Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

2) The sport is hurting financially. We all know that dollars have dried up for the sport, sponsorship aren't what they use to be and viewership is down from the heights of 8-12 years ago. I don't think that the sport, since its inception, has ever had to really face a market downturn like this. From inception through the late 1980s, the sport was small and regional, growing at rate that was easy to control. The boom of the 90s and early Aughts was unprecedented, and so any correction would also be unprecedented. We are living through that correction right now, and there's no playbook for it because it's the first time it has happened to NASCAR. How do you replace a series sponsorship with a smaller one and maintain profits? It's never happened. Hell, I guarantee you that somewhere in NASACR's offices in Charlotte they still have Winston Cup letterhead, we aren't that far removed from that period. The point is that, for the first time maybe, the sport is looking at the reality that growth is not always linear, and that's unsettling because there is little living memory of bad times in NASCAR's offices.

The solution is not trying to maintain profits. It's being smart enough to understand that the boom of the 90s/00s was a once-in-a-lifetime situation that isn't going to repeat. NASCAR has one enormous strength: they're not publicly traded. There aren't vampiric shareholders demanding more and more money each quarter. And yet the France family are morons, and instead of doing the insanely obvious fix and doubling down on their traditional audience, they instead keep trying to pander to the masses, i.e. people who stopped watching NASCAR and aren't going to resume no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I’ve never personally understood the logic behind making winning a NASCAR title so dependent on winning a single race, when there’s so much that can happen in those races that’s entirely out of your control. It just doesn’t strike me as a good way to determine who’s actually good at stock car racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did anyone else actually watch less racing because of the stages? I don’t even turn most races on until the third stage starts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I honestly don't understand how someone can be fine with debris yellows but not be OK with stages, but everyone has their own tastes.

I’m fine with neither. Just let them race. Sometimes races will be boring. There are like 40 of them. Deal with it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wasn’t it last year where they had a really good low downforce package? What the hell happened to that?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Good on Danica if she can get a sponsor to pony up for Daytona, but where is she going to land a competitive car for one race? HMS, JGR, SHR are all full. Maybe Roush because their plate stuff has been good, even though Roush said they had no interest in putting Danica and Ricky on the same team ever?

Rumor is that she’ll be driving for Ganassi at Indy, so maybe them at Daytona as well?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

He was clearly being lovely about it in the interview. Said something sarcastic about “we’ve got a good buddy there,” as if all the other drivers are supposed to just pull into the pits and stop.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ryan Blaney is the only reason I care about NASCAR these days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wicka posted:

Ryan Blaney is the only reason I care about NASCAR these days.

This is a lie, I was literally shaking during the last few laps yesterday.

Stupid loving playoffs. So dumb, yet so effective.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kyle did 9/11

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

My money's on some sort of hydraulic jack system which will be an abortion.

Bill France, Sr. famously threatened to use a gun to enforce his anti-Union policy.

e-
https://twitter.com/Noble_Jim/status/933345267247648768

And now, the starting lineup for the Lowe's Chevy...Number One, Chaaaaaaaaaaaaad Knauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus!

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTBAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Knaus is for sure a #10.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tony Stewart murdered someone on camera

And the loving idiot wasted it on not-Kyle Busch

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

He killed someone, he didn't murder them. It's not the same thing, hth.

When it’s on purpose it’s murder.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is this going to be one of those situations where the kid is one of the existing kids' aunts/uncles like in King of the Hill with GH? Somebody do the math for me here.

2+2=he died

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

He and his ex-wife Pattie have two other children, Austin and Montgomery Lee.

Don’t @ me

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

Then why are you trying to make this happen?

Have you considered that maybe she wants to?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

Her words and expressions at the end of the season were not of someone who was enjoying this anymore.

By all means, if she really has the fire then good for her- but how could she? There's no way running in the back for years doesn't take the fun away.

No one would ever say this about anyone but Danica. She’s been a racing driver for like 30 years. You really think she just fully hates it now and is begrudgingly doing two more races as a cash grab? That’s idiotic, man.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did the forums explode? I can’t see that newest post.

E: ah, there it is

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Every racing driver in the world has looked frustrated at some point. Have you seen Alonso at any point in the last three years? Are you saying he’s just in it for the money too?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I have seen a lot of racing drivers look sad, frustrated, despondent, etc. in the time before they finally decide to retire. Many of them have continued racing occasionally after their retirement. I have never heard anyone accuse those drivers of only returning post-retirement for the money, until now.

There’s no defense to what you are saying. You hate Danica, and you have sculpted reality to allow you to hate her more. I don’t like Danica either; she isn’t particularly talented and her seat(s) could’ve gone to far better drivers. But it shouldn’t be a loving stretch to think she enjoys racing and wants to go out at the two biggest and best events before she hangs up her helmet.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

:negative: and so it begins

No, it’s already ended.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What did you think you were proving there?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Has it seriously not struck you that if you’re forced to post essay-length diatribes in an attempt to make sense of her actions and your assumptions, your assumptions might just be wrong?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Nobody asked you a god drat thing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Join the conversation or don’t, but no one cares to see you sit in the corner crying about posts you don’t like. All you ever do is bitch and whine about everything I say. It’s gotten real loving old, and it was never interesting to begin with.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Here's a nice short one for you then. At what point has Danica ever struck ANYONE as a person passionate and in love with racing for itself? She doesn't buschwhack, I don't recall ever hearing her go to some random local track to go race, almost every interview is either her talking about her brand, herself, or whomever wrecked her, rarely does she ever talk about racing itself at any length. It's always seemed far more her means to her end, rather than the other way around like most racers.

You mean other than dedicating literally her entire life to it?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Dedication is not passion and enjoyment, try again. (Optionally, don't)

My god, why do you hate this woman so loving much? Why do you speak this way about her, and no one else? Take your own advice and stop posting about her, it’s honestly just sad at this point.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I’m not taking it personally at all, lmao. Someone asked a dumb question - “why is she doing it if not for money?” - and I explained that she might just actually want to do it. Y’all are weird as gently caress.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Then cut the bullshit. No one is saying they hate her. No one has said it would be unique to her only. You have made far more posts than anyone else about it.

Lmao, “cut the bullshit” my rear end. You don’t have to bluntly say “I hate her,” you’re doing that when you bizarrely suggest everything she does has a corrupt, hidden meaning, when you suggest nothing like that about anyone else.

I’m posting because you’re replying, as you always do, and you always blame me. Your correct response was accepting you were wrong and letting it go. You can’t do that because you are a small, sad man. Prove me wrong.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut, you need to calm down and actually follow the conversation, because clearly you have no idea what’s being discussed and are just using this topic as another opportunity to attack me. It’s a pretty simple conversation, and it has quite literally nothing to do with defending Danica’s abilities.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My god man, what is your problem?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

There's nothing wrong with suggesting she might actually want to do it but you can't get pissy when people suggest otherwise.

In what universe do you think I’m the one getting pissy here? Please read what you and others have posted, then meet up with your posting friends somewhere and discuss how you can 1. stop doing this poo poo, and 2. stop blaming me for it. This should not be so difficult.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mactheknife posted:

Danica sucks, it's cool she's leaving.

Hell, I agree

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Whoops no I’m dumb

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Nah, it's all good. I just really appreciate Dale's candor so I'd kind of like him to keep it up.

I misread literally every single word you wrote, lmao.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I like Buckshot Jones.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Buckshot Jones is my favorite driver. Always has been.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR wanted $100M and got $20M. Can't remember if that's for the life of the contract or per year.

If that’s the life of the contract...gently caress.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

She could not be more unbearable even if she were actively trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

I wish her all the best with her "lifestyle brand" that will eventually show up at Kohl's or Target or wherever. At least she probably won't get someone killed or maimed in a mass of flaming, twisted metal doing that.

Famous last words

• Locked thread