Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hmm is this still going on? Bad series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hard not to view the segment races as a response to the lack of attrition these days.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Things used to happen before the last 50 laps. Cars would get better or worse in long runs on fresh/worn rubber, drivers would slowly get their car dialed in and find pace over 500 miles, people would blow up, or wreck. A lot of the variability and unpredictability is now gone.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still think Larson is promising once he gets out of that lovely-rear end Ganassi car.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

That's a little harsh...

It's extremely true. Only people from Boston are worse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually think the segments should just bring the cars down pit lane for a 10 minute break or so. the yellow flag laps just seem weird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't even know who's in the Roush 6 anymore but they suck rear end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kevin Harvick has finished Zero (0) races since betraying his fans and switching to Ford.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Every segment winner in NASCAR history has wrecked out of the race

Huge if true

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cygni posted:

Sure glad we added 21 laps of caution that we didn't need to this race.

They should change it to red flags with 15 minute breaks to work on the car, with a normal 3-lap pace car restart. This somehow strikes me as much less disruptive than endless caution laps, at least you can go to the studio for recaps or do mid-race interviews or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

Not a debris yellow anywhere all week.

I like that this is an implied acknowledgement on nascars part that debris yellows were almost always fake

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exploded mummy posted:

Waltrip is going to win this

:getin:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dentist toy box posted:

I'm just happy we didn't get a wet fart plate track gwc

God I hate GWCs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

Are there any good season review videos for the 80s 90s and 00s anywhere?

NASCAR never really did official season reviews, outside a few years. The best way to get into old racing is just to watch old races.

I'll be honest: for most old seasons, the championship battle isn't really that enthralling, they just ran like 30 races and someone ended up getting more points than everyone else. There's a few exceptions (1989, 1992) but NASCAR is really about the races above all else.

For a fun old race to watch, here's the 1989 Pepsi 400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rgkELQwyIU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The first race at Texas was a wreckfest that ended up with Jeff Burton's first win, which I remember being entertaining.

2001 was a great race but all the inters were great in 2001.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WindyMan posted:

There is nothing wrong with a team crushing the field and lapping everyone to the point where there are only 5 cars left on the lead lap. If NASCAR racing wasn't so manufactured for entertainment, it would probably happen more often even with the parity of the field.

yeah. bigger problems were those COT races where it looked like someone was running away with the race but then it turned out that it was just because of the insane clean-air advantage the COT gave you. always loved when the "fastest car of the day" was stuck in 10th after a bad pit stop because you couldn't loving pass in those things

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I see nothing wrong with a guy putting most of a field a lap down before halfway. My interest in NASCAR rapidly dropped once they started dropping debris cautions when it seemed like someone might stink up the show.

you know, if they're going to do this poo poo, I vastly prefer the stage system. at least everyone knows about them beforehand. if you're going to contrive poo poo to put on a good show, at least be transparent about it.

(good example: people complaining, pre-GWC that NASCAR was showing favoritism with throwing red flags on late cautions to ensure a green flag finish, so they made up a rule that any caution between 10-5 laps to go was an automatic red flag)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The decline of the mid-range team has been ongoing since the 2000s. I think the only guys we have left that you might call a mid-field team are the 47, the Petty cars, and maybe the Furniture Row guys. (and, at this point, maybe Roush).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

this isn't a Monte Carlo and it isn't #17 what is wrong with you

I like the T-Bird and the Monte was kinda too obvious.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A Logano/Busch fight is just boring now. Give me a fight between two drivers who aren't prone to acting like shitheads, and that's more interesting. Get like, Suarez and Chase Elliott to start their historic Feud.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I didn't watch the race so I'm pretty sure you're all joking about Newman winning

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bring back the wicker bill

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

L_Harrison posted:

Holy gently caress Larson's stats this year: finished 2nd or better in every race, except for Daytona (he was leading with 1 to go).

Imagine if he wasn't in a Ganassi car

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kyle Larson is the real goddamn thing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the most important thing about the all star race is that the last segment is 10 laps, nothing else matters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
remember that stupid rear end "quarters" format where the last segment was 25 laps, holy poo poo that sucked

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Spring '91 Bristol race is completely nuts.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

Finally getting around to watching Bristol 91. Holy poo poo Bristol is not a coliseum.

Also Earnhardt just went in reverse into the pits lmao

Spring bristol 91 is an insane race from a great season

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
either one of trucks or nationwide should be cut, i think. I'd cut Nationwide because it may be the worst racing series on the planet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't like cutting race lengths because it seems to be trying to fix the symptoms (the racing post-COT is very boring, so make the races shorter) rather than the cause (the cars don't provide good racing, though the latest Gen6 improvements have helped)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The loss of shitloads of the small Busch-only teams killed the series, which may have been a result of buschwhacking. I don't know how to fix that, though, other than drastically reducing the cost it takes to run competitively in Xfinity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had deep suspicions on IMSA being owned by the Frances, mainly because of how effectively they killed AMA, but then again, Grand-Am always generally seemed like a well-run series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Paul Heyman is a horrible businessman.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I won't stand for any Cale Yarborough slander in the NASCAR thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
here's another law of racing: if you're a star, the wrath of god will not come down on you. if you aren't a star, it will.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
To be clear, it's not the idea that NASCAR wouldn't penalize anyone for a engine block that's out of spec, it's the idea that if by some mistake at the shop, bad CNC, outright cheating, or whatever, Joey Logano rode in qualifying with an engine that was 5cc too large, NASCAR would also supend him for like a decade as they did Carl Long. I'm almost positive sponsors would flip the gently caress out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

reverting back to my first point, don't be a broke rear end and try and run Cup, it's really dumb

oh you're the guy who came up with the charter system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He died, wicka

• Locked thread