Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

woot.

go dale.

Also viking do you have a twitter? (any other sascar goons have a twitter?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Does Daytona Day actually exist?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHv7nxuY_Rw&feature=youtu.be&a

BUY THIS MAN AN ACCOUNT.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Daytona Day is a perfectly inoffensive marketing campaign and if you hate it that much you're just looking for reasons to be angry. If you want to get mad at NASCAR there's plenty of other bullshit you can focus on

Counterpoint: It's fun to make fun of, and is some bizarre representation of how NASCAR is out of touch.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

How is "get excited for the biggest race of the year, here are some cool race cars. maybe have some friends over too" out of touch? Like what the gently caress is the alternative?

Like I don't disagree that NASCAR is on the whole completely off the mark with what their audience wants, that's not even a debate. But the fixation on the commercial is stupid.

I always thought "SPEEDWEEKS" was a better way of pitching that to fans, but that's just me.

I think to me it's just the fans kinda being able to channel their annoyances towards what NASCAR has become via that commercial.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Speedweeks I think is more geared at the hardcore fans, where as daytona day is supposed to draw in the more casual viewers.

I mean yeah, but I think it works in that regard.

I remember growing up and my dad watching Daytona practice/duels/shootout...whatever with the same amount of enthusiasm as he did with watching daily updates during May.

Now he finds Cup boring, sadly. :smith:.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

It's better than anything ABC's ever done to promote IndyCars so...

Yeah which is pretty much going "hey uh there's a race this weekend. maybe watch it? I don't know....."

To their credit? They cover the race well...they just don't know how to promote it worth a drat. The reverse is true with Fox Sports and Cup post-2004 or so.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 7, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Maybe I don't want casual people to watch the goddamn 500, you ever think of that? That's how we got Brian France and his marketing buddies running poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agrxvRaQICc

What do you mean, peanut?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Nah, not really. It was really ham fisted in general, making it seem like regular people treat it like the super bowl

I'm trying to figure out how you would indeed get "regular people" to watch it.

I think in some ways you kinda have to get "car fans" back into watching it first to be perfectly honest, but NASCAR seems rather hellbent in turning those types away.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I mean if you really want to sell the 500 look no further than LASTCAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcaT-mS2JNM

When I first saw the new round of "DAYTONA DAY" ads that thought immediatly came to mind. "Just hire LASTCAR and call it a day"

PYF NASCAR/Daytona 500 teases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibhdXuAx4U&

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

For Viking. Here ya go

https://twitter.com/Rojodi/status/829521548201644032

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Quick whine?

I'd love to look at an XFS schedule one day and see them running random rear end venues again rather than them just being a companion series for cup. That would rule so much.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone done the Forza NASCAR Expansion pack yet?

Holy gently caress are Stock cars fun to drive at Monza, Catalunya and Bathurst. There's even a mode where you race against GT and v8 supercars in some sorr of fantasy "FORMULA LIBRE" stock car sort of thing.

I want these things to happen so goddamn badly now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dentist toy box posted:

Just from a random article on Jayski I realized Ford hasn't won a championship since 2004 and loving lol at that.

Also Forza 6 is probably the best NASCAR game out right now.

I just wish they had a few more ovals to the mix.

That and a few of the "throwback' stockcars. (Kulwicki's "Underbird", The Aerowar cars, Bill Elliott's record breaker, etc).

algebra testes posted:

Normally my default position is "Take that fantasy rear end schedule making nonsense back to the Indycar thread."

But real talk? I am 100% in agreement with you.

I know that "technically" running a XFS car around Myrtle Beach or South Boston probably isn't super beneficial for development for a Cup Car on a cookie cutter 1.5 mile. But goddamn it's fun!!

Which is kinda what I like. I'm not going to bother watching an XFS race at Kansas for example, but one of the short tracks you mentioned, or a place like CGV, Road America, etc? Holy poo poo do those generally deliver.

That's kinda why I enjoyed watching busch back in the day. Random rear end drivers driving at places that Cup generally never went to. Fun as hell.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 12, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I mean you say that but I'd rather watch cup run those tracks instead of Kansas.

Can't we all just agree that Kansas, Chicagoland, and others really should have never had Cup dates in the first place? Good god did those only have a short term pay off for fans.

And agreed. I really think CGV should have become a Cup weekend.

e: I mean this loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eekkNsoN3_M

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 12, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Running at a regional track presents a problem.....

..... NASCAR doesn't own them and they'd have to share profit with someone else.

yep..

that sweet tv money.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

That's why they founded imsa

They used to have the Trans Am championship as well, which was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R13NN50cw4&

Dan Gurney pretty much called it the "NASCAR" of the Road Courses.

(it still exists...but it's kind of a shadow of it's former self. PWC is kinda the de facto Trans Am series now)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Saucer Crab posted:

People are stupid as poo poo.

I mean, I am too, I loved the old open wheel course at the Cleveland airport for some crazy reason, and I never have kept up open wheel stuff all that much.

I'd highly recommend giving it a go again.

Pick your races though. (Start with Indy, and skip races like Belle Isle, etc).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Is there a reason why Cup doesn't run the Bud Shootout/ARCA/Pole Day this week?

Seems like the weekend is wide open for it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Probably because Speedweeks is long/expensive enough as-is

Eh, was just suggesting moving it up a week is all.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/LewisFranck/status/831181429199478784

:tviv:

Maybe those Carlos Slim "Put Suarez in Cup NOW" rumors had something to them.

The 500 was President's Day weekend until 2012, at which point it was pushed back a week for spacing between the Shootout and the Super Bowl/possible expansion to an 18-game NFL season: http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2011/02/20/daytona-500-date-2010.html

Interestingly enough, it's moving back to President's Day next year: http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/daytona-500-moving-back-to-traditional-weekend-in-2018-072716

god the NFL ruins everything, o they not?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

We could watch some of the old Trans Am and one of the two IROC races that Cleveland hosted sometime.

(there's one from the early 90's I've yet to see posted)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My dumbass take is this, and it's somewhat based on what Dale Sr. said back in the day:

quote:

Don't forget it was Dale Earnhardt who once said, "watch the first 10 laps, mow your yard, take a nap and then watch the last 10 laps", and that was followed a few years later by his son saying: "we need to cut a couple of hours out of these races."

Solution? Just make the races shorter. Save for Daytona, Charlotte, Talladega and Darlington? There's no reason to go the length these races do. Could even divide the races up and make them "twin weekends" thus kinda making them more of a fun weekend, and less likely for us to suffer through a garbage XFS race at the same track, on the same weekend.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Things used to happen before the last 50 laps. Cars would get better or worse in long runs on fresh/worn rubber, drivers would slowly get their car dialed in and find pace over 500 miles, people would blow up, or wreck. A lot of the variability and unpredictability is now gone.

yeah the lack of attrition really fucks with the sport it seems.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

mactheknife posted:

Does anyone here collect race programs? Been unpacking some old poo poo from my parents house and learned I've got a few Brickyard ones and a handful of CART ones from the late 90s. Would rather sell them to a goon than deal with eBay.

might be up for it when I stumble onto more money.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/VolusiaSheriff/status/833520162439573504

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've long lamented Brian's probably going to be filthy rich even if this sinks while unemployment in the areas directly north of Charlotte increases, I just didn't realize Jim and Lesa were too loyal/horribly incompetent or apathetic to fire him as a result of his actions. How many CEOs see their revenue cut in half due in part to the their own actions but get to keep their job? Then again, I see the quote about "Our relationship has never been better as siblings", which becomes typical NASCAR propaganda when it's followed by "when times get tough, they talk through intermediaries". :tif:

It's like having faith in the captains of the ship to somehow steer through the iceberg field only to realize they're aimed straight at the biggest one and going "Come on, we'll just slice it in half! It'll be OK.".

As an IndyCar fan and someone who's loved NASCAR growing up? I do wonder it BZF is worse than TG at this point.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Could run a cup race the week before the 24 or something? That would work for a Daytona Roval race maybe.

I'd rather see an IMSA/WEC double weekend on the IMS RC. If they're going to "Fix" that weekend? it's far better they have Trucks, XFS race at IRP with Silver Crown, Sprints on Thursday, Friday, Saturday Nights. Bring back IROC too. Lord knows that needs to come back.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR's going to go full IndyCar and put way too drat many road courses on the schedule. Naturally, they're going to even screw up the addition of road courses by the fact they're rovals and not free-standing facilities.

(No, Indy, street circuits are road courses. It's not different.)

As someone who's gone every year since 2003, I can't tell if I'd like the Coke Zero 400 to be on the road course at DIS or not. I heavily lean toward no because I love plate racing and because the caution laps in the one IROC race I saw on the road course (2006) were way too long (just run the drat oval under caution). Maybe run an exhibition race on the infield on Thursday if they want to try it this year?

Yeah, any incentive for me to go back to IMS for NASCAR would be aided by a return to IRP.

If someone pitched that weekend to me? I'd find a way to get my rear end to IMS/Indy for a 2nd weekend or so. Because I'd be guaranteed to see some short track fun and a Cup race to cap it all off. (not a GOOD Cup race mind you, but a Cup race none-the-less)

But I have no motivation to go to that track for two subpar races and no real extra fun incentives during the weekend.

The date is also just generally dreadful. End of July during the day is generally miserable in the midwest if you're not by a pool.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

NASCAR is doing bad because its bad.

The races are too long, the gimmicks are too strong, and they sold out any sense of identity in the series to try to attract midwesterners who are unarguably the worst people in america. When you give those dumbshits too much say-so you end up with president trump and dividing races into segments.

Mainstream NASCAR interest was as much a fad of the late 90s as Jncos. That shits not coming back, especially with NASCARs current badness.

I don't think it's midwesterners per say...I think it's idiots in the 'burbs all over the country who they continue to try to lust over because at one time they HAD that Demographic in their pocket. 2001-2008? They had them, and they figured their "Blue collar", Northeast (seriously every other fan I meet online who's a Cup fan is from Jersey or New York) and Southern fans were expendable.

If they had "cared" about getting Midwestern RACE FANS they'd have focus really heavily on St. Louis (Gateway), Indianapolis/Indiana, Iowa (Knoxville) and Wisconsin (Milwaukee...ASA, short track scene, etc). Rather they went full :downs: and tried to hit up places like Chicago, Cincinnati (which is Kentucky) and Kansas City.

I mean Chicago hosts the first race of "the Chase". What the gently caress is that?

It's just how far they have their heads up their own asses. They thought major metro markets would be in love with them, and that's not the case.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mike Joy mentioned Don Lajoie being a modified champ, grandfather of Cory, father of Randy.

Any info on him Vikng? (giving you an excuse to post modified pics)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

Dale Jr. followed me on Twitter today. Dude continues to be cool.

This is awesome and cool.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

This Gordon/Evernham '97 Daytona 500 documentary is awesome. Evernham was a tremendous bullshitter, Chad Knaus as an underling is a bizarre sight, and LIEUTENANT BOOTIE YOU GOT LEGS.

fake edit- Apparently it's not Bootie Barker I'm seeing.

e- "He says there's poo poo all over the fuckin' racetrack. Don't gently caress this race up". -Evernham to the official in his pit after being told they might restart it.

And wow, there's a Dale Jr "Back In The Day" of the race, too.

Yeah that doc was a fun as hell watch.

Watching the clips of BP, Ned and Jenks calling qualifications on ESPN2 just seemed like a completely different sport...and it legit made me sad. Same with seeing Buddy Baker, Ned Jarrett and Ken Squier doing the races on CBS. Also the "Are you going to go my way?" teaser that aired during it, again...man...it's amazing how HUGE of a star Jeff was in the states during 90's and 00's.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/831892006238580736

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Well this seems super loving insane and doesn't help attendance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2017/02/24/daytona-500-tickets-cup-series/98361008/

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Why is fox so loving terrible?

I don't hate the drivers or teams of Cup. They're fine.I'm trying to support them by watching this sport. But good loving night...can you stop kissing NASCAR's corporate rear end, Fox. Sorry to vent..but it's getting old.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I thought they said they were going commercial free?

What in the gently caress, Fox?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cool winner, but man that was a bad race.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja5wdwWMZtc

Bill Burr got to go to Daytona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/markmartin/status/837473522020646912

Mark Martin loving owns.

• Locked thread