Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Even in the lowest resolution possible—1480×720—the Galaxy S8 still drops a ton of frames when scrolling complicated apps like the Play Store.

Even in the lowest resolution possible—1480×720—the Galaxy S8 still drops a ton of frames when scrolling complicated apps like the Play Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

p. sure someone will make a post noting the first time that does *not* happen tbqh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

p. sure someone will make a post noting the first time that does *not* happen tbqh

my 3 year old nexus 5 doesnt stutter scrolling the play store

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

why the gently caress is the phone resolution even a configurable thing

gently caress

yes, I know that it's so they can advertise the screen specs while throttling poo poo down for actual use.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

why the gently caress is the phone resolution even a configurable thing

gently caress

yes, I know that it's so they can advertise the screen specs while throttling poo poo down for actual use.

*in extremely yospos voice* now that timb has pushed ios into feature parity with android, they are finding new ways to fight for customers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2017 and android still can't scroll smoothly lmao

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

The Galaxy S8 also likes to automatically stick apps into a letterboxed mode that slaps black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Extra tall aspect ratios are quickly becoming the norm this year, but Samsung apparently didn't feel comfortable letting every app run wild on the 18.5:9 display. The letterbox mode is almost 16:9—it's 16.7333:9.
android has been able to automatically size apps for whatever screen size since forever. not good enough for ol samsung, i guess!

quote:

While the on-screen benchmark performance at full resolution is similar to flagship devices from last year, Samsung apparently feels its GPU isn't powerful enough to do 3D games at the full 2960×1440 resolution. It has a resolution-reducing "Game mode" that promises users it will "enhance your gaming experience by making games run more smoothly."
finally! the pc gaming experience shrunk onto your phone!

quote:

The gimmicks. The iris scanner, curved screen, and heart rate sensor all seem designed to give talking points to your local Verizon salesperson, rather than provide a good user experience for customers.
duh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

one of my relatives has a curvephone samsung and yeah, i can attest to its gimmickness. i cant name a single reason why i would prefer that to a flat screen

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

one of my relatives has a curvephone samsung and yeah, i can attest to its gimmickness. i cant name a single reason why i would prefer that to a flat screen

same but preferring anroid to iphones

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

jfc that iris scanner

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

jfc that iris scanner

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

burnit all down

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

wow

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

goldmine

pram
Jun 10, 2001

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
finally, the tall phone

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a bit of a waste to post that when the real payoff would be to develop the hack that in effect mines texts people have scanned with whatever system that is by just shooting noise

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

what the hell happened here? did they train the software on public transit and so it sees bus schedules everywhere??

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

what the hell happened here? did they train the software on public transit and so it sees bus schedules everywhere??

i'm pretty sure it's just a really horribly presented screenshot and the second two images have nothing to do with the bottle image, but who knows?

it's pretty funny either way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i prefer to believe bixby is the new magical realism bot that interprets everything through the lens of the MTA

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

nice overfitting

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

well, broadly, what happened is what happens with most of the stuff of this nature presently; in a black box way they end up overfitting heavily, and given poor inputs they will pick some a-priori most likely answer. it is, btw, what will in an eventual future kill you, as you in an ill judged moment take a Designatd home from a bar and it thinks it sees a turn in the road in some tree branches in the wind. p. sad.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this is why I don't trust self-dri—

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, broadly, what happened is what happens with most of the stuff of this nature presently; in a black box way they end up overfitting heavily, and given poor inputs they will pick some a-priori most likely answer. it is, btw, what will in an eventual future kill you, as you in an ill judged moment take a Designatd home from a bar and it thinks it sees a turn in the road in some tree branches in the wind. p. sad.

—gently caress

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

god, is there anything the MTA can't gently caress up?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jimmy Carter posted:

god, is there anything the MTA can't gently caress up?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

lmfao

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
wow, those brand managers and that social media intern sure showed that guy!

"savage af!"

"brutal!"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doc Block posted:

wow, those brand managers and that social media intern sure showed that guy!

"savage af!"

"brutal!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

brewwwtal brewwwwtal

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

some guy in dyp is defending his s8 by pointing out the fab process and the number of nits the screen produces

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
caring about the number of nits a mobile screen produces?

sounds pretty... nit picky. 😎

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

how much more overuse needs to happen before we get to consider the phrase STOCK ANDROID a meme

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

some guy in dyp is defending his s8 by pointing out the fab process and the number of nits the screen produces

ahaha i just went and read it. he bought it because the recommended phone in that thread is !!six months old!! and is already keeping his eye out for another phone to buy in the next six months

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My phone is five years old. It works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yeah I also buy phones based on the fab process and the number of nits the screen produces, also to defend my purchase I will post a link to a samsung press release.