Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Look jackass if your transistors aren't smaller than mine step the gently caress off before I start busting faces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

DuckConference posted:

The "buy a used HP jornada on eBay" craze and SH/SC was a crazy time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s-tekLn7Nc&hd=1

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

looks better than android

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

im on a roll

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

im on a roll

im osha inspector

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

samsung is planning on an update that lets users manually compensate for hosed-up red-tinted displays with "a further enhanced ability to adjust the color setting to their preference."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lol how did that not come up at a planning meeting?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

about that

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

fear, probably.

would you want to be the peon that tells a C-level how the flagship device meant to rescue them after the prior debacle has a glaringly visible hardware flaw that will result in reduced yields and, thus, sales

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

samsung is planning on an update that lets users manually compensate for hosed-up red-tinted displays with "a further enhanced ability to adjust the color setting to their preference."

sheesh

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Anroid

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this mobile operating system, and its associated hardware, is a piece of poo poo!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
There was some picture I saw of 3 galaxies, none of them had the same color it was great.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just another case of android giving you choice while apple tells you what to do

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

do they just not calibrate their poo poo?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

if it causes normals to start caring about color calibration that could be cool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you keep using that word cool, i do not think it means what you think it means

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah if phone users are caring about color calibration you hosed up

if you're shipping phones that haven't been calibrated you hosed up

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

do they just not calibrate their poo poo?

its not just calibration, if you want uniform screens you have to pay more because they have a lower yield (and also apple buys all the good ones) and samesung is cheap

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BiohazrD posted:

its not just calibration, if you want uniform screens you have to pay more because they have a lower yield (and also apple buys all the good ones) and samesung is cheap

but they're "fixing" it with a software setting, which means they could/should be applying that setting at assembly time and not exposing it to the users

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i thought they're "fixing it" by allowing users to adjust the hue to their preference, meaning they probably can't get any two random displays to a reasonable delta-e

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nothing shown so far suggests that it is anything but a bad calibration, the pictures have certainly looked uniform, so it is really not very serious but doubly embarassing

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but they're "fixing" it with a software setting, which means they could/should be applying that setting at assembly time and not exposing it to the users

ill believe it when i see it. i doubt it can be truly fixed in software, it's probably going to be a quick hackjob that kills the gamut

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BiohazrD posted:

ill believe it when i see it. i doubt it can be truly fixed in software, it's probably going to be a quick hackjob that kills the gamut

okay but this post assumes samsung buyers have enough attention to detail to care

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Given that individual displays can vary, as can personal preference, I think being able to manually calibrate the display is a good thing. I've never heard anyone complain about the existence of such settings on Windows PCs, including $3,000 mobile workstations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

considering every samsung eventually switches to kooky chocko for fonts, i assume screen color changing will eventually turn to whatever the color version of that is. hot dog stand, i guess

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

can you imagine planning meetings at samsung korea

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

considering every samsung eventually switches to kooky chocko for fonts, i assume screen color changing will eventually turn to whatever the color version of that is. hot dog stand, i guess

you have to use the correct capitalization when you refer to samsung's typeface, Choco cooky

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

just another case of vouchers giving you choice while the government tells you what to do

betsy devos confirmed anroid user

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

Given that individual displays can vary, as can personal preference, I think being able to manually calibrate the display is a good thing. I've never heard anyone complain about the existence of such settings on Windows PCs, including $3,000 mobile workstations.

hmmm yes, i love janitoring my piece of poo poo phone just like i love janitoring my piece of poo poo windows pc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mishaq posted:

hmmm yes, i love janitoring my piece of poo poo phone just like i love janitoring my piece of poo poo windows pc

actually yes

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I guess the alternative to janitoring is watching while the e-garbage accumulates into a giant pile and then catches fire

what im saying is that all phones suck, salt the earth

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mishaq posted:

anroid is bad but you must be doing something wrong if your windows pc needs janitoring

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Celexi posted:

anroid is bad but you must be doing something wrong if your windows pc needs janitoring

you have to janitor you windows 10 pc every time microsoft releases updates because they got rid of all their qa

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

you have to janitor you windows 10 pc every time microsoft releases updates because they got rid of all their qa

m$ has really gone to poo poo

lol @ anyone who paid for win10

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

something wrong like having a windows pc

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

syscall girl posted:

m$ has really gone to poo poo

lol @ anyone who paid for win10

u don't need to because it's free to people who need assistance (anyone who uses windows)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

u don't need to because it's free to people who need assistance (anyone who uses windows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

DuckConference posted:

if it causes normals to start caring about color calibration that could be cool
oh they do, but not in a good way

"why is my iphone screen piss yellow?"

or

"why is my iphone screen so blue looking? isn't this the harmful blue light they've talked about??"

because they think the whitepoint each display is calibrated to will affect the display's actual color accuracy