Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just lol Nascar, way to make your product worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FuzzySkinner posted:

When I first saw the new round of "DAYTONA DAY" ads that thought immediatly came to mind. "Just hire LASTCAR and call it a day"

PYF NASCAR/Daytona 500 teases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibhdXuAx4U&

Takes about 5 seconds into that broadcast before someone compares it to the Super Bowl. Twice. The media apparently doesn't change.

Also their :unsmith: about Ken Shrader, saying this year is his chance? Yeah he finished 40th.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would think that the some of the heavy hitters in NASCAR are getting tired of all the rule changes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

daslog posted:

I would think that the some of the heavy hitters in NASCAR are getting tired of all the rule changes.

Getting tired?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

iospace posted:

Getting tired?

They are probably jacked up about them, if they aren't torqued off.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
All the rule changes just fuel us to point out all the reversals from things that worked in the past. They'd really do well to take caution to pay attention to what made the sport big in the first place 30-40 years ago and chase after that. Especially since they're nuts to think they're going to get the same casual journeyman audience they had in the past, they need to just pit that idea to one side. They have these panels they're supposedly taking information from, if they have a bad set of folks there giving ideas, maybe that's part of the problem. Or maybe it's just completely that they have a pole up their tailpipe, either way all the changes are becoming exhausting. Obviously they need someone better qualified or they'll be sent to the end of the line for TV coverage again. And that's not a problem that's going to just blowover easily.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Slickdrac posted:

All the rule changes just fuel us to point out all the reversals from things that worked in the past. They'd really do well to take caution to pay attention to what made the sport big in the first place 30-40 years ago and chase after that. Especially since they're nuts to think they're going to get the same casual journeyman audience they had in the past, they need to just pit that idea to one side. They have these panels they're supposedly taking information from, if they have a bad set of folks there giving ideas, maybe that's part of the problem. Or maybe it's just completely that they have a pole up their tailpipe, either way all the changes are becoming exhausting. Obviously they need someone better qualified or they'll be sent to the end of the line for TV coverage again. And that's not a problem that's going to just blowover easily.

Make this entire post the title, thanks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kevin Harvick, Chase Elliott, Jamie McMurray, Joey Logano, and Brad Keselowski will be the guest color analysts on FOX's NXS races this season. Schedule below:

quote:

Date Location Driver Analyst* Network Race Start**
2/25 Daytona International Speedway Harvick FS1 3:30 PM
3/4 Atlanta Motor Speedway Elliott FS1 1:30 PM
3/11 Las Vegas Motor Speedway McMurray FS1 4:00 PM
3/18 Phoenix International Raceway Harvick FOX 4:00 PM
3/25 Auto Club Speedway Keselowski FS1 4:00 PM
4/8 Texas Motor Speedway Keselowski FOX 1:30 PM
4/22 Bristol Motor Speedway Harvick FS1 12:30 PM
4/29 Richmond International Raceway Logano FS1 12:30 PM
5/6 Talladega Superspeedway Harvick FOX 1:00 PM
5/27 Charlotte Motor Speedway TBA FS1 1:00 PM
6/3 Dover International Speedway Logano FS1 1:00 PM
6/10 Pocono Raceway Harvick FOX 1:00 PM

6/17 Michigan International Speedway TBA FS1 1:30 PM
6/24 Iowa Speedway TBA FS1 8:30 PM

They used Larry McReynolds at Iowa last year because it was a non-companion event.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Quick whine?

I'd love to look at an XFS schedule one day and see them running random rear end venues again rather than them just being a companion series for cup. That would rule so much.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone done the Forza NASCAR Expansion pack yet?

Holy gently caress are Stock cars fun to drive at Monza, Catalunya and Bathurst. There's even a mode where you race against GT and v8 supercars in some sorr of fantasy "FORMULA LIBRE" stock car sort of thing.

I want these things to happen so goddamn badly now.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Just from a random article on Jayski I realized Ford hasn't won a championship since 2004 and loving lol at that.

Also Forza 6 is probably the best NASCAR game out right now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySkinner posted:

Quick whine?

I'd love to look at an XFS schedule one day and see them running random rear end venues again rather than them just being a companion series for cup. That would rule so much.

Normally my default position is "Take that fantasy rear end schedule making nonsense back to the Indycar thread."

But real talk? I am 100% in agreement with you.

I know that "technically" running a XFS car around Myrtle Beach or South Boston probably isn't super beneficial for development for a Cup Car on a cookie cutter 1.5 mile. But goddamn it's fun!!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dentist toy box posted:

Just from a random article on Jayski I realized Ford hasn't won a championship since 2004 and loving lol at that.

I just wish they had a few more ovals to the mix.

That and a few of the "throwback' stockcars. (Kulwicki's "Underbird", The Aerowar cars, Bill Elliott's record breaker, etc).

algebra testes posted:

Normally my default position is "Take that fantasy rear end schedule making nonsense back to the Indycar thread."

I know that "technically" running a XFS car around Myrtle Beach or South Boston probably isn't super beneficial for development for a Cup Car on a cookie cutter 1.5 mile. But goddamn it's fun!!

Which is kinda what I like. I'm not going to bother watching an XFS race at Kansas for example, but one of the short tracks you mentioned, or a place like CGV, Road America, etc? Holy poo poo do those generally deliver.

That's kinda why I enjoyed watching busch back in the day. Random rear end drivers driving at places that Cup generally never went to. Fun as hell.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 12, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think anyone disagrees with that notion but if it happens at all it won't be for a while unfortunately

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dentist toy box posted:

dirt to daytona continues to be the only nascar game anyone needs

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 12, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
HEY! YOU! GET INTO MY CAR!!!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just wish they had a few more ovals to the mix.

That and a few of the "throwback' stockcars. (Kulwicki's "Underbird", The Aerowar cars, Bill Elliott's record breaker, etc).

Which is kinda what I like. I'm not going to bother watching an XFS race at Kansas for example, but one of the short tracks you mentioned, or a place like CGV, Road America, etc? Holy poo poo do those generally deliver.

That's kinda why I enjoyed watching busch back in the day. Random rear end drivers driving at places that Cup generally never went to. Fun as hell.

I mean you say that but I'd rather watch cup run those tracks instead of Kansas.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I mean you say that but I'd rather watch cup run those tracks instead of Kansas.

Can't we all just agree that Kansas, Chicagoland, and others really should have never had Cup dates in the first place? Good god did those only have a short term pay off for fans.

And agreed. I really think CGV should have become a Cup weekend.

e: I mean this loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eekkNsoN3_M

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 12, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

algebra testes posted:

You can't tell me some of the regional short tracks which probably should be on the Xfinity schedule wouldn't draw more fans than a comprable crowd at Kansas or Chicago (or :lol: Indy), but these are probably assertions NASCAR wants nothing to do with because it admits failure.

Are the Xfinity venues locked in the next five years like the Cup schedule? I feel like NASCAR would be able to use the idea of adding more short tracks as a "returning to our roots" promotion of the series. It can even be a thinly-veiled deflection of the fact nobody cares about Xfinity, I don't care, just make it happen.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I wish they'd race at Pikes Peak again. I'd fly to Denver for that.

Being a PNW NASCAR fan is :eng99:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Running at a regional track presents a problem.....

..... NASCAR doesn't own them and they'd have to share profit with someone else.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rip milwaukee

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Running at a regional track presents a problem.....

..... NASCAR doesn't own them and they'd have to share profit with someone else.

yep..

that sweet tv money.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Dale Jr. Tweeted he'd be the first on the entry list if they ever took NXS back to Myrtle Beach, didn't he?

That'll sell some tickets, Brian. I'll even shut up about Buschwackers for a night.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Stock cars on road courses is almost always a blast to watch and my crazy fantasy scheduling would probably be 1/3 road courses if not more.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Saucer Crab posted:

Stock cars on road courses is almost always a blast to watch and my crazy fantasy scheduling would probably be 1/3 road courses if not more.

That's why they founded imsa

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Saucer Crab posted:

unfortunately nascar road races are consistently the races with the lowest viewership numbers every year

apparently people prefer shitholes like chicagoland for some ungodly reason

e: oh christ that new dumb race format is gonna affect the road races too huh, welp

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

That's why they founded imsa

They used to have the Trans Am championship as well, which was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R13NN50cw4&

Dan Gurney pretty much called it the "NASCAR" of the Road Courses.

(it still exists...but it's kind of a shadow of it's former self. PWC is kinda the de facto Trans Am series now)

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

financially racist posted:

unfortunately nascar road races are consistently the races with the lowest viewership numbers every year

People are stupid as poo poo.

I mean, I am too, I loved the old open wheel course at the Cleveland airport for some crazy reason, and I never have kept up open wheel stuff all that much.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Saucer Crab posted:

People are stupid as poo poo.

I mean, I am too, I loved the old open wheel course at the Cleveland airport for some crazy reason, and I never have kept up open wheel stuff all that much.

I'd highly recommend giving it a go again.

Pick your races though. (Start with Indy, and skip races like Belle Isle, etc).

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Hmmm, the ovals draw more viewers than road courses, maybe that has to do with so many local tracks being ovals and the overwhelming popularity of that style of racing.

Oh, I know, it's because they are dumb! Not smart, like me. :smug:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is there a reason why Cup doesn't run the Bud Shootout/ARCA/Pole Day this week?

Seems like the weekend is wide open for it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Probably because Speedweeks is long/expensive enough as-is

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Probably because Speedweeks is long/expensive enough as-is

Eh, was just suggesting moving it up a week is all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Since Atlanta is getting repaved and the racing there will suck for 5+ years they should run at Road Atlanta until the track weathers in some.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Nah, Atlanta after the repave is gonna be good. The 1.5's with banking are fast as poo poo after a repave, so look for speeds well north of 200mph there. Prolly qualify at 205 or so IMO.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Shouldn't the aero package and tires slow them down?

Fast is fine but if it's a one groove track 200mph is about as exciting as 20mph

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Well, aero and tires are basically the same as last year, so increased grip will naturally increase speeds.

The exciting part is debatable, because I kinda like the notion of cars diving in on corner entry at speeds they've never seen before. You'll likely see action from that. The boring sets in after a repave usually from years 3-5 after it's done, once the teams figure it out and there's still grip to be had. By then the fast line will be sussed out and you'll likely see single file.

This year, who knows. It's wide enough for multiple grooves and no one is going to really know which of those is faster as rubber gets laid down. This year should be a fun race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/LewisFranck/status/831181429199478784

:tviv:

Maybe those Carlos Slim "Put Suarez in Cup NOW" rumors had something to them.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The 500 was President's Day weekend until 2012, at which point it was pushed back a week for spacing between the Shootout and the Super Bowl/possible expansion to an 18-game NFL season: http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2011/02/20/daytona-500-date-2010.html

Interestingly enough, it's moving back to President's Day next year: http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/daytona-500-moving-back-to-traditional-weekend-in-2018-072716

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/LewisFranck/status/831181429199478784

:tviv:

Maybe those Carlos Slim "Put Suarez in Cup NOW" rumors had something to them.

The 500 was President's Day weekend until 2012, at which point it was pushed back a week for spacing between the Shootout and the Super Bowl/possible expansion to an 18-game NFL season: http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2011/02/20/daytona-500-date-2010.html

Interestingly enough, it's moving back to President's Day next year: http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/daytona-500-moving-back-to-traditional-weekend-in-2018-072716

god the NFL ruins everything, o they not?

• Locked thread