Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Nature's Bakery bet the farm sponsoring Danica. It's not surprising that it didn't work out, considering NASCAR core audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My wife just looked at me funny as I was getting a coke from the Fridge while singing "DAYYYTOOOOONNAAAAA" without realizing what I was doing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slickdrac posted:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/2/8/nascar-damaged-vehicle-policy-update-2017.html

I can't wait til we hit a track that Goodyear brings a hosed up tire and half the field has to retire because of this.

Daytonna field could be really small after a wreck. I do like the policy though, as I'm not a fan of wrecked drivers bring their cars back out to take revenge on whoever they think put them into the wall.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would think that the some of the heavy hitters in NASCAR are getting tired of all the rule changes.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
It's the caution clock where you get some points. I'll watch Daytona and hope the big one happens at the end of the first segment knocking out 2/3rds of the field because they can't fix the damage in under 5 minutes.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Dale Sr, he lost his life
didn't have a HANS device

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Anyone notice anything missing at the green flag on Sunday?

No bogity

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I wonder if he forgot or if someone finally said to cut that poo poo out. I guess we find out Sunday.

I hope so. NASCAR needs to tell the idiot Waltrip brothers that the broadcast is supposed to be about the Race. I can't think another sport where the allow the announcers to shamelessly self promote like NASCAR does.

I'm sure some rear end in a top hat will now post "What about [insert lame non-sport sport here]"

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

What's Monster going to do to increase NASCAR's popularity? Make everyone wear flat brim hats?

More silicon boobies.

Is there any sport where people are expecting the sponsor to bring in fans? I thought the sport was supposed to attract the fans and the sponsor markets to them.

Anyways, I understand why people cite the increased safety as a reason the sport has declined in popularity. In the old days (before you kids were born) stuntmen like Evil Knievel would have prime time live specials on Network TV where they would do crazy stunts and get amazing ratings. Back then, our culture considered these guys to be heroes. Today, we don't really see much of that anymore. Some Redbull driver will do something stupid, but it's not something that 10 million people will watch on ABC.

Today, the culture is different, and safety is prized over everything else. However, no one watches Safety TV specials on ABC, it's just something that's there.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
oops double post

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/835324983396167680

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They should dump the New Hampshire Fall race. It's too cold here anyways, and the track is terrible.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for Bruton to indirectly gently caress Bob Bahre after the two of them hosed North Wilkesboro, to be quite honest.

I dont get it. Bahre sold the track years ago.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

bigbillystyle posted:

Hasn't like half the field tried to punch Joey at some point throughout his career, same with Kyle too? If one punches the other and one of them ends up tackled and bloody I get the feeling most other teams are chalking it up to each them earning it one way or another. Either way it was funny to watch. Also Joey said in his post race that none of the punches landed but it sure looked like Kyle got him with the sucker punch, as weak as it may have been. Hard to miss from that close up.

I wonder if NASCAR will probate both or at least the #18 for the rest of the year basically taking any chance of rivalry off the board because of potential championship losing implications if they wreck each other? It is gonna be tough to keep away from each other for the next 33 races, especially if they end up battling for "playoff" positions late in the year.

I imagine the powers that run NASCAR are fairly conflicted.

1) NASCAR really needs some rivalries. It's pretty boring when the Drivers all like each other
2) Monster wants the drivers to show some emotion and mix it up.
3) Mars, Inc. isn't happy when Kyle goes off and does things that are not corporate and boring.
4) Kyle doesn't want to lose his sponsor

In the end, one of NASCAR's biggest problems is that most of the Sponsors are bad for the sport that they pay for. Racing doesn't lend itself to being a corporate drone.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VikingSkull posted:

The only driver I can ever remember losing a sponsor (outside of direct criminal behavior, like Mayfield) over behavior has been Kurt Busch, and he was legit out of control for a lil while. Mars doesn't give two shits about this if I had to guess.

quote:

The recent actions by Kyle Busch are not consistent with the values of Mars Chocolate North America. While we are disappointed with the situation, we hope the drivers and team members involved learn from this experience and continue to grow as professional athletes representing the sport.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
They did pull sponsorship for 2 races back in 2011 when Kyle pulled similar poo poo.

But now I'm convinced this is all lies.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

yall people liking the segments are insane

The segment racing changes have convinced me to change my mind. Before segments, I used to watch the weekly NASCAR strung out parade of cars and I just assumed that the drivers didn't give a poo poo and were just happy cruising around until the final 25~ laps. My opinion has changed.

Segment "finishes" (is that what we call them?) have shown me the light. NASCAR drivers were not holding back, they just were not willing to wreck each other for a pass until the end of the race. I'll never doubt Dale Jr again when he says stuff like "if you think Drivers are holding back, you don't know poo poo." These cars just plain suck to watch. Aero/blahblah/whocares.

95% of the race today bored me to the point where I watched Golf.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I want one.
http://rowdybusch.com/kyle-busch-nascar-gear/everything-is-great-mens-t-shirt/

https://twitter.com/KyleBusch/statu...894592005181444

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Peanut President posted:

It has been proven over and over that taller spoilers inhibit passing, why do they keep doing it?

It's been proven over and over that NASCAR is out of ideas. Why do we keep watching?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Good Race

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Peanut President posted:

Nascar 2017: gently caress THE HANDICAPPED

:drat:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would expect a lot more drivers to go. Jimmy bot can be far behind.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
12 posts on a cup race day? I was golfing, where was everyone else?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

I don't think the Chase in and of itself would've caused any decline, because as much as we complain about it, it is effective in consistently contriving a dramatic finale. I also don't think there's a single specific thing you can point at and say "this is what they did wrong," beyond the enormity of their success in the 90s and 00s setting a bar that's impossible to reach.

For me, it was the COT. However, even before that, the cars slowly went from something I could sort of relate to to a car with decals for tailpipes.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
There is no saving NASCAR. There are too many entrenched interests that will block any meaningful change.

Instead, they should invest in a lot of new series and see what sticks. (GRC for exampled)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Peanut President posted:

:siren:NASCAR HAS ENDED CARL LONG'S SUSPENSION FROM CUP:siren: After eight loving years he's gonna race this weekend!

They must be worried about car counts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

eighty-four merc posted:

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/05/14/aric-almirola-kansas-wreck-update/

Still not a lot of new information but at least he is "stable." The vagueness doesn't sit well with me, though.

It's PHI (Protected Health Information). You won't hear much until Almirola signs the appropriate forms.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
DW sort of Hints at it, but it's the corporate interests that are destroying NASCAR. Sponsors that demand milktoast drivers just destroy any rivalries. The people in charge care more about their stockholders than they do about racing.

Meanwhile, I have yet to sit though an entire race this season (unless I fall asleep) because clean air is king.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
NASCAR's real problem is that when I turn on a race these days on the TV, I setup a pillow on the couch and maybe a blanket. Then maybe I chat for a bit in #NASCAR on irc. Next, the dog wanders over and we all take an afternoon nap because the racing puts me to sleep.

Sometimes I wish there were more races at 9:00 EST because sometimes I get insomnia.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elephanthead posted:

Oh boy TV rating this week were poo poo, more cautions! We need more cautions!

It's almost like the people in charge don't know what to do so they just tweak things that are easy to tweak and hope for the best.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

What bullshit. The gun was in loving reverse and they didn't know till the drat wheel came off. And then it damage his car on top of that. I'm not even a fan of Kyle and I think this is stupid

I really dislike how all over the place the are with random new rules.

They let a tire roll. That's a safety issue. If you don't want to get suspended, be careful.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

exploded mummy posted:

They didn't let a tire roll down pit road.

They hosed up putting it on, causing the tire to fall off and almost whack the 78 in the middle of the loving track.

Does that make it better or worse?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Hot Silly Season rumors I have heard

Erik Jones to the 20
Matt Kenseth to the 5
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to JTG
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to the 10
Aric Almirola and Smithfiled to the 5
Danica moves on
Roush is closing
RPM is closing
Bubba to the 43
Bowman to the 88
Carl to the 88
Carl to the 1
Newman to the 1
Bowyer to HMS
Moster leaving the 41
Mobil leaving SHR
Menard to Penske
Menard to HMS
Target is leaving NASCAR
Subway is leaving NASCAR
Ty Dillon to the 31

100% Guarantee at least 1 of these might be true.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elitist Bitch posted:

Kyle Larson is too boring for whothefuckever replaced Jeff Gluck at USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dway/407610001/

I remember when Jimmie Johnson was the one catching grief for being "too boring". And boring driver personalities are far down on a very long list of problems the sport has.

I think boring drivers are near the top of the list of NASCAR problems. Kyle B moves the needle, Kyle L doesnt.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cygni posted:

I haven't been able to sit through a Cup race since Daytona. Stage racing has literally ended my enjoyment of the series. It's like the car switching in Formula E: until they get rid of that poo poo, I simply cannot care.

Gonna give it another shot this weekend cause its Sears Point and the other racing that day doesnt conflict. See how this goes.

At least you made it through Daytona. I haven't watched more that 20 percent of a race yet. I consider myself a Larsen fan but i find myself losing interest when I am watching the race.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't usually follow NASCAR but why were heats not considered? Or just red flags between stages?

In my experience, heats are the way that tracks narrow down the field for the final race because there are so many entries. For example, if a track has 100 entries and the quarter mile oval suits having 30 for the final, then heats make a lot of sense. NASCAR doesn't have enough entries to justify a need for heats.

Also, the sponsors would be pissed if their 18 million dollar car doesn't make the main even 3 races in a row.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A racer tries to race in every race he can race in and we hate it

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

exploded mummy posted:

it gets to be kind of ridiculous when non-full time drivers in a series account for like 75% of the wins in that series

If NASCAR wanted the series to truly act like the Minor Leagues similar to a stick and ball sport then they ban the cup drivers and we would never see them on TV. When we get a rally driver from the circuit at the small Rallycross events I race in, I'm thrilled not pissed.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2017/07/23/what-crowd-looks-like-brickyard-400/503102001/

Lots of pictures of empty stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would think that all the teams owned by Cup drivers will shut down. Sponsors won't pay nearly as much when it's Joe Noname instead of Brad K or Kyle driving. The teams will lose more money than they already do and that will be that.

• Locked thread