Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Brent_Wentz/status/893230914142076928

viking, has this actually happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

Can confirm.

EB gets permanent "You da man" status after bailing out viking.

iospace gets the same after hooking us up with these kick rear end gang tags and being awesome.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Penske running two cars because reasons.

I mean, it's not like he has 5 competent road racers sitting at home this weekend with no scheduling conflicts....

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AveryHage/status/893915238256566272

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Is it wrong I'd take Jimmie #8 over Kyle #2?

I mean, they're both bad, but one's definitely the lesser of two evils.

What frustrates me about JJ's 7 is not that it actually took a way few titles from Jeff in the process

Jeff really should have 7 Cup titles at this point, and JJ should have a respectable 4 or 5. JJ is GREAT! Don't get me wrong, but drat the chase is garbage.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm not a fan of Joe Gibbs.

I do think Toyota is cool though, and the idiots on twitter having meltdowns over them is borderline absurd. Literally calling the Japanese "Evil" is one of the comments.

Hot take? Without Toyota, NASCAR is probably in even worse shape right now. I think they're the only one's really throwing money out their for development and sponsorship. Goddamn what a bunch of morons.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is basically how I am on Kyle and always has been. Every time I start to like him for being a heel and pissing people off, he reminds me that he's actually a pissy crybaby when things don't go his way.

I don't mind assholes, but I definitely don't like rear end in a top hat crybabies.

That and the whole running POINTLESS XFinity races makes me despise him.

I respect him as a driver, but goddamn...if the dude wants a challenge outside of cup? Do sprints, do IMSA, do IndyCar, do Stadium Super Trucks....there are so many options in auto racing.

Divine Styler posted:

That's weird, since Dale Sr. was the most reckless driver in NASCAR history, and people only like his son because of it. Keselowski and KB are the two active cup drivers that drive the most like Sr. did.

I mean it's true. Look at all the Kerry Earnhardt fans that existed when he was driving. Ignore the fact the guy has some actual charm and likability to him. No, no.

Jr. is cool btw. I'm a guy that loves obscure drivers that lastcar would boast about making lists featuring, but I love a guy like Jr. who's pretty much the og. goon driver (played sim games, before it was cool, watches old races).

The sport is gonna have a giant hole in it when he leaves.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Hot take: If Kyle wants to run sprints that's cool but if he doesn't because he risks his full time job getting injured like Smoke or logistics than I think that's OK too.

I'm not getting mad if needs to run the Coke 600 or doesnt race a series where half the races are in loving Australia and the other half are on Cup qualifying or race days.

Yeah Cup is his first priority. It's why the XFinity poo poo is kinda laughable.

If...I dunno, he's running Sebring (which runs on a Saturday)? That's a viable option. If he has to focus on the championship and can't race Indy? Again, no objections to that. Hell I'll go one step further. I'd have ZERO issues if he, and the other cup drivers ran Eldora in Trucks. Why? Because it's a cool venue, it's a cool race and it's a venue cup doesn't go to.

financially racist posted:

i, too, am a huge jimmie johnson fan. glad to finally see another one besides myself and harrison~

this post right here. yep.

JJ is all class, and owns.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Sebring is a Saturday, but so is the qualifying for that weekends cup race

Want to say it was Phoenix?

Yeah I'm just trying to think of the sort of calender a modern day version of Robby Gordon or SuperTex would have been really.

That in itself is very difficult considering how specialized everything is, how series titles matter more than winning individual races, etc. Frankly I think it'd be better if the XFinity series died off and was replaced with Modifieds to be shown on television, but that's my insane take on the matter.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's not possible for me to hate him more than I did Joey "Potential Greatest NASCAR Driver In History According to Shannon Spake Despite Having Run Two Busch Races" Logano and the hype train that surrounded him at the same point in their careers.

I think around 2008 I started noticing praise for him and they were trying to market him as NASCAR's "savior".

I then looked up he was a rich kid from ct* and then just kinda went...uh...okay.

*Hindsight? It's perfectly fine being a rich kid (See Tim Richmond) or from the Northeast (the bodines), but the problem I was seeing on the horizon was a lack of new southern stars from a predominantly southern sport at the time. To an extent? That's improved though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This needs to be the header for the chase thread.

well done.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Can I vent on something?

I've ran into a few fans that despise Dale Jr. for some reason and I've never understood it.

While his fanbase might be annoying, I can say Jr. himself has been very good for the sport overall, and seems to be a "one of us" type of drivers. While I respect the talents of guys like Harvick? He really seems to represent an era of Cup where the drivers were trying to be marketed towards surbubia rather than rural america.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

Welp, sorry, but this makes Harvick look like a dick:

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/20305175/dale-earnhardt-jr-says-kevin-harvick-comments-were-hurtful

Harvick isn't necessarily wrong, but Junyer also has several good points. Maybe if Harvick and Johnson were more likeable, that would have helped.

E: And both Busch brothers. And Matt Kenseth.

I do feel like Jr gave his all to the sport. We may have more data on this in 20 years as far as the concussions go. He's kind of the fifth infielder in a way, a journeyman.
I thought they were friends, and Harvick drove for Jr. I'm guessing they might not be as close after this- I sure wouldn't tolerate something like that from a friend of mine.

JJ is okay. His dominance mixed with cup' s most nauseating Madison avenue soccer moera was not good though.

Great talent though. Great with fans too. I'm actually a fan now.

Harvick, and others just seem to not be as likeable to me. Feels like every other week there's a fight involving those drivers were discussing (sans Johnson).

Kinda done with them. Hell even guys like the Dillons are prefable to the cast of the "Gillette Young Guns"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

I don't even dislike Johnson. For me he's just meh. I get fed up when he wins all the time more than anything.

I also had no idea Harvick was racist.

He's the Scott Dixon of NASCAR. both are other worldly talents and you appreciate seeing that level of greatness but you also like seeing others wim.

SwampYankee posted:

The whole "people should/do only root for the most talented athletes/teams" sentiment that Harvick is using is kinda wrong and dumb anyway. Most sports fans I know root for their home team regardless of whether or not they're winning games and championships, and aren't gonna switch to another team when theirs starts losing.

I think to many fans Jr. was the last stand of pre-jeff Gordon era NASCAR. Even if he himself came well after.

Dale Sr, Rusty and others were out of the sport by the mid 2000s. There was really no one to replace them with in regards to being from the type of culture (read: South, rural) that they hailed from.

The sport needed better balance and until recently? They had yet to accomplish that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

NASCAR will never really have a lot of star personalities like it did in the 70s/80s/90s again because the sport has priced itself out of that.

It thrived when the guys driving the cars were a lot like the guys sitting in the stands watching the races.

Now, the gulf between driver and fan is so loving wide and you almost have to come from money to make it so it's just not the same.

Accurate.

I keep thinking of the top drivers of the 90's. Martin, Gordon, Dale Sr., Wallace, Labonte, Mayfield, Kyle Petty (IN THE BEGINNING OF HIS CAREER), Marlin, Elliott Jarrett, Burton, and the Labonte Brothers.

All of those guys just seemed like they had more of a conncection to the fans of that era and the sport in general. A lot of them were 2nd gen with family that ran during the bootlegging days. To paraphrase from Talladega Nights "They all had a little bit of "cowboy"" in them.

Christ, who didn't LOVE any of those guys? Remember getting excited about buying the Terry Labonte cornflakes car or stuff of that nature.

Let's go to the 2000's....Johnson, Harvick, Busch Bros., Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, Dale Jr., Carl Edwards, Kahne, Kenseth...

I mean GREAT dirvers, but outside of Stewart and Jr? You're not getting the same level of 'cowboy".

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

god loving boston sportsfans should be fed to sharks. WE AINT NO CASUAL FANS HOW DAHR YOU

There's an idot that calls into the local cleveland sports talk stations to pretty much poo poo on every team we have while saying -insert boston team here- is going to win the -insert title here-

This reaction/attitude is puzzling to me because generally when living/visting another city? I generally don't care, or will in fact enjoy watching said citie's teams play. I wouldn't call into WLW and go "DA REDS SUCK! YOU GUYS DON'T GOT PLAYERS LIKE WE DO! WOO! GO TRIBE!". I don't get this. No one is poking back at boston and going "gently caress you. You guys suck. Good luck at winning anything" in any market but New York.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

the New York-Boston rivalry is the greatest rivalry in sports

OSU-UM is solid as hell.

VikingSkull posted:

oh yeah and both of us will unite to talk poo poo about every other market, and rightfully so

I've grown to respect the Yankees organization lately. I don't know why that is. Might help that Steinbrenner was a bad rear end owner, and his grandson is gonna field an indy team in the near future (even camped out at Mid Ohio).

Ugh. Can't believe they found another gem in Aaron Judge though...drat, what a beast.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

As a racing fan?

I do miss the 90's. That's cliched as hell to say, but I really fell in love with NASCAR at that time, and fell out of it by the time the 2nd term of the Bush administration came up.

It was a lot more fun to follow back when it was on TNN, TBS, CBS, ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. It felt kinda "obscure" to everyone I grew up around and kinda thought of as a "hillbilliy" sport. It also felt like venues like "Martinsville", "Daytona" , "Rockingham", "Darlington", "Bristol" felt like a bigger deal at the time.

I think the first time I had a feeling it was going to get too big was...of all things? When Christian Fittipaldi was running races for Petty. It was such a bizarre thing and didn't sit well with me for some reason. It for some reason was beginning to feel more like a "fad" as that sort of thing began to happen more and more.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Exactly the way I feel.

You posted my feelings way more eloquently than I ever could have.

It's weird re: Fittipaldi because my feelings about say, Scott Pruett, Robby Gordon, Tony Stewart, etc were of shrugged shoulders. They all seemed to "fit" the cup scene. (Pruett did Trans Am, IMSA back in the day. Gordon actually did NASCAR first, as well as Trans Am. Stewart had been doing NASCAR as long as he had been doing IndyCar).

But Fittipaldi just seemed like a bizarre cash grab for some reason. I started noticing more glaring shifts from how races were covered, how sponsors were using drivers (Kasey Kahne, All State), venues being hosed with (No more labor day Darlington, the death of rockingham). Hell even the "NEXTEL CUP" felt just...weird. As for Fittipaldi? By 2008 you had guys like Dario, Allmendinger, Villeneuve, Carpentier and Montoya trying to make the field not at Indianapolis, but at Daytona. Some of them in good, sponsored rides too. I just remember shaking my head and wondering why they weren't giving some young guy in the dev. ranks a shot.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bubba needs a cup ride.

bad.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Where's the crowd for mid ohio?

Not trying to be passive aggressive, but it's not like Ohio has a shortage of Cup/NASCAR fans. No "Company" picnics ala Honda I guess?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

rutledge wood

Viking you loving rock.

Do I -need- to post the segment where he's mocking David Pearson for smoking a cigarette in the 70's?

"Yeah so what if the cars were death mobiles and the drivers were lucky if they walked away on any given weekend? LOL DUH CAR IS HOT AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEONE WOULD DO THAT A-HYUCK"

He's a clown.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

its been very contentious in GBS over Trump's remarks after the Charlottesville protests and murder and one dude had his avatar changed like 14 times in an hour

in retrospect I could have phrased that better

I don't care to bring politics right now into this thread but the mood in this country has been incredibly dark and angry lately.

It's also not exactly fun when you log into twitter and seeing that I'm seeing people angry at racing related figures supporting "candidate x" or "position y".

edit: It shouldn't be shocking that people from the south or people with a lot of money support a certain side of the political aisle. I'll leave it at that.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 16, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I have to wonder if we're someday going to find out Kyle or Brad got into a nasty gambling debt or took out a predatory loan they're desperate to pay off, because there's no way "for the love of the game" describes them fighting so hard to keep Cup drivers in the lower series and smoking the field in a Truck race on a Wednesday night at Midnight.

This is horrible but the moment I knew he was running? I didn't even bother tuning in.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/mr4time/status/898031233590059008

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Norns posted:

He's a child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPErFLWht1U

Red= Us

Frank= Kyle Busch

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/JimmieJohnson/status/896884069610512384

Jimmie the GOAT.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biolc6FLVws

Zanardi was doing donuts back in 1997. Not sure when the earliest cup one was.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

daslog posted:

Only in the Goon NASCAR thread do we bash a driver that wants to race whenever he can.

If Kyle was going full Dan Gurney/Mario Andretti/AJ Foyt/Parnelli Jones? I'd be shutting my mouth.

"Oh he's running Daytona, LeMans, Indianapolis, AND Knoxville? loving awesome!".

But the fact of the matter is here's what he does

-Runs XFS, Trux when they're at the same track
-Doesn't run those events when they're at places like Eldora, Road America and such.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

my crazy belief?

Save for "Speed Weeks"? I'd not have XFinity or Trucks race at a Cup track on a Cup weekend period.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/KGonYT/status/898379544528375813

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

You really could have "Saved"/"Avoided" this poo poo had they kept Trux/XFS as an excuse to run venues that Cup doesn't go to.

Notice how Kyle doesn't run Road America, MoSport, and such?

As it stands? I think both are just an exercise in futility at this point. Maybe taking the old dog out back and putting it down is the best thing right now. Hell NASCAR used to use "modifieds" as the defacto Busch Series...maybe it's time they go that route again or something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

If Trucks wants to run only small tracks, it needs to go into dramatic ARCA cost cutting mode to make it work. Which would probably kill it all together, unless it turns into a series whose customers are actually just the rich kids dads (like Lights) or rich gentleman drivers (like GTD/PWC).

I think like you kinda implied earlier? We're kinda on the verge of seeing it die off as a whole.

I mean NASCAR has tried it's hand at series like a "converible" series and even an IndyCar series. Both really ended up going away as a whole.

It feels like ARCA, K&N, Whelen Modifieds would be able to pick up the slack as well at this point.

e: Hell a lot of NASCAR talent now comes from USAC, WOO. Add them to the mix.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 19, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Who won the first races at Montreal and Road America?

Kevin Harvick and Carl Edwards.

E- I also remember Kyle Busch moving Brad Keselowski out of the way unsuccessfully to try to win a race at Iowa in like 2009. Plus, remember Gateway 2010?

My point is different venues would be fun, but have private jet, sponsorship obligation, and desire, will race lower series. Making drivers ineligible for lower series points was what stopped them from going to non-companion races.

In theory I have no problem with that if...the venue is in a market Cup doesn't have a presence in or at an International venue. (Bring back Montreal, Mexico City)

But I'm really at the end of my rope with the existance of these series in a lot of ways. I hope this isn't take as a "HURR NASCAR SUCKS" post. I like Cup fine. I just think I'd much rather see Whelen, K&N and ARCA take the wheel in terms of TV time, sponsorship and being development series.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Gonna drop a hot take here.

Kyle Busch fans just seem to be the last grasp of the "treating my driver like an NFL team" mindset that I saw pop up during the 90's and 2000's.

That's not even cool in a Tifosi way. It's dumb.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

dude I have literally seen groups of fans rumble at a dirt track before

racing fans as a rule are dumb as gently caress

Yeah I'm just frustrated.

How are you doing man? In a new GBS thread?

When are you gonna show up in the discord chat?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I'm doing alright since the crackdown, lol dudes got wrecked because they don't know how to be funny and/or when to stop

I never really cared for Discord but maybe I'll hop in IRC next week

You should show up on discord man.

I wonder if iospace, pnut or kidc could set up a dirt channel for you?

I'm currently in a pissing match in cspam..man things suck right now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the thing separating Kyle and DW is that Kyle doesn't seem to have a sense of humor about himself, or anything at all

I like his brother more for some reason.

I'm fully aware of what his brother did fwiw.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I know they are loving dumb

DW in the early 80's wasn't the silly guy we all know now, he was a total poo poo talker and half the time he was grumpy as hell

he changed once Stevie got him to stop drinking and be all religious

Stevie really seems like a good person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Doesn't one of the Unsers know all the Albuquerque cops by name?

Little Al

My favorite driver ever...yeah

• Locked thread