Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the trump thread moves so fast that it's basically impossible to enforce group think lol

like have you even read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

we need to invent newer and newer threads, with worse and worse posters, until finally someone wants to emptyquote me unironically

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

the trump tutelage posted:

It doesn't need to be enforced. Whenever I go in there, it's just a bunch of people who agree with each other and/or fretting over the same thing, and then Baloogan ranting in a corner.

Echochamber's a better word for it, yeah.
how can a thread be an echochamber when each page is only there for like a minute

there's no time to echo

you make a post, maybe one of two people post back at you, boom, a new trump tweet drops, and everyone is on that instead

its like yelling into the void, try it some time

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Mods knew about Trump

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Liberals celebrating the death of rural white people are not doing it from a place of 'revenge' for crimes done against them, but because of a belief in social darwinism. The inferiors/unvirtuous die due to their inferiority/stupidity/whatever.

But, why are they like that? What social factors are in place that produced that prejudice in the first place? What about the poor all around the world, in third world countries, who don't exactly all hold 100% progressive views - are they automatically deserving of death?

These, and other questions, are never asked, because they challenge the very heart of smug liberal arrogance - that they, the liberals, are privileged, and that they are celebrating the misfortunes of those without privilege, because they see them as 'flawed'.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Neo conservatism is a reaction against post modernism, and the sjw liberals are absolutely post modernist.

They don't actually believe they're implementing a kind of moral purity, but that is actually where they've gone

It all stems from the idea that facts are subjective, but that you're morally obligated to believe the oppressed, because their oppression means that their subjectivity is often marginalized, so to be moral, you have to go with them

Now there's an element is truth to that, confirmation bias is real, but being oppressed gives you no special insight into how the world works, everyone is affected by confirmation bias in the same way, everyone's perspective is wrong, which is why you have to treat things scientifically, to overcome that bias, to find objective truth

But the other problem is more insidious - since you've created a hierarchy of who determines truth, ambitious people will of course use that hierarchy to gain power, which you do by playing the victim

And since class is invisible to these guys, the people at the top are still incredibly privileged

but to stay at the top, they have to play a constant game of inventing issues, and calling them out,

And the more absurd they sound, the more clicks they get, so you're incentivized to keep 'pushing the boundary', because making an absurd claim of victimization, and then intellectualizing it (using as much jargon as possible), makes you look like a serious thinker

So without really intending to, the whole system becomes one of demonstrating your virtue, by demonstrating the lack of virtue/moral inferiority of as many other people as possible

And the more people you can make look morally inferior to you, the better you look

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

passionate dongs posted:

you're trying to build a narrative around how epistemologically unsound liberals are, and how neoconservatism embraced pomo to combat liberalism. the thing is that the political left of the US, the people who vote and get into office, never embraced postmodernism. this was a thing of academic liberal eggheads, where they spend all day talking about an anarchist/marxist utopia, generally stuff that terrifies democrats as much as it terrifies republicans.

"sjw"ism has nothing to do with pomo, it is run-of-the-mill facile attempt cultural critique. it's important we keep this straight because, well

how postmodern!
The anticapitalist stuff scares off dems, but these guys I'm talking about aren't as anti-capitalist as you think, and in many cases they've reconciled the excesses of capitalism with diversions into race and gender, which absolutely did embrace post modernism

I also think you've underestimated just how far things have gone. Let me demonstrate.

Bernie presented a fairly standards 60s/new deal agenda, and he was attacked for being out of touch on racial issues, and therefore unqualified - not simply racist, because that didn't hold up, but having not done all the performative acts required to demonstrate wokeness, ie he was insufficiently virtuous

That's pomo versus modernism - Bernie presented a vision for a futures society, a grand narrative (modernism), the centre charged him with being an oppressor because he erased race or whatever (pomo)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

passionate dongs posted:

i totally agree that all kinds if narratives are spun, my main point here is that i dont think your run of the mill liberal tweeters are actually knowingly applying any pomo, post structural forms of reasoning, and that its second hand values and wishful thinking.

the same thing can be said for trump supporters, trump lies at a rate of like 100 lies a day, mostly saying things have no bearing on reality -- are trump supporters in the lineage of pomo thought? do they think academic liberals gave rhem tools to meme their president into being? id argue that no-- most trump supporters, just like their liberal counterparts are simply performing values that make them feel good about the folks they want to empathize with

my original point is that, while you very well could trace popular liberal beliefs to intro to postcolonialism classes or whatever, they are simply regurgitating values and not employing any actual faculties from these disciplines
They don't have to be knowingly applying pomo to say that pomo has had this effect. Pulling a special pleading of "well Tumblr kids aren't really practising post modernism because they're not academics" is asinine - they're taking the post modernism to its absurd conclusion. The fact that they end up with absurd conclusions isn't a condemnation of them as individuals, is an indictment of post modernism itself. They, through their stupidity, are demonstrating the stupidity inherent in post modernism, that learned academics won't expose

Because said academics are usually normal people with ideas of 'common sense', ie, the academics are smart enough to be able to ignore the glaring flaws of post modernism, and just selectively apply it when it's useful to them.

The Tumblr kids, lacking that external restraint, apply it everywhere - they are the true 'post modernists', not the academics

In other words, to do anything of substance, you have to ditch post modernism as soon as possible - which of course the academics do, but subtly, without anyone noticing

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

wizard on a water slide posted:

this is neither an accurate description of social scientists and critical theorists, nor one most of the good ones would value
It's more accurate than either they or you realize. You don't even get considered for such a position without having some fairly expensive qualifications, so all of these guys come from well off and well placed families. That means they're well socialized.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The idea of poor whites all being racist is more of a meme/propaganda than anything. Obviously there's aggressively malicious douchebags, but it's not as if you don't find them in the affluent either. Trump won a lot of very well off people, after all.

Besides, poverty isn't simply a case of 'normal but with less money'. It affects everything you do, how you perceive the world. When everything you have in life is guaranteed to you, when you don't have a care in the world, obviously you're not going to get anxious over anything dumb.

Basically, take away a woke's trust fund, and you'll find that they're a lot less 'righteous' than they say they are.

The only reason white liberals don't treat minorities the same way they do poor whites, is basically nothing but white guilt. The instant they stop feeling guilty, minorities are going to get exactly the same treatment that rednecks get now - indifference.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think part of the error is how racism, or prejudice in general, is seen, as a kind of moral failing, rather than something more akin to a phobia, or other conditioned responses.

If you're an out-and-out racists, you're rationalizing that phobia with stupid excuses, because it's easier to do that than confront the problem - but the root cause is the conditioned response.

Like, in the model of prejudice as a moral failing, being 'progressive' is just another rung on the ladder of social respectability. Like conspicuous consumption, by adopting the particular jargon of social justice, you're signalling to others how desirable you are. And who has the free time, and the access to resources, necessary for learning that jargon, more than the already well off? Naturally, you have to keep raising the bar, to keep the riff-raff out, by inventing ever more intricate terms - mansplaining, manspreading, etc etc - but that's not hard.

Problem is, that doesn't actually do anything, and in particular it doesn't do anything if that model is wrong.

Because if the correct model is of just another conditioned response, not a lack of virtue, the only real way to treat that is exposure ('systematic desensitization'). Living in rich gated communities, or affluent neighborhoods, isn't going to do that, like, ever. It doesn't matter how many PC pamphlets you read, that's not really going to change anything.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The Brown Menace posted:

its cool when you tell a white hillperson their abuela is poo poo and get a short, gleeful fanfic of how you will deservedly perish in trump's MAGA camps, i tell you hwat
You know what the weirdest thing about that sort of stuff is, though? That there is this kind of process, that liberals play, of establishing 'this is what black people believe', and of course, you want to be a good ally, you don't want to be a bad guy, so you've got to go along with it. But there's a kind of irony in trying to create these nice, clean, demarcations between racial identities and beliefs, and then using those demarcations in what is ostensibly a fight against racial stereotyping!

I mean statistically speaking, Clinton won non-whites, Trump won whites, Sanders lost his primary because he lost non-whites. That's the data. There's a massive racial element during the entire 2016 election that's worse than anything under Obama. But you've got to be careful with data like that, because when it comes to human beings, nothing is ever as simple as a=b.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry, it's not the same: it's a transparently abusive relationship where the woman is emotionally manipulating the guy, by guilt-tripping him with some pseudo-intellectual bullshit. He lacks the self-confidence, self-esteem, strength of will and developed moral philosophy to reject that, and so falls for it.

That's not entirely a novel situation.

Moral of the story: when other people try to guilt-trip you, with poo poo that doesn't make rational sense, spit in their face.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

the trump tutelage posted:

What Open Marriage Taught One Man About Being A Pathetic Worm Unfit To Pass Along His Genes
I actually don't think this way of looking at it is helpful.

He's a sensitive guy, who doesn't want to be a bad person, in a relationship with someone who's exploiting that desire for him to do good, for their own benefit.

He's not 'inferior', he's just missing the big picture.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Note that the original study demonstrated an increase in anger towards an involved third party caused by guilt, not that anger at injustice is 'largely' a result of maintaining a moral identity.

That's important, because there's a Reason.com article linked there, that tries to take it to the weird conclusion that all altruism is guilt-induced (it's a libertarian site), which isn't supported, nor likely.

Essentially they just showed projection exists, which is probably relevant to a lot of people this thread looks at. But it's difficult to say what is 'real' (empathy motivated) or 'fake' (self-serving) outrage, without really being able to go through someone's head, and see the reasons why. You can't even do that for yourself reliably.

Maybe the problem is relying on anger in the first place, or relying on anger alone, to motivate change. It seems powerful, but it's unreliable.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Something something reserve army of labor.
Comedy, like all communication, is formed in the basis of shared experience.

The people running the show, the guys who own the networks, have almost nothing in common, experience wise, with the audience they are making things for. They run in the circles of high society, only ever really talk to critics and other rich guys. Because of that, they can't relate to the general public.

In this case, this show is essentially making fun of poor whites, poking at their ignorance or cultural insensitivity. It does this behind the veneer of 'punching up', but that's not actually true. If you're a rich person who's white, you don't have to be white. Not really - you have the option of buying your way out of whiteness. All you have to do is learn the right linguo, adopt the right dress, maybe even travel or whatever, and hey, you can become a ~citizen of the world~.

If you're poor, you don't really have that option. You don't really have the time to 'get educated'. You also don't have the education to really form a coherent, intellectual reply to the very academic theories being used here. Because, essentially what's happened, is that certain sociological theories, have been abused, and weaponized, into a justification for classism and neoliberal economic theories.

Which is why, in spite if the rhetoric that shows like this are all about 'speaking truth to power', they always, always, always come off as patronizing - exactly what you get when someone with power, speaks down to someone without.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What a bunch of pretentious, parasitic douchebags. Its just so transparent that they're using guilt-tripping for their own narrow self-interest/pet issues.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
GMOs are racist sexist colonialism - something someone actually believes.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Games are bad

Well, someone had to say it

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So are movies, books, basically all art

But maybe they were better once?

No, they were not, they were always bad

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, shots fired, what did cspam ever do to u?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

FisheyStix posted:

I am about to the point where I honestly wouldn't mind of they learned that lesson under a guillotine. These people never have and never will be my allies unless they can score points off my sexual identity, and if I didn't even have that, they'd toss me in the garbage with the rest of the working poor.

I can't imagine how insulting it must be if you're black or transgender, or something way more visible than "gay" to have these soulless hedonist parasites as the vaunted champions of your cause. If minorities weren't so desperate for allies, I think more of them would despise people like colbert for actively harming their cause.

Because that's what it does. We would be better served by an enemy that we can unite against instead of an ally that abuses our misfortune for their own profit, to say nothing of the poor and middle class (amazing that there's still a distinction between the two) who could put the money towards something other than sucking their own dicks, to borrow some imagery.

Maybe poo poo like not having an entire town full of poison water or an education system that isn't internationally laughed at. You know. The little things.
Okay, but that desperation you mention is real and justified, so what is to be done?

I think if you leave the goal of a more humane society, in the hands of people who are more interested in conspicuous displays of virtue over pragmatic action, society will continue down the path it is. A lot of the growth of reactionary animus over the Obama years, follows as a direct consequence from the influence of these wokes as 'representatives' the multicultural alternative, and their indifference to the concerns of the people they're obstensibly trying to persuade to be less racist or whatever. They're not interested in talking as equals to ordinary people, who probably smell, instead preferring to believe that being smug and self righteous is somehow going to ingratiate people to your cause.

But that's presently the situation, it is in their hands, and they've placed it in their hands through supression of anyone else who doesn't fit their mold. 'There is no alternative - we made sure of that'.

The probability of them being dislodged is also quite small. They have corporate backing, yet they have adopted the clothing of radical resistance. The irony of this, is that anyone newly politicized, interested in radical opposition, is probably going to end up in their camp, and thereby only perpetuate the system - neoliberal capitalism has essentially become a totalitarian system, where oppossition to the system is now integrated into it's smooth functioning.

I dont think anything is going to change, until they lose, bigly. Clinton/Trump wasn't enough, despite losing essentially all government influence, they still remain and somehow still present themselves as viable. Their incompetence is essentially directing us into the worst of all possible worlds. But they'll never take responsibility for the effect of their actions, or accept that they had any part in it - everything is always someone else's fault, never their own. That kind of mindset is impervious to persuasion or self reflection, they'll just keep going until they die or everyone stops listening to them.

So I think their loss is inevitable, the question is what comes after they lose, and that can be a different story.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
im missing the joke

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, I'm not following you. Could you care to explain?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its a limitation of representative politics that a single vote is actually really hard to interpret motivationally. Is a landslide electotal victory proof of a mandate' for every policy that representative believes, or simply a very broad based approval for the particular set of policies (and intensities) they advertised, relative to the opposition? You can make an argument each way for every election. Asking voters themselves may not be enlightening either, because very few people actually have the self awareness and political familiarity required, to fully & logically elaborate all of their beliefs, in every subtlety. You can feel something without actually having the language to express it.

The flip side of this is that voting to 'make a point ' rarely works.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out that very few people want to read pretentious & condescending lectures.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Laffo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress off, harassing strangers is peak douchebag behavior

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Black women's hair (well some but not all) acts differently than you think, because it's actually physically different. It doesn't stay straight, it fuzzes and curls. So braiding it makes sense, just to keep it neat. The alternative is using an iron to straighten it out, but that has drawbacks, and some women don't want to do that.

So while technically the school has the right, it's stupid to do this, because its going to unduly inconvenience people whose hair doesn't just sit flat.

As long as it's neat, tidy & presentable, it shouldn't be a problem, and braiding is fine imo. The only reason you'd pass this policy is if you think braiding is necessarily 'ghetto' or whatever, but that's not true, or rather, it's only true because black people have been shoved into ghettos.

Complaining about appropriation is also dumb here, as is the weird logic that complaining about hair appropriation is justified because of these policies - white people aren't a monolithic block, and the people passing these policies arent gonna be the same ones that braid their hair. But it's not an entirely unpredictable response either, because anger manifests itself in weird ways.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He did nothing about wall street fraud or the bp oil spill. Or any of the other crises he encountered.

Basically his entire presidency was 8 years of kicking the can down the road, despite growing signs that that wasn't going to work, and the starts quo is breaking apart. Foreign policy, domestic, everything he did was uncreative, compromising centrism that solved nothing.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

A fair warning to all who come to this gallery because of Kurt Eichenwald's B-Chiku SNAFU:

Diss Kurt, not this manga. Don't gently caress with hentai in general or its fanbase, either. I know that some of you came here from places like /pol/, r/KotakuInAction and r/The_Donald; The last thing we need is partisan dipshits, alt-right assholes, and political conspiracy theorists using this event as an opportunity to advocate for their own anti-hentai crusade.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Crane Fist posted:

You're swinging at ghosts though
They're not ghosts though, they are real people that you can find right now

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The Woke movement is already falling apart, but its fall is going to lead to a rise of reaction/fascism-lite.

The worst part? They'll never accept responsibility. They'll cry about Drumpf or whatever, but at no point are they ever going to reflect on how their own actions contributed to it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Kim Davis was just a personally repulsive and malicious person, but the liberal conception of racism is very tightly bound up in ideas about class. Racism is something 'dirty' people do, and there's no one dirtier than the poor.

The reason Hillary Clinton so badly wanted to get suburban republicans, even at the expense of rural areas, is because they saw them as as just inherently more virtuous, and the ideal political alliance partners. Finally, they can jettison all the filthy poors and their concerns, and become solely the party of fiscal conservatism but social liberalism. If only all the Jeb Bush's of the world would just get on board, they'd finally have a party of people Just Like Them. And surprise - It never happened.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Call Me Charlie posted:

Implying that I sided with the nazis by voting for Trump is really going to make me reevaluate my position and accept Hillary Rodham Clinton as my lord and savior.

I'm sure the more you try to push Pepe The Frog as a hate symbol or Trump as King Of The Nazis, the more people will recoil away from the Republican party. (oh wait, the exact opposite has been happening)
This is nonsensical. Your Trump vote doesn't have to define you or whatever, but if you're failing to see the incredibly obvious ways Trump is egging on white supremacy, then you're just another moron who can't see the facts staring you in the face.

Public legitimacy and acceptance is a real thing, and it's something that nazis are themselves aware of and try to push. Don't be a useful idiot.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The comparison to lynchings before was pretty gross, no one is going door-to-door assaulting Trump supporters. What is happening, is that communities are reacting to nazi marches, where they aren't welcome.

This isn't even really a speech issue. Extolling white supremacy in america, is neither new, nor subversive. The nazis are intentionally framing it as 'speech' issue, because they don't have a leg to stand on, when you recognize it for what is really is.

It's intimidation. That's what it's always been. You don't surround counter protesters holding flaming torches because you're just 'speaking' - you do it because you trying to scare them. It's a threat of violence, and violence is a legitimate response to the threat of or actual violence.

That's it. Everything else is dumb rear end equivocation.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Byolante posted:

Wait, I should accept that being physically assaulted is part of the price of a free and fair society? When the police taze the wrong person do you go 'welp they were trying to arrest murderers, take one for the team'.
here's a radical idea: don't go to nazi rallies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

get that OUT of my face posted:

important or problematic, the only two things pop culture can be
that's not true at all

something can also be important and problematic

• Locked thread