Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

wicka posted:

Every racing driver in the world has looked frustrated at some point. Have you seen Alonso at any point in the last three years? Are you saying he’s just in it for the money too?

I'm not saying that. I even acknowledged there's a chance she's doing it because she wants to, and good on her if she wants to give it one last go.

But I'd also have wondered the same way if Gordon acted the same way when he got to pinch hit for Dale Jr. if he'd have looked totally despondent after 2015. Lost in the storybook ending of "wins at Martinsville, auto-advances to Homestead, one last shot at the Drive for Five" was that his 2015 season largely sucked/was mediocre at best and Gordon and Gustafson were at each other's throats on the radio at one point. Same goes with Jr. if he seemed like he didn't want to play anymore at some point before this season.

E- Maybe a better comparison is Darrell Waltrip, who, in retrospect, said he should have just gotten the hell out after 1998 and not run two more years.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have seen a lot of racing drivers look sad, frustrated, despondent, etc. in the time before they finally decide to retire. Many of them have continued racing occasionally after their retirement. I have never heard anyone accuse those drivers of only returning post-retirement for the money, until now.

There’s no defense to what you are saying. You hate Danica, and you have sculpted reality to allow you to hate her more. I don’t like Danica either; she isn’t particularly talented and her seat(s) could’ve gone to far better drivers. But it shouldn’t be a loving stretch to think she enjoys racing and wants to go out at the two biggest and best events before she hangs up her helmet.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
:negative: and so it begins

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

:negative: and so it begins

No, it’s already ended.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Danica Patrick is bad.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FOX is running a second Daytona 500 commercial and Junyer likes it because:

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/947966044651397120

Alan Cavanna came to Daytona Day's rescue, at which point Tim Dugger slid into the ring with a steel chair:

https://twitter.com/Tim_Dugger/status/948001297613107201

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

I have seen a lot of racing drivers look sad, frustrated, despondent, etc. in the time before they finally decide to retire. Many of them have continued racing occasionally after their retirement. I have never heard anyone accuse those drivers of only returning post-retirement for the money, until now.

There's no defense to what you are saying. You hate Danica, and you have sculpted reality to allow you to hate her more. I don't like Danica either; she isn't particularly talented and her seat(s) could've gone to far better drivers. But it shouldn't be a loving stretch to think she enjoys racing and wants to go out at the two biggest and best events before she hangs up her helmet.

quote:

She decided to leave racing to pursue other interests, including a clothing line, a wine label and a writing career. “Honestly, racing is something I enjoy, and I love it sometimes,” she says, but “I just wasn’t having quite as much fun with it anymore.” After some reflection, she realized she wasn’t as passionate about the sport as she thought. “If I’m not at the racetrack, I don’t go to the track and watch races,” she says. “I don’t go to the shop and work on cars.”

As a Nascar driver, she gets a salary as well as money from endorsements, purse winnings and sponsorships. Full-time drivers typically get anywhere from $1 million to $20 million a year. She hopes that going out on her own will give her more freedom to do what she wants. “I’ll never be a billionaire driving a race car, but with all these other companies I could be…so let’s get on with this,” she says. “The sky’s the limit.” The money isn’t really the goal, she adds, just the success it represents.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/danica-patricks-new-career-track-1515175656

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What did you think you were proving there?

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

wicka posted:

There’s no defense to what you are saying. You hate Danica, and you have sculpted reality to allow you to hate her more. I don’t like Danica either; she isn’t particularly talented and her seat(s) could’ve gone to far better drivers. But it shouldn’t be a loving stretch to think she enjoys racing and wants to go out at the two biggest and best events before she hangs up her helmet.

Wicka, I think you're taking it awfully personally.

I have nothing against Danica. I hope she has inspired a generation of boys and girls to get into auto racing. She's a smart and talented person, and I wish her the absolute best.

Sometimes, the end is the end though. I feel very strongly that Jr should never step into a Cup or Xfinity car again because there's nothing to gain. Maybe he has the fire in him for one more race, but as a fan I don't want him to take the risk in a race that doesn't matter. The same stands for Danica. Why risk it? If she had a good ride, that would be one thing, but she's not going to have a good ride. Very little good can come from one more race, and a lot of bad can. On the ski slope, I am a serious believer in doing one less run- it always strikes me that you get hurt on the last run- the one you debated doing.

I really do hope that Danica does lots of cool things in auto sports in the future. She's raced for a long time, has a lot of knowledge, and could probably make a decent broadcaster. I only feel that she should step away because it seems so obvious that she should. Whether it's Daytona or Indy, I don't think it's a wise move to get back into a race car. If she were my friend, this would be the advice I would give her. If she absolutely needs to get more racing in, then do some short track racing at the Xfinity level. Something safe and profitable.

This conversation reminds me of what Gordon said after he stepped in for Jr. He was asked about restarts and his feeling was that after stepping away for a few months the speed of everything was shocking. I have always hated Gordon because of 1998, but I was honestly concerned for him in the races he ran for Jr. All it would take is one bad wreck for him to get injured...for nothing. Danica is a young person, she has a lot to look forward to. The racing thing hasn't worked out the way she hoped, but that's okay. Let's not try and force it, just walk away, do something safer, while still scratching the itch.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 6, 2018

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Has it seriously not struck you that if you’re forced to post essay-length diatribes in an attempt to make sense of her actions and your assumptions, your assumptions might just be wrong?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
shut up wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nobody asked you a god drat thing

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Here's a nice short one for you then. At what point has Danica ever struck ANYONE as a person passionate and in love with racing for itself? She doesn't buschwhack, I don't recall ever hearing her go to some random local track to go race, almost every interview is either her talking about her brand, herself, or whomever wrecked her, rarely does she ever talk about racing itself at any length. It's always seemed far more her means to her end, rather than the other way around like most racers.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Nobody asked you a god drat thing

wicka posted:

Has it seriously not struck you that if you’re forced to post essay-length diatribes in an attempt to make sense of my actions and your assumptions, your assumptions might just be wrong?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Join the conversation or don’t, but no one cares to see you sit in the corner crying about posts you don’t like. All you ever do is bitch and whine about everything I say. It’s gotten real loving old, and it was never interesting to begin with.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Here's a nice short one for you then. At what point has Danica ever struck ANYONE as a person passionate and in love with racing for itself? She doesn't buschwhack, I don't recall ever hearing her go to some random local track to go race, almost every interview is either her talking about her brand, herself, or whomever wrecked her, rarely does she ever talk about racing itself at any length. It's always seemed far more her means to her end, rather than the other way around like most racers.

You mean other than dedicating literally her entire life to it?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

wicka posted:

You mean other than dedicating literally her entire life to it?

Dedication is not passion and enjoyment, try again. (Optionally, don't)

vvv-She is the one we are talking about here. There's multiple other drivers the same can be said about, and surprise, they all also retired pretty early.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 6, 2018

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Dedication is not passion and enjoyment, try again. (Optionally, don't)

My god, why do you hate this woman so loving much? Why do you speak this way about her, and no one else? Take your own advice and stop posting about her, it’s honestly just sad at this point.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Dude you're taking this super personal. All people are saying is that maybe she doesn't love racing as much as the next driver and the lack of success combined with slightly less passion and excitement for the sport itself has kind of run it's course with her.

How many guys finally hit success and the first thing they do is start a dirt team or a late model team and build that into a truck team or something? Those are guys who are passionate about the sport. The first thing she did was start "...a clothing line, a wine label and a writing career" per the article CBJ posted.

I don't know how you can keep on the same defense of NO YOU GUYS! SHE REALLY LOVES IT! YOU FUCKERS KNOW NOTHING! ALONSO IS FRUSTRATED TOO when a guy like Ken Schrader "retires" and goes on to race 4 times a week on dirt tracks across the midwest while Danica is maybe gonna throw her hat in the ring on the two highest paying races of the season or nothing racing related at all. Doesn't really sound like a lot of love for the sport.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I’m not taking it personally at all, lmao. Someone asked a dumb question - “why is she doing it if not for money?” - and I explained that she might just actually want to do it. Y’all are weird as gently caress.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Then cut the bullshit. No one is saying they hate her. No one has said it would be unique to her only. You have made far more posts than anyone else about it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Join the conversation or don’t, but no one cares to see you sit in the corner crying about posts you don’t like. All you ever do is bitch and whine about everything I say. It’s gotten real loving old, and it was never interesting to begin with.

Danica Patrick is a lovely backmarker who, for over a decade, had the best equipment across three different series and has one entire win to show for it. Danica is a bad driver who should've never gotten a ride in NASCAR and has been a complete waste of a good crew, a good team, and good equipment for so long that she actually has drug down both teams she has ran for. She is probably the worst driver to ever get a NASCAR Cup ride (yes really) and on top of her Pro Series level talent she is a petulant child who complains about every single thing that happens to her. She is the only person in the entire history of NASCAR to have heat with Morgan Shephard. Just sit down for a second and think about that. How bad of a driver does someone have to be that they have heat with MORGAN "RACIN 4 JESUS" SHEPHARD???

Your posting in this thread defending her is the most idiotic waste of bits and bytes in the history of this entire forum. You sit here and tut tut that people are shitposting at you while chastising other posters for actually answering your complaints. You are the Racing Threads' grover and I sincerely hope you quit this forum someday so at least this thread (and others) won't be full of your heretical boo-hooing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
shut up wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Then cut the bullshit. No one is saying they hate her. No one has said it would be unique to her only. You have made far more posts than anyone else about it.

Lmao, “cut the bullshit” my rear end. You don’t have to bluntly say “I hate her,” you’re doing that when you bizarrely suggest everything she does has a corrupt, hidden meaning, when you suggest nothing like that about anyone else.

I’m posting because you’re replying, as you always do, and you always blame me. Your correct response was accepting you were wrong and letting it go. You can’t do that because you are a small, sad man. Prove me wrong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut, you need to calm down and actually follow the conversation, because clearly you have no idea what’s being discussed and are just using this topic as another opportunity to attack me. It’s a pretty simple conversation, and it has quite literally nothing to do with defending Danica’s abilities.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Peanut, you need to calm down and actually follow the conversation, because clearly you have no idea what’s being discussed and are just using this topic as another opportunity to attack me. It’s a pretty simply conversation, and it has quite literally nothing to do with defending Danica’s abilities.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My god man, what is your problem?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

What did you think you were proving there?

Danica Patrick was interviewed and Danica Patrick herself said she's not enjoying racing anywhere near as much as she used to.

Danica Patrick was interviewed and said her focus at this point is springboarding being a millionaire into becoming a billionaire through the use of books, wine, clothing, and yoga. In that paragraph, you see the spark, charm, and charisma Danica seemed to squeeze out of every post-race/post-wreck interview which hasn't been displayed in a while. (By the way, go back to the original article and read the reason she was on The Morning Drive yesterday. It was literally to promote her book.)

(e- I can relate to Danica losing the fire. In college, I was in a career training program which I enjoyed for a while but, the more time went on and the more external bullshit that piled up, the more I realized what a hopeless pursuit I was spending a lot of money to try and reach. I got to where I hated nearly every minute of it and, instead of going through the motions even a couple more times trying to get my enthusiasm off life support, I got the hell out. My instructor, easily the best on their staff, said "I really don't blame you tbh" when I told her I was done. It's maybe the best decision I've ever made because god drat, did it work out well.)

To be totally honest, I thought she had a deal done when she announced she was doing it and I'd have said it was with Ganassi in both races because a) it's probably the best team available which has at least one extra competitive car to field in Cup for a one-off and b) it's one of the top teams in IndyCar to whom she'd been rumored to maybe go once before. If she'd have landed with CGR, she could've been competitive in both races. (I think she implied somewhere yesterday it could still be with the same owner and, since Penske said he's out, there is literally one owner in racing who could make this happen and you know who it is.) As for the rest of what I was "trying to prove":

wicka posted:

I’m not taking it personally at all, lmao. Someone asked a dumb question - “why is she doing it if not for money?” - and I explained that she might just actually want to do it. Y’all are weird as gently caress.

There's nothing wrong with suggesting she might actually want to do it but you can't get pissy when people suggest otherwise. Spitz's argument was, since she doesn't have a ride or sponsor at this point, is it worth it for her to take a subpar ride and potentially DNQ at Daytona (remember, she drat near did this in SHR equipment in 2015) and then go to Indy to run a shitbox that can't top 220 on Pole Day just to prove...something? I've ripped Danica in the past because I wondered what she was really trying to get out of racing, but I'll never fault her for her intelligence, savvy, and fire (when the latter's not being aimed at Ryan Truex for racing "too hard", that is) and I can't help but think she's smarter than following through if she's almost certain to run at the back at Daytona and race Buddy Lazier for LASTCAR honors in the Indy 500. You'd think she's in it to try and win it if she's going to do it and I could respect her for getting to where she comes out with a carefully crafted release essentially saying ":lol:, hey guys, it didn't work out this year...but I may be back next year, so stay tuned ;)! In the meantime, buy some of my Danica Brand products!"

As for picking on Danica, one thing which lurked in the back of my mind during Jeff Gordon's encore in the 88 in 2016 was "don't get hurt". The same thing applies here.

TL;DR- She may have some genuine enjoyment in running the last two scheduled races of her career (and, for the the third time this conversation, I'm acknowledging that and, for the second time, praising her if she's genuinely interested), but you hear interviews at Kansas and Homestead and read the words printed in an article literally yesterday and it's feeling more and more like at least partially one last PR stunt to cash in on racing before moving on. And, again, as Spitz suggested, there's the slight but grim possibility she winds up doing her best Sebastian Bourdais or Scott Dixon impression at Indy with potentially grim effects. I'd rather see her hang it up than run a 28th place car and potentially get hurt/killed.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 6, 2018

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P
NASCAR is full of terrible drivers to be honest..I'd rather have Danica on my team than someone like Buckshot Jones, Kyle Petty, Bobby Hamilton Jr or what have you.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's nothing wrong with suggesting she might actually want to do it but you can't get pissy when people suggest otherwise.

In what universe do you think I’m the one getting pissy here? Please read what you and others have posted, then meet up with your posting friends somewhere and discuss how you can 1. stop doing this poo poo, and 2. stop blaming me for it. This should not be so difficult.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Danica sucks, it's cool she's leaving.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mactheknife posted:

Danica sucks, it's cool she's leaving.

Hell, I agree

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Danica Patrick was interviewed and said her focus at this point is springboarding being a millionaire into becoming a billionaire through the use of books, wine, clothing, and yoga. In that paragraph, you see the spark, charm, and charisma Danica seemed to squeeze out of every post-race/post-wreck interview which hasn't been displayed in a while. (By the way, go back to the original article and read the reason she was on The Morning Drive yesterday. It was literally to promote her book.)

In what world is it unbelievable that a person who has a book would do a interview to promote a book, especially a retiring famous person. That's like the most basic marketing poo poo.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
It would actually make some sense if she came back to run Martinsville. She's had some success there and if she really wants to scratch the itch it's the most traditional track there is.

There isn't much else to say. If Danica does choose to run Daytona and/or Indy I hope it's with a competitive car. I think it's still a mistake, but if she gets through unhurt and enjoyed herself then more power to her.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

von Manstein posted:

NASCAR is full of terrible drivers to be honest..I'd rather have Danica on my team than someone like Buckshot Jones, Kyle Petty, Bobby Hamilton Jr or what have you.

okay NOW I'm angry

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'm callin you out manstein, don't you disparage my loving boy Buckshot Jones

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

In what world is it unbelievable that a person who has a book would do a interview to promote a book, especially a retiring famous person. That's like the most basic marketing poo poo.

I never said it was unbelievable. The emphasis in the post you quoted was attempting to make the point to Wicka that she did an interview on a dedicated racing radio network's morning show promoting one of these new things she's hoping to make money off of and likes to do now more than driving a car, and that her focus in the grand scheme of things is almost certainly elsewhere at this point.

The description of why she was on SXM in the Yahoo article may have been misleading and I probably shouldn't have taken it at face value, but a quick glance at it made it sound like racing and her grand plan to run both races, which would've been talking point enough, were secondary to "I wrote a book". Whether that's right or wrong is subjective, but there's probably no better place for a racecar driver to advertise they wrote a book than the morning commute NASCAR Radio show. Nothing wrong with it.

SpitztheGreat posted:

It would actually make some sense if she came back to run Martinsville. She's had some success there and if she really wants to scratch the itch it's the most traditional track there is.

There isn't much else to say. If Danica does choose to run Daytona and/or Indy I hope it's with a competitive car. I think it's still a mistake, but if she gets through unhurt and enjoyed herself then more power to her.

I wondered about Martinsville and maybe a road course race or two as well, but those don't have the name recognition of Daytona and Indy. If not for an rogue shoe, she might've won Montreal in 2012(?).

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 6, 2018

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P

Peanut President posted:

I'm callin you out manstein, don't you disparage my loving boy Buckshot Jones

Hey at least 1990 Daytona 500 Winner Derrike Cope won a couple Cup races :)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kyle Petty has top 5 finishes he in no way belongs on that list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola