Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Anime Reference posted:

The Monza oval was a death trap when it was brand new and sitting neglected for 50 years has not helped any.

iRacing did NASCAR on the oval, no plates. Handling had all the guidance of an RPG. It was a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I feel like this is backwards. If you can't get them to watch for free on TV, why would someone shell out the money to go in person?

Because the track experience is VASTLY better than watching on TV

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Dillon would disagree with "not an airplane"

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Holy poo poo, that really was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuPsawH9lqo&t=300s

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Arnold Layne posted:

NASCAR is such a loving joke

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

But would that invoke the 5 minute timer or nah?

Edit: Also I apparently won the thing last week, I got all upgrades already, so idk, any good Av suggestions?

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 5, 2017

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Norns posted:

Looks like the new NASCAR game coming is gunna have trucks and xfinity. Please don't suck new NASCAR game.

It will. If you tried the garbage they put out last year, it wasn't even close to not sucking. The handling was a total joke, you could just put your foot to the floor and lightly touch the brakes to steer at all tracks. Plate tracks, the hardest thing to gently caress up, were terrible with no bump draft, no side draft, and you could easily setup the car to be able to pull away all on it's own.

The game is only 3 months out. Let's see what they have out on their site

http://www.nascarheat.com/

Oh...nothing.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really hate that one. A race when the points battle has been decided isn't meaningless, it's meaningful because it's a goddamn motor race and you want to see who wins.

Which is why people don't give a poo poo about the chase when the on track product isn't quality. Does it add a bit to it, sure. Does it help having close margins between leader and 2nd, usually. But if you don't have the other 15-25 top positions having an actual battle either because no one can pass, that's more a problem than leaders pulling away.

That is NASCAR.txt. "You don't like the product? gently caress you, deal with it, we're not going to make it watchable". Not only clueless about their racing quality, but tone deaf to suggestion.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

NASCAR should run laps around the carousel at Sears Point and the boot at Watkins Glen

Fixed that

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Norns posted:

Didn't Richard just stomp a not super competitive field in the best equipment?

His 200 wins is definitely a fraudulent number of cup wins. By similar measurements, Kyle Busch should be called #2 in terms of wins with his 173.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

How would you start and park a post?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

drat, I got out-clevered by wicka. Time to make a hard right turn, sponsored by Coors.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

On the radioactive fox video they had the audio from the officials and it was like "hey guys don't you see that down on the yellow line?" "I'm not sure it looks like something" "OK throw the yellow throw the yellow"

This post has been brought to you by Dixie brand napkins. Good at the track and on it.

"My arm is itchy. Put out the Gold Bond Yellow flag"

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There's a better way to make it stop.

This post brought to you by the National Rifle Association.

That's Viking levels of gruesome, visit GoDaddy.com to see more

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Shame the reason isn't: PCM has been assessed a P1 Penalty for violating Section 12-1: Words detrimental to forums posting

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not generally a good idea to suggest killing anyone

Counter opinions brought to you by the AAA Drive For Autism

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

iospace posted:

How many races have not been sellouts this year?

I'm sure there's been more non sellout races in just this year so far than there have been sellouts in the last 5 years combined. There's a reason they're throwing seats in the garbage pile faster than Harvick can rattle off all his sponsors

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Just for posterity/documentation

The commercials were getting irritating at the start, so I was tracking them (not to the detail of green/yellow time), but in the first 2 hours from the drop of the green, 56 minutes of the first 2 hours were commercial time (side by side or full screen). In the last 90 minutes, there were only 21 minutes of commercials.

So, feel free to take a nap through the first 2/3rds of the race, you won't really see much anyway with NBC.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

WindyMan posted:

plate tracks...race hard...race clean.

This isn't the 80s or 90s plate races anymore. Front Row won one a couple years ago and had a drat good shot to do it again tonight. To "race hard", you have to drive like Keselowski and Logano through traffic, or else you're just riding in line. There is almost no margin for error or vagueries on where cars are around you. This race was good BECAUSE they were racing hard, there were more crashes than normal partly because the field experience level is lower than it's been in the past. But you can't have hard plate racing without a lot of wrecks, there's just not the margins to do things as cautiously as in the past.

I hate this kind of racing, but I don't see anything they can really do to spread the field which doesn't make it even more dangerous.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Is Truex going to win the championship? Because that'd be cool and good.

Him and Larson have been completely dominating this year.

So of course not.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

there was no strategy that was going to beat the 78

If this were still the 90s, I can think of a couple that would have been attempted.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Bowman to the 88

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/07/20/alex-bowman-hendrick-motorsports-no-88-car-dale-earnhardt-jr-2018/?linkId=100000000634288

e; God drat some of you are quick

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

http://racing-reference.info/driver/Alex_Bowman
He's definitely very good at taking care of equipment and making it to the finish intact, but that's about it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Sure, he's done fine in his massive sample size of a dozen races in good equipment. But still, he's not a big name guy, he's not got really an impressive history, and he's not even run full time for 2 years. Why put him into the car?

I hope nothing but the best for him, it just doesn't make any sense to drop him in full time in the top series.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

A falling sandwich is tragic, not dangerous, even at terminal velocity. Certainly if it was "tossed" as you say, then it's understandable, but everything has said "dropped". poo poo happens, it's not like a radio or anything dangerous dropped.

Taking someone's hard card isn't a small thing.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

It takes some serious skill to gently caress up that badly.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

hosed up the entry and was over the line, check
Jackman puts the car up before rolling back, check
Tire changers start going to work without rolling back, check
All the nuts off when dropping the car, check
Dropping the car with all the nuts off a tire, check
Dropping the car when it's already too late, check
Rolling the car back when it's already too late, check
Rolling the car back with all the nuts off a tire, check
Crew still on the right of the car when driver takes off (not their fault if driver went all of their own accord), check
Driver takes off with Crew on the right side of the car, check
Driver takes off without tire secured, check
Driver runs over air gun, check
Driver takes off without clearance (again, unclear), check
Driver keeps going with unsecured tire after being told stop multiple times, check

I can't think of any series of gently caress ups that goes on that long for one stop.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

New thread title :perfect:

Here's the better angle from live broadcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OErzL4HQsMo

Also, I forgot he also nailed his jackman earlier in the race as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOZk0Uowtys

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Authorities on the lookout for a man angry about his sandwich.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Ungratek posted:

This race is so loving stupid

Counterpoint, it's been one of the most entertaining Brickyard races in a decade+

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

I just tuned in before that restart, was it stupider earlier in the day?

Ever since Busch and Truex committed mutual suicide

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

I need a smiley that's this :eyepop: and this :stonk: combined.

:eyepoop:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

NASCAR release says "a" loose lug nut. Also "a" loose nut on the 6 and 17. Not something that would negate the win.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Top 4 JGR

All 6 JGR cars in the top 10

:suicide:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Divine Styler posted:

I get it. You're a fan of a no talent driver, that wouldn't even have a ride if not for his dad. You hate KB, because he turned Jr. At Richmond like a decade ago. At the end of the day, Jr. can't hold KB's post race diaper, and will end his career a never has been.

:cheers:

Congratulations on unseating Viking.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Now will he turn into a Logano, or a Gordon/Johnson

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

He has a point. I mean, when else in the history of NASCAR has there been a driver who's won "most popular" for nearly 2 decades straight who didn't have a huge pile of championships and wins? Surely not during any period when NASCAR was seeing any sort of significant growth.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

wicka posted:

I don't see how this possibly has anything to do with stunting NASCAR's growth, though.

:thejoke:

sportsgenius86 posted:

Brian France has hosed it all up so loving bad that there's really no legitimate argument anyone can make for any other individual being at fault.

:theproblem:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

nearly every Most Popular Driver winner wasn't the the best driver in NASCAR in a given year

The last time this was the case was 1988 (with Elliot), the next year he didn't win most popular for the first time in 6 years.

Other times were 1983 (Allison), 74-75, 1964 (Petty), 1960 (Rex White?), and 1954 (Lee Petty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

SwampYankee posted:

The whole "people should/do only root for the most talented athletes/teams" sentiment that Harvick is using is kinda wrong and dumb anyway. Most sports fans I know root for their home team regardless of whether or not they're winning games and championships, and aren't gonna switch to another team when theirs starts losing.

As a New England native, I can very safely say that "fans" that migrate from hot team to hot team are not the kind of people you really want following anything, and unless someone/team is completely dominating, they are the ones to lose interest the fastest anyway.

• Locked thread