Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

mediaphage posted:

yeah yeah bring it on but i think this is, finally, an android tablet that's interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESfLrSaxYyY

the video is awful tho

"it will have a 60 Hz refresh rate and 60-120 frames per second"

technically true, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

qirex posted:

the boox palma looks interesting but it’s clearly a second device and not a phone and a little pricy [$279] for a one trick pony

oh that is dope i hadn't seen this before

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

qirex posted:

the boox palma looks interesting but it’s clearly a second device and not a phone and a little pricy [$279] for a one trick pony

they invented a pda?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

they invented a pda?

4/10

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
don't get me wrong, i'm as excited as anyone about the prospect of a new pda in 2024

it's a shame it's android, but honestly what else would it be?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

time to ditch my iphone for a nokia candy bar and a boox palma

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lammo

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/03/users-complain-that-the-samsung-galaxy-s24-stylus-smells-bad/

https://9to5google.com/2024/03/22/samsung-ultra-s-pen-stink-galaxy-note/

https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/1bixq94/why_does_my_s_pen_smell_so_bad/

samsung support posted:

This isn't anything to be concerned about. While the S Pen is in its holster, it is close to the internal components of the phone, which will generate heat while in use, and cause the plastic to heat up. This can smell like burning, but it is similar to the smell you might experience after leaving your car in the sun for a few hours. The seats and plastic fittings in the vehicle might smell hot, but this will diminish after it cools.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

YOSPOS > Andoird: youre smelling it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

st-ink pen

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

I have this one trick pony and its main win is that it's bigger and lighter than my phone. eink settings and volume/page turn buttons can be set per-app and I have long piano fingers so holding it is easy, and less of a balancing act than, say, a paperwhite

but yeah the price is a bit high compared to the glut of ereaders. the build quality is okay and I had to return one for a more even frontlight. as an apple user both are annoying, but maybe that's par for weird android devices? I also feel a bit silly carrying a second phone-sized device, but for bed and couch reading it's really comfortable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have one of the boox android eink tablets, and quite like it. it is not a slam dunk for anything, and is very pricy really, but the flexibility does pay off here and there. biggest bit for me being that my municipal library have an android app for ebooks/audiobooks, which i can then easily use. there's some workflow to put borrowed books onto other ereaders, but it is a lot fiddlier than just having the app right there to tap at the thing you want.

also some document annotation, where it being general android helps me in that marking students reports happens in a web-app which i can just browse to on the thing.

i'll absolutely keep an eye on the transflective lcd one too though, once you put android and a semi-proper soc on it you're already harming battery life enough to undermine a lot of the eink sell, so perhaps you might as well get a better refresh rate as well. or maybe i'll get an ipad.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 27, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i wish there were some way to interact with the modern web via e-ink that didn't suck rear end.

there isn't, but you could almost imagine such a thing.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, being android-based made it super easy to get basically any ebook program on it, which is a huge plus. I also use it for my rss feeds and news, too, since the screen is easier to stare at at length

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i wish there were some way to interact with the modern web via e-ink that didn't suck rear end.

there isn't, but you could almost imagine such a thing.

AvantGo but for ereaders would be so good

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the s stands for "smelly"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

AvantGo but for ereaders would be so good

old-rear end opera, where everything is proxied and then non-static elements are removed or just turned into static elements without having to reflow the page

i can think of quite a few reasons this wouldn't actually work, but that's the dream. or just present everything to me in reader mode by default

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

old-rear end opera, where everything is proxied and then non-static elements are removed or just turned into static elements without having to reflow the page

i can think of quite a few reasons this wouldn't actually work, but that's the dream. or just present everything to me in reader mode by default

yesssssss

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

idk i have to imagine you’d only want to be reading text and maybe looking at basic pictures. anything too dynamic you’re not going to want to do on eink really. so ripping text and pictures shouldn’t be impossible though i’d guess it’d be a subscription unless you ran some open source proxy through a vpn to your home computer

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i think it was tcl that released a regular anroid but with a rough matte display like what you'd find on an eink device, and it was pretty clear that you don't really want anything dynamic on even that

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, static content like these forums and bluesky are the limit of tolerable. video does play but they obviously thought that was an edge case because the speakers are paltry

the effect, with the settings cranked to ultrafast, is like an animated newspaper which is neat but not especially useful. the trick to getting fast responses is to switch from full grayscale to dynamic posterization

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I love the smell of android in the morning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that isn't even the first very smelly pen!

quote:

I love the Noodler's Ahab pen. I've had it for a couple of weeks and enjoyed using it very much. But the smell is quite annoying. Some people might like the smell, but not me. I've read somewhere that the smell disappears after a while. But is there a way to make it go away faster? I've tried washing it a few times; smell still persist. Thanks.

quote:

Just received my first Ahab and thought our toddler had vomited somewhere in the room. It's awful. Any help would be appreciated!

quote:

New
I too thought one of my kids had vomited when first opening and filling my new Creeper with ink. Soon realised it was the pen and couldn't believe that a pen would smell so awful. I gave it a good wash with liquid soap. The smell is also fading naturally after a week or so.

quote:

OK, Folks,
Love the pen, but after 6 months the smell is still horrible. Tried leaving in the sun for a few weeks, in the shade for a few weeks, in the fridge, in the freezer, in a drawer, Fabreeze, bleach, vinegar, and it still stinks. Should I just give up? Every time I open my desk the smell is nearly overwhelming, and it gets on my hands when I write.

those pens are made of cellulose acetate butyrate, though, a plastic that is manufactured with and gradually releases butyric acid, which is the key odor compound in rotten milk and vomit.

a lot of old tool handles are made of the same stuff, which is why sometimes you open a drawer full of old screwdrivers at grandpa's house and phwoowoooooooo

anyway the more you know

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
Those phones are thirteen hundred American dollars

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

a lot of old tool handles are made of the same stuff, which is why sometimes you open a drawer full of old screwdrivers at grandpa's house and phwoowoooooooo

anyway the more you know

i've actually wondered about this for a long time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

that isn't even the first very smelly pen!

those pens are made of cellulose acetate butyrate, though, a plastic that is manufactured with and gradually releases butyric acid, which is the key odor compound in rotten milk and vomit.

anyway the more you know

also parmesan

there’s a really great and fascinating food called appalachian salt-leavened bread. it’s a wild fermented dough that uses a salted starter to grow clostridium perfringens on potato slices. c perf produces butyric acid as a key metabolite so the bread has a savoury flavour to it. denser crumb too thanks to the production of more h2

there’s no genes for toxicity so it’s safe as long as you bake things thoroughly like with any wild dough.

incidentally if you’re making a sourdough starter and it starts smelling like parmesan cheese, it’s likely been infected by a clostridium

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
<american voice> a savory bread. fascinating

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
An American voice is just a normal voice, no need to specify. It’s the default

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Specifically, an American voice from California. A lot of those other states have really weird accents going on.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

shaggar, you forgot to log out of your alt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

shaggar, you forgot to log out of your alt
hard to figure out who should be more insulted by this comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

FMguru posted:

hard to figure out who should be more insulted by this comparison

americans probably