Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That was some fuckin AIR :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...6832162001.html

Here's the on-board videos.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I feel like the segments are gonna be weirder in Trucks/Xfinity because they're shorter races, but they might work out okay in cup. The extra regular points works well I think, it's the playoff points I've yet to wrap my head around

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why is fox so loving terrible?

I don't hate the drivers or teams of Cup. They're fine.I'm trying to support them by watching this sport. But good loving night...can you stop kissing NASCAR's corporate rear end, Fox. Sorry to vent..but it's getting old.

Hm yes let's dump on the sport we're covering, that'll help ratings

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I feel like the Chase and the increasing number of rules changes have more to do with it than anything, though I guess that's drawing more from my personal experience than anything. The safety stuff and the COT are hard to argue with when you see wrecks like McDowell's at California in '08 and at least have a very valid reason behind them. The constant points tinkering and barely masked faux-excitement have been a plague that's only gotten worse in the past 4-5 years, and it was all to fix a problem that never existed in the first place.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am always excited for Daytona, and I am ready to be spectacularly disappointed by the winner.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If your not amped for 3-time Daytona 500 winner Matt Kenseth theirs the door

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I cannot wait for the day that Darrell is no longer on TV

edit: put Gronkowski in the booth

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 26, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Do you like the direction NASCAR's headed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9NGc1OuKeU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm liking the format so far tbh, in spite of itself. If they can tone down the canned "wow! this is exciting!!" remarks and tighten up the cautions it'd be pretty solid.

Too bad all the extra points mean gently caress-all with the chase still around.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Darrell Waltrip awkwardly chuckling is the sound that will play in my head when I die

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sick ollie by Dale

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

The crash clock rule hurting Junior in the first real race is probably exactly what NASCAR wanted to avoid in regards to people being super annoyed with it

"Starting at Atlanta, the damage clock will be increased to ten minutes"

e: sounds like his car was beyond repairable, though, at least in terms of staying competitive.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Alain Post posted:

i actually think the segments should just bring the cars down pit lane for a 10 minute break or so. the yellow flag laps just seem weird.

It's kind of an awkward middle ground, yeah

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Every segment winner in NASCAR history has wrecked out of the race

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ford Destruction Power Hour

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

99% of real debris cautions were caused when a heavily damaged car had part of its makeshift repair work fly off and land on track

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Would Kasey Kahne be the most underwhelming Daytona 500 winner ever?

No, because Ryan Newman exists, but he'd be close!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Cassill almost missed it :(

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This race is hilarious, but I am enjoying it

Cole Whitt led some laps! Cole Whitt!!!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I wasn't sure about KFC Georgia Gold the first 82 times, but now...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

enjoying this commercial-free coverage

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

What a weird race!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am bummed for Larson, but that got interesting at the end at least. It would've sucked if Chase just coasted to the win.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DiBenedetto 9th, Brendan Fuckin' Gaughan 11th

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Best part of the race was no one wanting to help Logano, or Kyle bitching about tires cause he is a bad driver.

You can think Kyle is the worst driver in the world but there is no reality in which that wreck was in any way a driver error

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Let's focus on one thing that can bring us all together: Kasey Kahne is loving Terrible

That's giving him too much credit, he has actually become the purest incarnation of mediocrity.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Elitist Bitch posted:

I have to look at a loving photo gallery to see the qualifying results on NASCAR.com?

gently caress you NASCAR.

(Yes, I tried to look on Jayski. The PDF wasn't working.)

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/race-center/2017/monster-energy-nascar-cup-series/folds-of-honor-quiktrip-500.qualifying.html

???

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Norns posted:

Just started watching the race. I miss anything good?

Depends on how much you like old-fashioned rear end-kickings

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

horns.aiff

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Kyle, buddy. You gotta try a little harder than that

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

shyduck posted:

My money's on Dover losing a date

I hope it is not Dover

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ḙ̹̰̜͉̱͉N͔̤̹̭͕C̪U̸͓̫̻͈̳ͅMͅB̲̣͖͕E̷R̦̲̤̹͢E̵D̫͈͝ ͇͈̜FI̯̣̘͔̠̭N̙̰̖͟Ì̲͓̩S̨͈̤H͞

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/three-nascar-teams-incur-encumbered-finish-penalties-after-atlanta-880851/

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Alain Post posted:

The decline of the mid-range team has been ongoing since the 2000s. I think the only guys we have left that you might call a mid-field team are the 47, the Petty cars, and maybe the Furniture Row guys. (and, at this point, maybe Roush).

I assume you mean Front Row, but yeah that's about all in the mid-tier. I'd pretty solidly put Roush in there at this point.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ugh, another late-race mishap fucks the 78.... wait,

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bloodsport :unsmigghh:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Joey's now had issue with all the JGR drivers.

Is that including Suarez?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Douchebag posted:

Why was someone blowing a whistle? Do NASCAR pit officials have whistles?

There's a lot of whistles on pit road, crews are always moving heavy poo poo around and fans tend to be in the way.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

There's only like 2 cup drivers in the xfinity race tomorrow (Blaney and Suarez) Not a drill!

Also Jones and the Dillons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

No additional penalties for Austin Dillon for going back at Cole Custer yesterday. You're not getting that rule, Boomer.

Did NASCAR do away with the moronic, IndyCar copycat "Nobody can do or say anything bad to/about anyone else" policy from last year or is NASCAR just completely incompetent at enforcing it?

NASCAR has never been consistent about enforcing anything, so

• Locked thread