a D next to their name are electable in parts of the state. It's a strange artifact of how 1. the national split between the parties doesn't really represent state and city issues very well and 2. election turnout is terrible in general, doubly so for state elections, and triply so for primaries.

I wish we had the Canadian system of parties

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Other side was big in the nascent musical theater community in the 1930s.
I know you probably figured nobody could possibly care, but as NYC LAN goons can testify, nothing could've given me worse grabby hands

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Anne Whateley posted:

I know you probably figured nobody could possibly care, but as NYC LAN goons can testify, nothing could've given me worse grabby hands

We refer to Hal Prince as "Uncle Hal". he's not the family member though. This has been a fun exercise in expressing how neat the connection is without having my name be extremely easily googleable. Although I'm sure it already is on SA at least.

It's a strange artifact of how 1. the national split between the parties doesn't really represent state and city issues very well and 2. election turnout is terrible in general, doubly so for state elections, and triply so for primaries.

I think these general points can't be emphasized enough, and I'd add that a huge number of voters think of the "split" between the parties in terms of how it existed I dunno. In 1988, rather than in 2017.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 22:19 on Feb 2, 2017

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol yeah the city is the real burden on the state

It's obviously not a financial burden, but there's a huge cultural divide, and it really doesn't make sense to pretend it's one state. Look at the SAFE act as a perfect example. What makes perfect sense to a NY Times writer living in the upper east side, makes zero sense to a guy in suburban albany, or buffalo. The cultural sensibilities of NYC should not drive politics for the whole state, but they do. Not too many people upstate would claim that USNY would be better off financially without NYC, but most would also be willing to pay the price. NYC cultural hegemony is strident and oppressive enough that most would be willing to be less wealthy to get away from it, which is one of the reasons that USNY has been bleeding people so hard for so long

edit; yeah I get there are tons of other factors in the de-peopling of USNY. I was 10 when they announced the chevy foundry in tonawanda was closing, like 30k ppl lost their jobs overnight including most of my friends dads. a fair chunk of them moved to florida

gobbagool has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Feb 2, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

It's not even this necessarily. (Well, except Simcha Felder who is possibly the DINO-iest DINO to ever DINO. Liked even before the IDC was a thing he was caucusing republican I think.)

A lot of the IDC dudes are actually to the left of a lot of loyalist Dems on many issues - most of them have signed on to do sponsor the going-nowhere-fast single payer healthcare bill that got reintroduced for the 25th time this week.

What it's about is power, money, and (maintaining a lack of) ethics rules. There are substantial financial benefits to majority seniority in the New York State legislature. Being a committee chair is like getting a 40% raise in some cases. The IDC Dems have basically traded control of the chamber for their own personal gain. The main common ground they have with the republicans they caucus with is a commitment to totally shutting down any sort of ethics reform legislation that might stop their gravy train. Beyond that, the relationship is entirely transactional.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don't think people should have to die in the cities so some rear end in a top hat in Owego can have an assault rife and buy bunkers full of ammo with no paper trail. What undue burdens does the SAFE act place on upstate? Even the nys sheriffs were only opposed to the assault weapons and high-capacity mag restrictions. It was written specifically to stop another sandy hook massacre, which most certainly didn't occur in the inner city

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

theflyingexecutive posted:

I don't think people should have to die in the cities so some rear end in a top hat in Owego can have an assault rife and buy bunkers full of ammo with no paper trail. What undue burdens does the SAFE act place on upstate? Even the nys sheriffs were only opposed to the assault weapons and high-capacity mag restrictions. It was written specifically to stop another sandy hook massacre, which most certainly didn't occur in the inner city

people in cities werent/arent dying because a rifle had a pistol grip or a 'muzzle brake'. Your statement is perfect NYC. What exactly about the SAFE act would have prevented Sandy Hook? Even your statement about the NYS sheriffs (which I believe you mean the NYS Police) shows how little you understand things. The union for the NYSP told the state to go gently caress itself and advised it's members to avoid enforcing the law, which they largely have since it is correctly seen as meddling from a bunch of culture war imperialists.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

gobbagool posted:

It's obviously not a financial burden, but there's a huge cultural divide, and it really doesn't make sense to pretend it's one state. Look at the SAFE act as a perfect example. What makes perfect sense to a NY Times writer living in the upper east side, makes zero sense to a guy in suburban albany, or buffalo. The cultural sensibilities of NYC should not drive politics for the whole state, but they do. Not too many people upstate would claim that USNY would be better off financially without NYC, but most would also be willing to pay the price. NYC cultural hegemony is strident and oppressive enough that most would be willing to be less wealthy to get away from it, which is one of the reasons that USNY has been bleeding people so hard for so long

edit; yeah I get there are tons of other factors in the de-peopling of USNY. I was 10 when they announced the chevy foundry in tonawanda was closing, like 30k ppl lost their jobs overnight including most of my friends dads. a fair chunk of them moved to florida

According to a SUNY study in 2011, upstate NY has 36% of the state's population, generates 28% of its tax revenues, and receives 42% of its spending. Take away NYC and its suburbs and you'd basically have to slash per capita state spending by a third, which is enormous.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

gobbagool posted:

people in cities werent/arent dying because a rifle had a pistol grip or a 'muzzle brake'. Your statement is perfect NYC. What exactly about the SAFE act would have prevented Sandy Hook? Even your statement about the NYS sheriffs (which I believe you mean the NYS Police) shows how little you understand things. The union for the NYSP told the state to go gently caress itself and advised it's members to avoid enforcing the law, which they largely have since it is correctly seen as meddling from a bunch of culture war imperialists.

i am going to take away your guns

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Mechafunkzilla posted:

According to a SUNY study in 2011, upstate NY has 36% of the state's population, generates 28% of its tax revenues, and receives 42% of its spending. Take away NYC and its suburbs and you'd basically have to slash per capita state spending by a third, which is enormous.

Yeah I realize that. It doesn't make anyone in usny like NYC any more though

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

DoctorWhat posted:

i am going to take away your guns

Basically nobody registered their ars and aks so the law has been ignored. Make libs furious with this one easy trick!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

gobbagool posted:

As someone who enjoys shooting all kinds of guns and has no problem with gun ownership, lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gobbagool posted:

Yeah I realize that. It doesn't make anyone in usny like NYC any more though

capital region peeps only dislike nyc peeps who come upstate. everyone who i've ever known liked nyc itself.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

gobbagool posted:

Basically nobody registered their ars and aks so the law has been ignored. Make libs furious with this one easy trick!

So, if the laws are ineffective and everyone still has their guns, why does anyone give a poo poo? Where's the strident cultural oppression you're going on about? How does NYC's supposed political hegemony (which is absurd, the state senate is dominated by upstate Republicans and has been for 50 years) affect the lives of upstate residents in a negative way?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So, if the laws are ineffective and everyone still has their guns, why does anyone give a poo poo? Where's the strident cultural oppression you're going on about? How does NYC's supposed political hegemony (which is absurd, the state senate is dominated by upstate Republicans and has been for 50 years) affect the lives of upstate residents in a negative way?

Let's be fair. The senate is dominated by suburban republicans who play Dems from the city and upstate republicans off against each other to maintain control.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The mail order ammo ban is the big thing, and the overnight criminalization of ~1 million or so otherwise law abiding citizens is the other. If you're not a formerly law abiding citizen who didn't want to turn your rifle over to Prince Andrew, it's probably hard for you to grasp why this would piss people off so bad.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Cubey posted:

capital region peeps only dislike nyc peeps who come upstate. everyone who i've ever known liked nyc itself.

Agreed, that's what I meant, we all love going to the city, and hell I work there. I don't carry there though!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

gobbagool posted:

The mail order ammo ban is the big thing, and the overnight criminalization of ~1 million or so otherwise law abiding citizens is the other. If you're not a formerly law abiding citizen who didn't want to turn your rifle over to Prince Andrew, it's probably hard for you to grasp why this would piss people off so bad.

Guns are for pussies and your "UPSTATE RULEZ DOWNSTATE DROOLZ" shtick is really bad.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ol Standard Retard posted:

We refer to Hal Prince as "Uncle Hal". he's not the family member though. This has been a fun exercise in expressing how neat the connection is without having my name be extremely easily googleable. Although I'm sure it already is on SA at least.
I'm not trying to google you at all but hnnggh. Hnnnnnngh

I sang for him once, I can probably call him Uncle Hal too right

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm really enjoying how this thread is turning into an upstate vs NYC slap fight.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm really enjoying how this thread is turning into an upstate vs NYC slap fight.

So it's true to the title.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LmaoTheKid posted:

So it's true to the title.

There's more of us, and we make more money, and we have our cultural hegemony, so I'm thinking we'll win.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

you're closer to jersey tho

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all new yorkers, upstate downstate finger lakes buffalo adirondaks and everywhere else, can all agree: new jersey is the real enemy

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Cubey posted:

all new yorkers, upstate downstate finger lakes buffalo adirondaks and everywhere else, can all agree: new jersey is the real enemy

My dark secret is I kind of like New Jersey :/

I can't even make fun of their driving because it might be worse on Long Island.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Guns are bad and I wish they'd be taken away like you're all so paranoid about. Thank you.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

zakharov posted:

Guns are bad and I wish they'd be taken away like you're all so paranoid about. Thank you.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cubey posted:

all new yorkers, upstate downstate finger lakes buffalo adirondaks and everywhere else, can all agree: Long Island is the real enemy

ftfy

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Awkward Davies posted:

There's more of us, and we make more money, and we have our cultural hegemony, so I'm thinking we'll win.

Yes we get it, Chuck Schumer is your president

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

gobbagool posted:

Yes we get it, Chuck Schumer is your president

And Wayne Lapierre is yours?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Can we all shut the gently caress up about our petty geographical differences and instead focus on a worthwhile goal like getting Anthony Weiner's pixel-censored penis into the primaries for 2020

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

no war except class war

getting muddled in gun rights is playing into the hands of the elites

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

goose willis posted:

Can we all shut the gently caress up about our petty geographical differences and instead focus on a worthwhile goal like getting Anthony Weiner's pixel-censored penis into the primaries for 2020

I'm down. Wiener was pretty cool politically. Dude just can't stop sending dick pics.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Trump once spoke about the size of his mongo member but can this throbbin' thickie stand up to the power phallus of a permanently-erect weirdo from loving Brooklyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

NYDN headline after first debate: Weiner hangs dong.