Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

consumed by normies posted:

thats the dumbest thing about the liberal tears thread posters, theyre terrified of the rest of this subforum because they think were a bunch of hillarymen when those types have been relegated to shamful exile in d&d or, in fallen hamprince's case, a desperate need for more shame

The Trump thread is just as groupthinky and occasionally as hysterical as anything in the D&D U.S. politics thread. It's not that the rest of CSPAM is full of hillarymen, it's that there was nowhere else to mock antifa & similar without being buried under a hundred variations on "bash the someone I disagree with Republican Fash!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It doesn't need to be enforced. Whenever I go in there, it's just a bunch of people who agree with each other and/or fretting over the same thing, and then Baloogan ranting in a corner.

Echochamber's a better word for it, yeah.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Al! posted:

yeah nobody gives a poo poo about how you think your echo chamber is good but this other echo chamber over here is bad. the trump thread is looks like 99% jokes but to me but maybe you dont feel included and thats why you're upset? idk, the only people who get regularly laughed out of the trump thread are like the saurus and boosted

I don't think Trump Thread is bad, it's p. good, especially after 10:00PM.

It's just a little monotonous. And fast, like rudatron said.

IDK OK

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Laphroaig posted:

I saw these people. They all looked very– almost paramilitary. They were not from the campus. I don’t want to say factually, but I’ve heard there was some relationship here between these people and the right-wing movement that is affiliated with Breitbart News.

People on the Left (and on these forums) were cheering them on, saying it was good that it happened, that Milo got shut down, etc. So gently caress anyone who wants to disown the violence at this point.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Al! posted:

yer mixing up leftists with liberals, the violence is hella good and should continue

You're right.

Liberals should stop pretending Leftist violence is a Right Wing false flag.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

I was there for part of last night, and I know what I saw and those people were not Berkeley students. Those people were outside agitators. I have never seen them before.

That doesn't mean they were alt right stormtroopers. Could very well have been self-styled black bloc agitators.

Besides that, how could you possibly know if they were Berkely students? UC Berkeley has an enrollment of nearly 40,000.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
The real "it's dumb privileged college students roleplaying antifa" giveaway is the dude wearing LL Bean duck boots in combination with a Carhartt jacket, in Southern California.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Maybe "Mexican" is the owner's name and they just hate the dude.

Mexican Di Frabo, Owner and Proprietor

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i wonder where that dude will be in 20 years, like honestly you think alot of these people will burn out the woke bullshit like the hippies of the 60s did. i mean we are basicaly living in the 60s again. awful shitheads on both sides and the hard right is in charge of the goverment.

as soon as wokeness poses a threat to the existing order it will be commodified, just like enlightenment and freedom were commodified for the hippies.

that or we live through some economic trumpocalypse and it's like weimar germany all over again except this time the scapegoat de jure is proudly proclaiming their subversiveness to anyone who will listen, and the demagogue can point to their tumblr and twitter accounts instead of inventing libelous protocols.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any male critics of toxic masculinity who aren't either blobs or a toneless androgynes?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

the way you can tell it's business as usual is that all of it would have been fought tooth and nail if it threatened to upset business as usual.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

I'm gay and I think this should be viewed with shame, not pride.

https://twitter.com/Shakestweetz/status/835855855908179973

Wouldn't you want the first [insert minority here] person to not be a loving miserable failure at their job?

idk maybe its more humanizing to see that queer people can be abject failures who serve amoral monsters just like the rest of us

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

are you a nazi or commie?
idk i mean i'm not a fan of their ideology but otoh i have a much better chance of surviving a nazi purge

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

it's because the democrats in power are incredibly hypocritical sellout scumbags with an insufferable holier than thou attitude

exhibit A of insufferability: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/bank-reform-barney-frank-wall-street-213412

the democratic party goes out of their way to kill progressive movements and agendas. they only push for reform like romneycare that fits within the overton window of the corporate donor class. they can't even push for drug reimportation from canada, a public option, or allowing medicare to negotiate prices.

they are the party of war. they are the party of wall street. they are the party of oil. they are the party of the business class who want to ship as many american jobs as they can overseas. they are basically GOP-lite.

OTOH they're really good at palette swapping their politicians and being the default party of the marginalized as a consequence of Republican prejudice.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, in a hosed up way(and i am sure i will regret saying this since i may very well lose my healthcare) we kinda needed trump. he has hosed up the GOP in various ways and hosed up a ton of other stuff and keeps loving it up because of his smooth plaque filled brain and his hard right friends. and the liberals keep screaming "BE WOKE" to such a retarded degree that people are finaly turning on them.
I loving told you accelerationism works. I told you bro.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Office Surprise Store posted:

i am not mocking this tweet, but idk where else to put it

https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/839732795706593281

:pusheen:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
A modern progressive is someone who watches The Music Man and gets extremely upset at how white the town is and how loving stupid the townspeople are for getting conned.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I hope the next person who says "good comedy punches up" gets kneed in the dick.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

passionate dongs posted:

"sjw"ism has nothing to do with pomo, it is run-of-the-mill facile attempt cultural critique. it's important we keep this straight because, well

how postmodern!
That's like saying corporate welfare has nothing to do with Capitalism. You don't have the former without the latter.

"Social justice" is a shibboleth. When you drill down to critical theory, critical race theory, postcolonialism, queer theory, etc. -- you don't get those things without postmodernism (or I guess, more accurately, poststructuralism). You don't drink the kool-aid on ideas like “naming one's own reality” and personalized pronouns if you still believe in rationality and objectivity.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
please stop columbusing modernism

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

This. The Iraq War was a monumental gently caress up that I don't think enough people understand.
Actually Bush was just on Ellen and he's quite the charmer so it sounds like you're just making poo poo up to me.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
You can't compare the two. It was really goddamned obvious what was happening with the Iraq invasion and how bullshit it all was. Lots of people were calling Bush et. al. out and there were ongoing protests. As bad as the 9/11 AUMF may have been, Clinton's vote for the Iraq invasion (and especially when coupled with her refusal to disavow it for so long) is uniquely disqualifying.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

no, you really can't

the 9/11 aumf is plainly worded to give the president unlimited and indefinite military power against anyone the president unilaterally deems to fall under the umbrella of it

the iraq war aumf was literally unnecessary to go to war in iraq (from a domestic standpoint, at least) because of how broad the 9/11 aumf was. the iraq aumf was more part of a larger political casus belli strategy to get the un to join in. that's why it's so much larger and has so much language tying itself to the un. the democratic hawks were interested in saber rattling and possible invasion to enforce un resolutions that nominally authorized military action, and saw bringing the un in as a mitigating factor for us military adventurism

listen bub if what you're saying is that america is a manifestation of lucifer on earth then you won't hear an argument from me

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I don't get why he's not a libertarian :confused:
He'll eventually be Wil Wheaton'd and, as soon as he feels betrayed by the wokes, he'll stop affecting the erudite progressive. :toxx:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait, wheaton actually realized they didn't care about him and were just using him as disposible idiot?
I don't know if he realized anything, but he ended up failing the woke test in January.

Goddamn does January 27th feel like an eternity ago. Thanks, America.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Guys...are we the alt left?

no we're the alt statler and waldorf

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
the real problem is that it is extremely unlikely any of them have a well-considered or coherent understanding of their own politics or motivations, or of the ideas that they claim to support and oppose, and yet there they are telling society that they are prepared to kill or be killed.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I wonder if by "redneck" they mean "grew up in a shack in the sticks" or "grew up on a 1 acre lot in a wealthy exurb advertised as 'the best of country living in a planned community'."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/846636496153063424

like he likes newt and stephen universe. so i guess they are positive. i mean i personally believe in the hegel(i think it was him) that you can take positive stuff from negative things/people/etc. so who knows.
Kinda problematic that he looks up to a genteel white British man who spends all his time stuffing things into neat little boxes and whose final act in the movie is perpetrating the most egregious act of gaslighting the world has ever seen, ostensibly for the no-maj's own good, despite having befriended a no-maj earlier in the film.

Or the main character of a show about women dedicating their entire lives to one boy.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

i'm the literal brown shirts

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
*sigh* I see that

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
something something cartesian dualism something foucault *fart*

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
economic justice so white

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Zas posted:

:wrong: trump is the apotheosis of postmodernity

the trump tutelage posted:

*argues for decades that truth doesn’t exist in any objective sense but is created rather than discovered*
*cannot comprehend Trump's victory*

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i guess the money has gotten dire enough that he actually has to define his beliefs.
https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/848995968460705793

Those are all classically feminine traits. Is he secretly trying to destroy the distinction between femininity and masculinity, or does he not understand that they are meaningless if not conceived as opposing forces?

It's like he wants to say that men should embrace femininity but he knows how that would sound and so he is playing semantic games to have his cake and eat it too.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I at least partially blame the adoption of the definition of systemic racism (ie. R=P+P) as the definition of racism as such.

I mean it's a trope now for some aspiring do-gooder to say "yeah, sure, such-and-such is the real racist :rolleyes:" and well maybe they're not the "real" racist in the sense that their behavior vindicates David Duke but, inasmuch as they're trafficking in the same essentialisms and stereotypes as a white supremacist, then yeah, they're racist. And that's true regardless of their skin color or their intentions.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What Open Marriage Taught One Man About Being A Pathetic Worm Unfit To Pass Along His Genes

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Letting someone gently caress your wife is woke now :lol:
The argument he uses could be used to excuse any lovely behavior on her part.

e.g.

quote:

She didn’t present it as an issue of feminism to me, but after much soul-searching about why the idea of my wife [spending our savings on slot machines] bothered me I came to a few conclusions: [asking her not to] meant I controlled her [financial independence], and, not to get all women’s-studies major about it, patriarchal oppression essentially boils down to a man’s fear that a woman with [financial independence] is a woman he can’t control.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
She didn’t present it as an issue of feminism to me, but after much soul-searching about why the idea of my wife [injecting heroin] bothered me I came to a few conclusions: [sobriety] meant I controlled her [bodily], and, not to get all women’s-studies major about it, patriarchal oppression essentially boils down to a man’s fear that a woman with [bodily autonomy] is a woman he can’t control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

rudatron posted:

I actually don't think this way of looking at it is helpful.

He's a sensitive guy, who doesn't want to be a bad person, in a relationship with someone who's exploiting that desire for him to do good, for their own benefit.

He's not 'inferior', he's just missing the big picture.

I admit I was being mean, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's not inferior. He's weak and misguided. Dude has some serious work he needs to do on himself.

Karl Barks posted:

i'm not crazy about open relationships, but this comparison doesn't work at all
His argument is literally that he would be instantiating The Patriarchy if he did not consent to an open relationship, and that he's already an oppressor for daring to want monogamy. You could apply that to any behavior that might manifest -- "Who am I, a man, to tell her what to do??? I must think I have control over her!"

• Locked thread