Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
but the jornada had a built-in modem whose jack popped out the corner

i think i used it to send a fax once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

and I definitely installed a debian distribution called 720degrees on it and used it to watch torrented episodes of star trek outside

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

atomicthumbs posted:

but the jornada had a built-in modem whose jack popped out the corner

i think i used it to send a fax once

that may be what i'm remembering. i did have a 33.6 and a 56k usr pccard with the popout x-jack too

we got dial-up with our 1st gen dsl, so i used that. also faxed a bunch of all black pages to a local computer store staffed by dicks.

had an hp 200lx too, that thing was dope as gently caress, if only because you could run anything dos based that didn't require cga+ graphics

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
oh and had fun with the teachers because our laserjet printers had irda that wasn't disabled, so i could trigger printing poo poo in the middle of class and there was no account id on the banner

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i didn't have an orinoco card back in those days, but i had a usr 56k modem with the popout x-jack connector, and some of the payphones in my city had rj11 jacks on them for just such use.

in hindsight it was cyberpunk as gently caress

atomicthumbs posted:

and I definitely installed a debian distribution called 720degrees on it and used it to watch torrented episodes of star trek outside

:popeye:

man all I ever did with my zaurus was read ebooks, you guys were way cooler

oh and played pokemon but then the emulator stopped working for no reason. also had doom on there but the controls were poo poo and it had no sound because the zaurus wasn't fast enough :lol:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I used my Zaurus and compact flash wifi card to go WAR WALKING. Thank you for letting me reminisce.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

oh and had fun with the teachers because our laserjet printers had irda that wasn't disabled, so i could trigger printing poo poo in the middle of class and there was no account id on the banner

once i accidently made a librarian cry with a batch file

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

once i accidently made a librarian cry with a batch file

i read this as libertarian and was happy, but then i reread it.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

My experience with your applications so far:
I installed your Mine Colony game about 15 minutes ago.
"Has no special permissions required." Great!
Crashed on Install ("Google Apps has stopped working.")
No worries, the icon was still there so I played the game.
Now, I was going to start preparing some notes to help you out.
So first, I went to uninstall Mine Colony. Crash. Cannot uninstall app, not responding.
Tried again, same problem.
Now suddenly, icons start disappearing from my screen. "Settings has stopped responding"
Other background apps now crashing, I reboot.
Android loads to a completely unresponsive black screen.
After a few minutes, the screen is still black but I'm able to only bring up the Reboot/Shutdown menu.
Reboot again, same problem.
Doing a full shutdown now.
I am a very frustrated and angry customer right now. My phone is completely Effed Up at the moment.
Update:
Full shutdown doesn't help either.
Going into recovery menu.
I don't swear very often, but I must say: your software just totally hosed my operating system.
Did you make a bricking virus or something?
Oh poo poo. Safe Mode isn't even working. gently caress.
Need to download some tools, going to try clearing Application Cache if I can access it.
Using a PRIV, this isn't going to be fun.
Apparently, I'm going to have to install the Android SDK. Got the USB drivers installed.
SDK might not work out after all, need to enable USB debugging. Developer mode already on, but I still need access to the OS menus.
Looking at other options.
Wife called me asking why I'm still at work. "I tried to help someone out, and got hosed."
Yep, "System UI isn't responding" even in Safe Mode. ADB won't work unless I can Authorize it from the UI. Can't access contents in any way while the UI is broken.
Will hunt around for bootloader options, maybe there's a way to replace the O/S without wiping all data.
Welp. If I had a different Android, I would have more options available. But, having a PRIV puts a lot of restrictions in place. The only option is a complete wipe, wonderful.
When Blackberry says "securely wipe the device", I hope they're not writing zeroes to it. Would be nice to recovery some data after the fact.
That's not good. Failed FR, now phone won't boot.
Trying the flash again.
Worked this time thankfully. Back to the new user Welcome screen.
I'm not hopeful on any data recovery but I'll give it a shot. Time to rebuild my phone, during the Easter long weekend of course.
It's late now, so I'll have to start re-building tomorrow on Good Friday.
In three days hence, my phone will rise again!
I forgive you Tomasz.
* 04/14/17: Update from /u/faultexception, /u/lacozzini & /u/justjanne
Cause is most likely the icon file size, its 3556x3556 and causing a Out of Memory exception error.
According to /u/justjanne, most devs won't notice the bug because they install via Android Studio or Visual Studio, using ADB which never displays the icon.
/u/lacozzini pinged Google about the issue, as it's something they can easily search and eliminate on their store. It's also important to track after approval and submission, since the icon file could be updated or replaced if a programmer had malicious purposes.
For those that were interested, data recovery is very limited (e.g. contacts, some images) unless you have root access. PRIV can't be rooted (AFAIK), so I can't recover important stuff. On a different android, I would have been able to recover the phone fully. But, the PRIV apparently uses unusual security measures.. it's like they built a prison where all of the doors are unlocked from the outside, and the only way to fix those doors is to burn down the entire prison and build it again. But, the contractors will keep installing the new wrong doors.

https://np.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/6575nr/is_it_actually_possible_to_earn_money_from_mobile/dg8mmia/?context=10000

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the icon file size, its 3556x3556 and causing a Out of Memory exception error.

lmao wtf

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I'm the "Professional hacker here. " and also lol android

pram
Jun 10, 2001
PRIV lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hey look youtube app got updated

https://twitter.com/dracos/status/853120105466691585

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

why do ppl use the app when they can just go to the website

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea the youtube app is poo poo and runs in the background constantly making everything else slow, the mobile site is better

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

out of curiosity i looked at this on my phone and while youtube has all of those permissions listed as things they could request on my device at least not a single one has ever been requested by the app or granted by me

most of the permissions are obvious anyway when you realize theyre for live streaming

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Radio Paranoia posted:

okay, fair enough, i haven't ever looked at an lg or huawei in the wild long enough to judge its interface. sony makes the nicest androids

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

LastInLine posted:

most of the permissions are obvious anyway when you realize theyre for an ad company

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

um its a google phone why would anyone possibly care what permissions their apps have?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

larfs aside, ive been looking for a reasonable budget tablet running android and its all either various garbage or way more expensive than 2027 ipad, wtf

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

actually it's either garbage or it's garbage that's way more expensive than an ipad

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

larfs aside, ive been looking for a reasonable budget tablet running android and its all either various garbage or way more expensive than 2027 ipad, wtf

dont buy anroid

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the lenovo tab 4 is coming out soon which is meant to be not garbage with the usual caveats applied to non-expensive android tablets

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

the lenovo tab 4 is coming out soon which is meant to be not garbage with the usual caveats applied to non-expensive android tablets
hm, the 64/4 version of lenovo tab 4 10 plus looks pretty good for my needs, especially if this will arrive for some 400 euro or less

e: sweet, 4 10 plus is 299

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 17, 2017

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hm, the 64/4 version of lenovo tab 4 10 plus looks pretty good for my needs

your needs are autistic, get an ipad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:laffo:

ThermoPhysical posted:

We figured out what was going on.

The ZTE Grand Max 2 apparently allows ads and spam in the default keyboard that ZTE put on. On top of that FAB that popped up when he was in Gmail, YouTube, and using Chrome, it also pushed ads to his notification bar.

There's no way to uninstall the keyboard, but you can disable it and put on Gboard, which is what he did.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mishaq posted:

your needs are autistic, get an ipad
no

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

is the pixel c good or not? i can't rememnber

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

good. also costly, 600 for it and 150 for keyboard

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

no because android

real answer: its fine, but far too expensive for what you get from android on a tablet these days. theres little reason to get that over The New iPad (2017) which is $170 less.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

comically they were selling them for like $350 for like a year if you told them you were a developer

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

oh wait it's $270 than The New iPad (2017) holy poo poo not a chance it's worth that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sorry about your 'tism

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

helpful chart

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

are wikipedians still arguing about waht to call the 2017 ipad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

are wikipedians still arguing

what do you think

cinci zoo sniper