Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Vital information for new NASCAR fans: http://www.clickhole.com/article/11-simple-rhymes-help-you-remember-how-dale-earnha-5632

There's a Discord server now: https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu

-----------

MOD EDIT:

-----------

I'm giving the OP about exactly as much effort as it deserves this year. You all know the drill.

Shiny new logo!

Shiny new title sponsor!

Shiny new points system! (explained here)

Here's some links.

Cup Schedule
Xfinity Schedule
Trucks Schedule

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

LASTCAR posted:

Love how NASCAR slipped in that 40th place earns the same number of points as anyone else in the Bottom Five. It takes a special kind of skill to mess up last place.

That's actually a very good thing

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

LASTCAR posted:

But but but every position matters(TM)

The biggest problem with the race points is that they penalize poor finishes more than they reward good ones, so making lower positions closer in points payout means that you're screwed less for blowing an engine or whatever

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Daytona Day is a perfectly inoffensive marketing campaign and if you hate it that much you're just looking for reasons to be angry. If you want to get mad at NASCAR there's plenty of other bullshit you can focus on

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Counterpoint: It's fun to make fun of, and is some bizarre representation of how NASCAR is out of touch.

How is "get excited for the biggest race of the year, here are some cool race cars. maybe have some friends over too" out of touch? Like what the gently caress is the alternative?

Like I don't disagree that NASCAR is on the whole completely off the mark with what their audience wants, that's not even a debate. But the fixation on the commercial is stupid.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

LASTCAR posted:

We see that, but I don't think anyone else does. Casuals would see it as "look, here's some people celebrating and people you don't know, starring James Van Der Beek." They probably thought it was a movie trailer or a Smithfield commercial.

Confusing people isn't a great way to generate buzz.

There were loving race cars everywhere in what reality is that confusing

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's telling me that password is incorrect

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Races with like 10 cars left own

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't think anyone disagrees with that notion but if it happens at all it won't be for a while unfortunately

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Is there a reason why Cup doesn't run the Bud Shootout/ARCA/Pole Day this week?

Seems like the weekend is wide open for it.

Probably because Speedweeks is long/expensive enough as-is

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sick burn by the guy digging up an article from nine years ago

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Turdsdown Tom posted:

hey NASCAR friends I'm ready to watch the one weekend of NASCAR per year as I usually do. well actually I'll watch Talladega too if I can remember when it's on.

the NASCAR calendar online is looking kind of sad. can they really not find sponsors for any of these races? currently laughing my butt off at both races in Loudon being called the "New Hampshire 301" and the "New Hampshire 300" respectively

They usually find one by the time the actual race rolls around.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

New points system: every 16 laps nascar gives me 20 dollars

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

financially racist posted:

new nascar rule: whoever wins has to drive the last-place finishers car the next race and vice-versa

only if the change persists

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It'll be Junior

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Prepare to burn through your Suarez/Jones picks by week 12

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

Is Ty Dillon going full time, or is he just getting certain races? Even if he were full time I guess that still leaves the C list 9 races short on full time drivers not guaranteed to finish 30th or worse.

E: Also I get that Buesher made the chase but how is he on the B list? I wouldn't even want him on the C list if I could avoid it. Ragan, Menard, Stenhouse, and Patrick should all be C list in my opinion as well. It would at least give the C list some options.

Dillon is full-time. And Buescher isn't too crazy for b-list, JTG is a pretty decent B-level team at this point and Buescher has a lot of talent

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

daslog posted:

It's the caution clock where you get some points. I'll watch Daytona and hope the big one happens at the end of the first segment knocking out 2/3rds of the field because they can't fix the damage in under 5 minutes.

Attrition races own so hell yeah

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm watching a compilation of the best finishes from last year (there's a lot of good ones!) and it's incredible to hear just how much DW's commentary these days is just incoherent babbling and blatantly playing favorites. Please take him out of the booth, it's awful.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 17, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

Like listen to the finishes of the first phoenix race and Sonoma,which should be great calls, but dw is just yelling over everyone.

The 500 is the most egregious to me because he's not even yelling words, just sounds.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Last year's Dover spring race was incredible because it had actually good hard racing for the lead through the entire back half of the race. It's a shame that's such an outlier.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cygni posted:

losing stewart, biffle, and edwards in one year removes 96 cup wins, 706 top 10s, and 50 poles from the field. meanwhile, the "young guns" replacing them, like ty dillon, chris buescher, and daniel suarez have managed a combined 7 wins in 252 xfinity starts...

It's hard to take much stock in Xfinity wins when Busch/Keselowski/Logano etc have won like 80% of them in that timeframe.

Jones will definitely be championship-caliber fairly quickly I think. Suarez will be decent by virtue of his equipment alone and I think he has enough talent to back it up. Buescher has the talent and I really hope he makes the most of JTG equipment and can dip out on his Roush contract.

Alain Post posted:

I still think Larson is promising once he gets out of that lovely-rear end Ganassi car.

He's doing pretty well in that ride already, so yeah.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Biffle announced he was leaving Roush in like October and they shuttered that team for the time being. The 37 has the 16's charter for this year

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Race cars on a race track all day today :toot:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I find it impossible to care who does and does not qualify for the Busch Bud Clash Shooutout

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

First car to wreck in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series: The Monster Energy car

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That got real fun at the end. If Bowman had pushed Kyle instead of trying to get around him they both would've had a shot at the win.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Larson was parked because the 5 minute rule includes an automatic disqualification if there are too many men over the wall.

:fuckoff:

I'm guessing they tweak that rule 2 or 3 times by year's end

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

You say potato,

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Who is the moron in NASCAR acting as media partner liaison who said "No, we'd like to put Daytona 500 qualifying on the network and a race the same weekend is fine on cable"?

It is amazing the lengths you will go to to find something to complain about

Anyway lol at the timing and scoring cutting out on junior's lap

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Good to see NASFACTS landed a paying gig

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Quantrill posted:

Michael Waltrip won today
I just hope Dale is okay

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The ratings soon dropped off the charts
When Helton said, "we've lost Earnhardt"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

After Adam died, it was three deaths later
When NASCAR made the barriers safer

But they knew how to fix that crap
Let Jeff Burton lead every lap

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Don't worry guys, the most important Jayski page lives on:

http://www.jayski.com/home/

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Peanut President posted:

still the best

edit: Also I never noticed this before
http://www.jayski.com/irvan.htm

THIS IS AN UN-OFFICIAL ERNIE IRVAN SITE Updated 6-25-2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

McMurray is going to wreck this field

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

quote:

Average prices have dropped 19% over the last three days to $209, according to TicketIQ.

"The fact that there's more inventory available this year than in years past means that it will be cheaper than ever to see this historic event," TicketIQ spokesperson Jesse Lawrence said

hmmm

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Joe trying to kill his kid

• Locked thread