Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

1997, Gordon's Groovy
Upcoming doc, it's a home movie.

FS1 is running a documentary about Gordon's 1997 Daytona 500 win Thursday after the Duels and I guess at least part of it is a never-before-seen film about the race made by HMS. In the trailer, Gordon says he's never seen it and Evernham claims nobody has. I wondered why they decided to run it this year and then I realized it was the 20th anniversary of that race and Jesus Christ that was 20 years ago? :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NASCAR 2017: Poetry Slam

kidcoelacanth posted:

But they knew how to fix that crap
Let Jeff Burton lead every lap

They threw the green flag, all passing ceased.
That time they had plates in the Northeast.

Earnhardt's death, tragic, one of the best.
But worse than Richmond's fudged drug test?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Stop making poems, listen to my heed!
This is a shitshow that you have to read:

quote:

Monster paid about $20 million, below Nascar’s asking price of $35 million and nowhere close to the original goal of $100 million, according to television and racing-industry executives familiar with the new contract. A Nascar spokesman wouldn’t comment.

:tviv:

quote:

The siblings won’t disclose their exact ownership stakes in Nascar. Four people familiar with the matter say Mr. France sold his entire stake in the company more than a decade ago. He says he still holds equity in the family-owned company. As a result, these people say, Mr. France essentially works for his sister and uncle even though he is Nascar’s chief executive. That means he runs the sport on a day-to-day basis but is supposed to seek approval from Ms. Kennedy and their uncle for major changes.

She didn’t know ahead of time that Brian planned to announce in 2015 a ban on flying the Confederate flag at races. The announcement came right before Daytona International Speedway, owned by International Speedway, which she runs, was about to host a race. The company had to scramble to develop a policy on what to do if fans brought a Confederate flag anyway. They were offered an American flag.

quote:

Executives at NBC, part of Comcast Corp.’s NBCUniversal unit, raised the possibility of moving some Nascar races to the middle of the week, says Jon Miller, president of programming at NBC Sports.

That would limit the number of Sunday races that compete with NFL games for viewers, possibly boosting TV ratings but hurting attendance in person. Race fans often travel a long way and attend pre-race events that can go on for several days or longer.

quote:

In October, the siblings went to NBC Sports headquarters in Stamford, Conn. TV ratings for the Nascar season were headed for another decline. NBC executives pressed Ms. Kennedy and Mr. France to make radical changes.

They agreed to take action. In December, Nascar gathered racing-team executives, drivers, track operators and TV executives at the Wynn Las Vegas hotel. The siblings didn’t attend.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/long-in-victory-lane-nascar-hits-the-skids-1487686349

e-

quote:

The Daytona 500 will be the first major race under the new rules, and Nascar is working on at least a dozen more potential changes.

NASCAR 2017: NASCAR Is Working On At Least A Dozen More Potential Changes

:tif:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 21, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Is Monster's contract one year or is it more?

The last I'd heard was that the term wasn't made public.

dentist toy box posted:

Ummm go to Jayski. They ruined it.

Yeah, that's awful.

quote:

Welcome to the brand new Jayski NASCAR Silly Season site!It'll take time to get used to, but in the long run, it'll be better! So enjoy!

NASCAR 2017: It'll take time to get used to, but in the long run, it'll be better! So enjoy!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

He's a dork, but he's our dork and he made the easiest NASCAR site to read in the history of NASCAR. Just don't directly link paint schemes from his site because he doesn't like that. (It looks like most of his pages are still intact, as the team charts are still vintage Jayski.)

Thinking more about that WSJ article makes me wonder why Lesa and Jim have kept Brian around as long as they have unless there's some nepotism skewing their decision or they think firing him into the Sun would do more harm than good.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

1948, Big Bill takes credit from a group of racers, forms NASCAR to make boatloads of cash

2017, fans finally figure out that NASCAR exists only to make the France family money

I've long lamented Brian's probably going to be filthy rich even if this sinks while unemployment in the areas directly north of Charlotte increases, I just didn't realize Jim and Lesa were too loyal/horribly incompetent or apathetic to fire him as a result of his actions. How many CEOs see their revenue cut in half due in part to the their own actions but get to keep their job? Then again, I see the quote about "Our relationship has never been better as siblings", which becomes typical NASCAR propaganda when it's followed by "when times get tough, they talk through intermediaries". :tif:

It's like having faith in the captains of the ship to somehow steer through the iceberg field only to realize they're aimed straight at the biggest one and going "Come on, we'll just slice it in half! It'll be OK.".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 22, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tell me more racing stories, SRA.

Unrelated, does Bowyer dip?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

NASCAR's going to go full IndyCar and put way too drat many road courses on the schedule. Naturally, they're going to even screw up the addition of road courses by the fact they're rovals and not free-standing facilities.

(No, Indy, street circuits are road courses. It's not different.)

As someone who's gone every year since 2003, I can't tell if I'd like the Coke Zero 400 to be on the road course at DIS or not. I heavily lean toward no because I love plate racing and because the caution laps in the one IROC race I saw on the road course (2006) were way too long (just run the drat oval under caution). Maybe run an exhibition race on the infield on Thursday if they want to try it this year?

FuzzySkinner posted:

If they're going to "Fix" that weekend? it's far better they have Trucks, XFS race at IRP with Silver Crown, Sprints on Thursday, Friday, Saturday Nights. Bring back IROC too. Lord knows that needs to come back.

Yeah, any incentive for me to go back to IMS for NASCAR would be aided by a return to IRP.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

Well, the difference here is that IndyCar road courses are frequently very boring, while NASCAR road courses are usually some of the silliest and most entertaining racing you'll see all year.

It's the combination of boredom and 2/3rds of the IndyCar schedule being on road courses. They need more ovals.

As you said, The Glen/Sonoma/Mid-Ohio/Road America/Mosport are all appointment viewing with NASCAR because a) it's different, b) the races are often really fun, and c) it's still somewhat novel. The infield course at Daytona is fine, but I remember seeing IMSA races at Homestead, Kansas, and California and hating all three. My concern is the races losing their novelty if you overdo it, especially if you add crappy rovals because ISC wants their profits versus Montreal, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta (which ISC owns), etc..

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That's awesome.

And Ryan Blaney's got a Charter and is going to win the Duel or junk the field trying. Let's go 21-38 fun train.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This Gordon/Evernham '97 Daytona 500 documentary is awesome. Evernham was a tremendous bullshitter, Chad Knaus as an underling is a bizarre sight, and LIEUTENANT BOOTIE YOU GOT LEGS.

fake edit- Apparently it's not Bootie Barker I'm seeing.

e- "He says there's poo poo all over the fuckin' racetrack. Don't gently caress this race up". -Evernham to the official in his pit after being told they might restart it.

And wow, there's a Dale Jr "Back In The Day" of the race, too.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 24, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I both hate Stages and am kind of interested to see who "wins".

e- Ok, that was both entertaining and terribly stupid. Did anybody NOT see a wreck coming to the end of the segment?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bonus points or whatever the gently caress they are are going to be really satisfying when a Buschwacker costs series regulars points.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fuseshock posted:

Did JWT attempt to wreck the field? Oh wait that was our very own SRA! :3:

Austin Cindric is out so somebody had to do it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Skip to the start of the race. Michael appears to be reading a script leading up to the first wreck:

https://www.facebook.com/NASCARonFOX/videos/vb.239115849477537/1270219369700508/?type=2&theater

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

Commentators always have an enormous amount of notes.

Right, but it looked like he was reading verbatim from the sheet, though. Maybe he had a couple lines pre-prepared which he wanted to get out early because he didn't seem to go back to it again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iqgTwu78WU&t=3s

I think Crafton was leading while airborne. :golfclap:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I find funny that NASCAR both implemented a system which creates cautions while simultaneously creating a rule intended to reduce cautions.

I'm actually liking the first so far. The other is a Brian France Good Idea.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That NXS race sure was a thing.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Would it be a colossally retarded thing to say that part of the reason NASCAR lost its appeal is due to how heavy-handed they were in making everything ultra safe after Earnhardt's crash? Was debating with a friend last night after I brought up the Daytona 500.

I firmly believe the beginning of the end was the COT. I hated the look of it, I hated the racing with it, it makes me puke in my mouth. The current car has KIND of started going back to the early-2000s model, but still sits somewhere inbetween.

I think it's good that people who race cars should have safety features. I just think sometimes safety features don't equate to good or fun racing for anyone other than those behind the wheel

Just trying to figure it out because I remember enjoying NASCAR all the way up til 2005-6, and then completely dropping off after that

The CoT was NASCAR execution in a nutshell: Good idea, horrible execution. I had no problem with them trying to improve the safety of the cars, but if they'd found a way to make it at least vaguely look like the stock cars we were used to (like, I don't know, the Gen 6?), it might have been less hated. Instead, we got a boxy piece of crap which was one generic, universally hated car with different manufacturer decals and a wing which, in an ironic twist, may or may not have been causing more cars to get upside down.

I look at the cars still running in ARCA and those, to me, look like what a "stock car" should look like aesthetically, even if there's nothing stock about it.

It's reached the point where NASCAR, Inc. is either aloof to the point where they genuinely think everything they do will save the sport or they're just so arrogant that they don't care about the sport or the fans while frantically baleing water out of the rowboat, and the WSJ article seems to add some fuel to that fire. As Kidc said, the Chase and the perennial continuous improvement plan NASCAR seems to be in has taken the sport from enjoyable to ridiculous to the point where some dumb fuckin' tweak to the sport to make it Better! is almost an annual occurrence (hence, the thread title). Unfortunately, NASCAR was emboldened by the first Chase catching lightning in a bottle; years like 2004 and 2011 were the exception to the rule, so a format which, while dumb, was at least understandable, has devolved into a living, breathing version of the race-off from a children's movie.

Apparently Bill Jr. never imparted "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." on his kids. I say "kids" because I always used to pin things on Brian, but Lesa may not be much better.

e- Another thing which just crossed my mind watching the NXS race is that there are a number of guys who were in Trucks in the last few years in that race. I know there was never a proper ladder system in NASCAR, but it's an example of how poorly NASCAR allowed the sport to be stocked with the "stars of tomorrow" because we just had to have Kyle Busch win 10 races a year in NXS to sell more tickets. With Gordon, Stewart, and (love or hate them) Edwards and Biffle gone and the general feeling being Junyer's career is nearing its end, where are the next drivers to get excited about? Blaney and Larson seem fun, Elliott is bland, Jones seems like a dick out of the Kyle Busch mold...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 26, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I don't know about you, but I quite enjoyed that Monster Energy infomercial just now with Gronk.

BMB5150 posted:

Good news for today's race,

Brian France said that you shouldn't be blocking and there may be consequences.

http://jeffgluck.com/brian-france-daytona-500-blocking-comment/

Jesus.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jones tried his best to imitate Kevin Lepage there.

wicka posted:

Anyone got a link to a spotters guide? New Jayski site sucks so much rear end.

Follow the dropdown menus. Jayski's team charts are still the same old site.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing it anywhere.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/pages/story/_/page/jayski/here-how-find-your-favorite-content-jayski

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/_/page/2017-NASCAR-Cup-Team-Driver-Chart

It looks like the only thing they migrated to ESPN is the homepage. Might want to OP that first link Kidc.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Weren't they going to condense commercials to the Stage breaks?

wicka posted:

No I mean like an actual spotters guide.

Scroll down the first link and you'll come to a team list with paint schemes. He's never had an Indy/IMSA-style "Here is the car and how it looks" thing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I...don't hate the Stage system? :psyduck:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I can't see any overly fierce racing at, say, Atlanta unless somebody's got a great shot at winning a segment, but I'm totally down with the segments and think it actually might be a bit of an improvement and I can't believe I'm typing this.

I refuse to call them Stages, though.

e- That crunch you heard was the sound of NASCAR's ratings for the rest of the day going down the toilet.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This is the first time in my life I can ever remember thinking a race has taken too long.

e- It's playing perfectly into my Blue Jackets watching, though. Most of these cautions have been during the first period.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 26, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Yeah, they just made a big deal about commercial free to the finish and then, guess what? Commercial! :wtc:

They are not executing this at all like they said they were going to.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

WindyMan posted:

I think this just goes to show that NASCAR's problems were never something that were going to be fixed with a change in the race format. The problems of too many cautions, too many commercials, is going to keep sinking NASCAR. I'm not tuning in next weekend.

I can live with the cautions, but the fix to commercials hasn't been a fix at all and it's glaring.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:lol: Fuel Mileage.

Tony Gibson. :3:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The only Jayski page which has been ESPN'd is the homepage. If you go to look at most other pages, they're still old school Jayski. :eng101:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The TV networks advertised interviewing the Stage winner as a feature of the downtime under caution and, if it's something they're trying to build time in for, it's something they're putting way too much stock into. I don't care.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Norns posted:

Are there any good season review videos for the 80s 90s and 00s anywhere?

YouTube would be your best bet. I think they have a couple because I wanted to run some in CyTube one night.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Volkerball posted:

At the end of each stage, park all the cars diagonally down the length of a turn, and when the siren goes off, all the racers have to run up the banking, jump in their cars, start them, and take off. Fastest ones out are the leaders.

Fun twist: the brakes are released when the siren goes off.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

In addition, FOX Sports announces several minor start time updates to its 2017 FOX NASCAR television schedule:

quote:

· Atlanta NASCAR XFINITY Series race on Saturday, March 4 (2:00 PM ET, FS1)
· Bristol NASCAR XFINITY Series race on Saturday, April 22 (1:00 PM ET, FS1)
· Richmond NASCAR XFINITY Series race on Saturday, April 29 (1:00 PM ET, FS1)
· Eldora NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on Wednesday, July 19 (9:30 PM ET, FS1)
· Las Vegas NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on Saturday, Sept. 30 (8:00 PM ET, FS1)
· Martinsville NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on Saturday, Oct. 28 (1:00 PM ET, FS1)
· Texas NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race on Friday, Nov. 3 (8:00 PM ET, FS1)

gently caress you, NASCAR, some people nearly everybody at that drat racetrack has to work the next day. Including me. :ramsay:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Harveygod posted:

This is so terrible that I suspect this may be part of a seceret plan to kill the race so they don't have to do dirt anymore.

The race itself isn't terribly long (the feature is only like an hour and a half), but for the fans (who still come out in decent numbers in spite of a) it being a work night and b) an hour from any decent-sized population center and c) a sport on the decline) who have to mill out to the parking lots, sit in some traffic leaving the traffic, and have to go home to get up the next morning, it sucks. It's pants on head stupid on the part of NASCAR, FOX, and/or Eldora. Then there are the fans who might not care to stay up late enough for one of the better races of the year.

I wonder if this is some sort of litmus test to figure out how many people may watch a weeknight Cup race (i.e., who's devoted enough willing to stay up to 11pm Eastern).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Could that be an estimate of the start of the Main race? I can't imagine they'd start heats that late.

I'm figuring that has to be it. If coverage of the race starts at 9:30, you're probably looking at a 9:45-9:50 green flag after the Anthem/command/Tony Stewart's Four-Wide Pyro Salute To The Fans.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rumors are Vegas is apparently getting a second Cup race, which means an SMI property is going to lose a date.

Elephanthead posted:

Why do they only show the top 12 Nationwide qualifying? Did the intern just say gently caress it I am not typing anythign else?

I turned the NXS race on to have as white noise while I did work and turned it off when AA/Mikey/Chase talked about how lucky the rookies are to have six Buschwackers take stage points from series regulars in the first segment.

The more things change...

Norns posted:

Is the Atlanta resurface next year?

Yes.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 4, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

If I remember right, the Fall Texas race had one of the worst crowds I've seen at a Cup race last season.

Not that that would matter to Bruton, he's just finally going to shaft NHMS, which we've been predicting since Bob Bahre sold him the track.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I still kinda like the Segment concept. I didn't think I'd say that, but here we are.

It has no impact on affecting the bitchslap Harvick is laying on the field, but I don't hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

GOOD JOB KYLE LARSON. :downsbravo:

Elephanthead posted:

So the guy purposing staying in the track with a broke car hosed Harvick lol.

He's the one Harvick criticized for being a legacy and poo poo on RCR over, too.

• Locked thread