Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

The thing about the average NASCAR fan is they lead boring, normal lives while also holding dumb opinions of the sport that they'll gladly share on a whim. Couple this with being an older demographic that doesn't really "get" social media and you have that post.

"Aside from that welcome to Trackforum."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jesus Viking, how many short tracks does New England, New York , and New Jersey HAVE? Just found out about this one (which has sadly closed..) via a clip of the movie "Arthur"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03KitgIrxk

Tell me about this track (Danbury) if you got any info.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

there's nothing else on, but god the XFS is a loving pointless endeavor right now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

Having two dates at any track is dumb and giving another to a cookie cutter is doubling down.

It wasn't horrible pre-1995 or so.

Mainly because Cup stuck with venues in markets where they were well-liked and a decent mix of oval types to boot.

if you lived in North Carolina during that time for example...? You could go to SIX Cup races a year in theory without leaving the state. Not to mention 2 in South Carolina to your south, and 4 in Virginia to your north.

Now? it's just a trash schedule.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Bulldoze all 1.5m triovals that aren't Charlotte and return Atlanta to its true glory

Texas
Las Vegas
Kansas
Kentucky
Chicagoland

All are pretty much pointless footnotes save for hosting IRL races back in the day.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Aside from attending races at Texas and Vegas killing Wheldon I can't tell you a single interesting thing that occurred any of them

I can pollute the thread with IndyCar moments, but i'd rather not.

Cup wise...I'm struggling, sans Dale Jr's first win at TMS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5oGie8sMEo

I seem to recall (when they had only ONE race) some good races at TMS, but since the new gen of cars? not so much.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

The first race at Texas was a wreckfest that ended up with Jeff Burton's first win, which I remember being entertaining.

2001 was a great race but all the inters were great in 2001.

Texas isn't awful in theory....

Seems to be in a decent Cup market (Texas/Arkansas/Oklahoma are in driving distance), has a guy that's willing to do a lot of dumb marketing gimmicks, and it has had a few interesting moments.

it just doesn't need two cup dates.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hot take

You know NASCAR does this "segment" business as a way to spice up the racing...and Darrell Waltrip indirectly kinda nailed it during this telecast:

"You know Saurez was saying how tough his first 5 huntret miler was last week, and this week he's going to have tackle another one"

Why does any race outside of the old "Winston Million"/No Bull 5 need to be 500 loving miles? I mean IMSA doesn't make every one of it's race weekends 24 hours. IndyCar generally only has 3 500 milers at the most. What's the point in making every weekend a 5 hour endurance test?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

Five hours of commercials

that's literally the only reason at this point.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It needs to be Kansas IMO.

How that venue got two loving dates is beyond me.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

They should have used new Hampshire's roval

That roval is awesome and is underused.

love to see IMSA swing up there for it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/841523930431180800

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

400 miles on the road course in stock cars is going to turn it into an endurance race.

my stupid dream is for IMSA/WEC to run a weekend on that drat thing.

That being said...I don't think I've seen a series (OUTSIDE OF INDYCAR) gently caress a golden opprotunity with a weekend like the Brickyard than NASCAR has.

Went from rivaling the Indy 500 (and likely being more popular than it) from 1994 until 2008. Then they found a way to quit running IRP and building up the good will they had created with short track fans there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NOWP7lgIJs

Just trying to lure Viking out of hiding. 'this oughta do the trick.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

yo sascar goons.

any info on this?

https://twitter.com/TheOrangeCone/status/845090610826678272

https://twitter.com/TheOrangeCone/status/845089654038839296

https://twitter.com/DrunkBrianF/status/845091624061427716

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

That is an IMSA GTO car

The Mercury Cougar and the Toyota Celica of that era were truly beautiful cars fwiw...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Good job SRA's truck!

I also think Austin Cindric is fully and capably carrying the torch dropped into a puddle of gasoline this offseason by JWT.

I guess he gave up on ever doing Indy, because man he's not very good at stock cars.

He seems like he'd be better doing PWC, IMSA...would suit his background better.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

You know who else gave up Indy and sucked at stock cars?

Dario

Good ol' Ashley Judd pushed him into that.

He did well in DTM, but in order to make that leap you kinda have to ease your way into the series. You can't just go straight into a stock car after doing years in Formula and road racing. You gotta start with Road Courses and Plate tracks on a limited basis to be honest.

I wonder if running dirt would also help? I don't know, just spit balling here. I know that running super mods helped Donnie Allsion run well at Indy via advice he got from Gordon Johncock. There's gotta be some sort of formula to let road racers run well in stock cars.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

It probably would be remarkably short going the other direction, too. Kurt Busch demonstrated it, and I think Kyle, Jeff Gordon, and maybe Kyle Larson could/could've done it. That's about it.

The sample size we're talking about is very small sadly. We've see Kurt run Indy, yes, but we've never seen him run Long Beach, Iowa or a place like Mid Ohio. THAT would give us a much clearer vision of who can cut it honestly.

The "Indy to stock car" folks seem to have a larger sample size, and we're able to kinda go "Yeah outside of Road Courses and Plate Tracks? It's not worth putting them in a car".

i dont think its exactly controversial to say people whove been good at running stock cars on ovals all their life are going to be better than dudes whove never run stock cars on ovals

ultimately the fact is there probably isnt ten loving drivers in the world that could go rather seemlessly between different styles and be out of the box competitive. thats why generational talents like Tony Stewart were fun to watch.

Montoya is the last sort of guy in that Foyt, Andretti mold that I think could ease into different forms of the sport and be successful.

Robby Gordon also did well, but I consider him more of an off road talent than a guy from a formula background.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

God Edsel Ford is a wanker.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

At least he picked up a handful of wins in both CART and NASCAR, though.

I also keep forgetting Allmendinger was an open wheel-to-NASCAR crossover.

'Dinger has a lot of talent, though as an open wheel fan? I wonder how he'd have done if he'd have stayed pat in CCWS.

Dude won the Barber Dodge, Toyota Atlantics title and finished 3rd with 5 wins in 06 before going to Cup. He was competing, winning against Will Power, Bourdais and Tracy. His :911: contemporaries at the time in Ryan Hunter Reay, Sam Hornish Jr. and Buddy Rice wound up with National Championships and Indianapolis 500 wins.

That being said? To have had the success he's had in stock car racing is still fairly impressive.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

She didn't know that the Honda engines in F1 and IndyCars have nothing to do with each other, misstates that Alonso won't do the rookie orientation program, dismisses Alonso because he hasn't won in the last 3 years without considering the job he's done in the shitbox that's the McLaren-Honda, for starters, and she doesn't see to realize that it was McLaren and Alonso who got in touch with IMS about running at Indy, and not they other way around. She's entitled to her opinion, but basically all of her supporting arguments are factually incorrect.

yeah that's the major problem with the aritcle.

Then she drops the whole "my 13 year old has never heard of him" line. Uh....so? People that actually follow racing have some vague idea of who he is.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Bruton Smith is both the reason for all the lovely cookie cutter tracks and he's the guy who repaved Bristol and ruined it. He's also the one who killed Wilkesboro.

I'll still whine about to this day, but one of the bigger mistakes Cup made was abandoning southern tracks with their own character in favor of cookie cutters in major metropolitan areas.

Short term? It worked. Long Term? It's biting them in the rear end attendance wise.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Currently arguing with a Kyle Busch fan on twitter.

He's claiming he hates Jr. because
-He hated his father
-He hated the fact he got a ride with DEI (implying some sort of nepotism that I think is easily disproven via past interviews and how Sr. was kinda distant to Jr.)
-He hated the fact that Kyle got booted out of a Hendrick ride for him.

Which is funny because he's literally bitching about a (at worst) lateral move. At best? Dude's a number 1 driver for one of the best teams and Toyota's de facto number 1 driver.

Also, Can you guys help me prove the similarities between Kyle and Dale Sr.? He's claiming that Kyle never "wrecked" a car out of a race and that seems patently false.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

just tell the guy Kyle looks like a big ole bird and move on with your life

lol.

How are things btw? I need...possible dirt track advice. I'm 2 hours away from Eldora now...and I need to get off my rear end to go see something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Had CART never split? Gordon could have easily driven F1 for BAR back in the day.

They were trying to get him to drive for a year or two with Kool Green and he didn't want to do that. Can't say I blame him...that ride probably paid peanuts compared to a Cup ride sans the Indy 500 being attached to it. Gordon during his reign was probably the highest earning non-f1 driver of all time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone else watch the GRC race from Memphis?

What a fun rear end track. drat. Why did NASCAR bail on it?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Let's see. Is it a southern, non-1.5 mile tri-oval?

There's your answer.

XFS and Trucks used to have the most fun "Non Cup" venues.

Now it's literally some boring rear end undercard for Cup at a 1.5 mile cookie cutter.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Honestly, you could take my post, swap "southern" with "historic" and you have Milwaukee and every northern track they've abandoned.

Now I made myself sad. :smith:

I like how they've bailed on the Mile despite the fact that ASA, and short track series kinda built a good portion of modern cup racing.

Jimmie Johnson, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace,, Alan Kulwicki, and Matt Kenseth all were making their names around those sort of circuits. But I mean, that's not where race fans come from. No sirree. They come from the suburbs of Chicago and Kansas City :downs:.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

re: The Decline.

As I've said here before, (and this will come as a shock) I was a bigger cup fan than I ever was an Indy fan. I have a lot of fond memories when growing up north? It was kinda mocked as stuff southern Hillbillies watched.

Then the Fox contract came and with it NASCAR seemed to really push hard for the soccer mom/suburb types that were suddenly finding their way into the sport. With that? NASCAR kinda pushed for them extra hard and threw through their traditional fanbase under the bus. It was kind of a "fad" in 2000's america. So you see a move away from traditional venues in areas that had strong support for Cup, in to areas that were seeing temporary peaks in popularity like Kansas, Chicago, etc

I think ultimately what you saw was in 08? That all went away. The economic crisis hit, and the people that had once filled places? no longer had the income nor the interest to subsidize a substandard gimmick laden product. Not to mention that a lot of popular guys like Mark Martin, Dale Sr., Bill Elliot, Rusty Wallace, Terry Labonte and such had all hung it up around that time.

The exact "bubble pop" moment was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZKFc4T-tTY

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Brian France still thinks he's one gimmick away from dethroning the NFL

It's not unfair to say that they were close as hell to actually rivaling the NFL for popularity during their bubble.

The NBA was down in popularity at the time (Kobe rape case, Spurs-Pistons were the top two teams in the league. LeBron wasn't quite a thing). The NHL also gave the finger to several loyal fanbases and locked itself out. MLB was dealing with the steroid controversy.

CART/CCWS and the IRL were still in a pissing match. F1 wasn't going to suddenly become popular over night because of racing at IMS and Scott Speed. So they did in fact have it right in front of them had they left well enough alone.

The problem is..well, they didn't.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

von Manstein posted:

It's almost Talladega Time!

I get this wave of nostalgia and awesomeness from that picture.

gently caress I miss old NASCAR.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Guys you think Kurt Busch will take this one to continue on his march to win the Winston Million?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah can I be honest, I hate change because usually it's "too much, too often", just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. But these look great.

Getting Chicagoland out of the playoffs because no one cares.
Putting Richmond in the playoffs because everyone cares.
And making Indy the last race before the playoffs because history and prestige.

I'm on board with all three of those.

I always thought running the BY in September would be more appealing to attend. It's not as hot, and it just seems like a better time to have that race.

Now if they can just bring back IROC and run XFS, Trucks at IRP we may have an event again worth attending.....

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/markmartin/status/868998898035064832

leaving this to get viking to fill me in on this from a personal standpoint.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

see that grille opening? entrance of the ram air system

the 1980 race is on Youtube, and here is the relevant part:

Link

this is after a late race pit stop puts Balough behind the field. watch when and where he passes people, it's not in the corners

the bodywork was window dressing for a ram air system. while a sort of ground effect became commonplace after this race and it is why todays big blocks look the way they do, that car was all about horsepower

Can it be a synchtube event?

btw. I got to see Foyt's 60's/70's sprint cars take the track at IMS today. Including the one he almost won at Milwaukee in.

That AND Foyt getting the Wood Bros. to loan the "21" car per request to put in the museum and run on track.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mike Joy: "You know Stock car racing has always been a southern sport but here it is being dominated by a guy from New Jersey and a crew chief from Canada..."

Mike. uh....That's not a "new" phenomenon. The short track scene in NY/NY/New England is insane. Literally every other NASCAR fan I've met online has been from those regions.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I kinda like him.

After he survived that wreck at the Firecracker?Gained a lot of my respect.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

it's making people mad so therefor it is good

I just think the media is stupid.

RCR can be happy though. It's their legacy and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Norns posted:

If he didn't act like that in truck and xfinity as well I'd probably be okay with it. Dude throws tantrums constantly.

I don't think he should be fined or banned. But Kyle Bush is cancer in a racecar.

He really is part of the equation as to why I don't bother watching a good portion of XFinity or Truck races.

• Locked thread