Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

angry_keebler posted:

i just like the idea of cool teens on the internet who are looking to buy in to a subscription web forum, but ONLY if it's using a slightly newer software backend

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I will only join a forum written in a functional language

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

lets fork the forms

ill start the shared google doc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
LEARN YOURSELF SOME ERLANG ELIXIR FOR MAKE GREAT JUSTICE!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
for my first functional language programming project, i will make a forum. and this will be easy and only take a couple weeks. because its a functional paradigm you see. its pure and i just have to describe the intended end state. computer *bleep yes captain* make forum

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
rip

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

does anyone have that system diagram from years of all the hardware the forums and archives were running on? pretty sure this actually exists and i'm not just hallucinating it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i voted this thread 5 because nothing makes me laugh harder than forum rewrites. we're on number two now, third times a charm!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

pram posted:

LEARN YOURSELF SOME ERLANG ELIXIR FOR MAKE GREAT JUSTICE!!

Features:

* Everything is an expression [17]

hmmm yes, finally

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

does anyone have that system diagram from years of all the hardware the forums and archives were running on? pretty sure this actually exists and i'm not just hallucinating it.

I remember radium posting it. There was also once a picture of a van full of servers when the forums migrated from New Orleans after Katrina.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

nah its some new guy doing it in elixir and he basically handwaved away everyone's questions about how he was going to stick to a schedule when he isn't doing it in public and no one can hold him accountable. and now he's 10xd himself past his own deadline.

quote:

doing it in elixir

What. the. gently caress.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

I remember radium posting it. There was also once a picture of a van full of servers when the forums migrated from New Orleans after Katrina.

love 2 keep my critical electronics infrastructure in a swamp below sea level

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jre posted:

What. the. gently caress.

in retrospect I can't believe that this is anything other than a troll. they got us good, well played richard

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Skim Milk posted:

shared google doc

new forum backend already sounding robust

Dislike button posted:

its where youre posts belong

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Elixer? I hardly know her!

Seriously, what is this... coffeescript for erlang? lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

Elixer? I hardly know her!

Seriously, what is this... coffeescript for erlang? lol

no, because it doesn't compile to erlang the language, it targets the erlang VM. (I have a feeling I'm slightly wrong about this but that's more or less the idea).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

no, because it doesn't compile to erlang the language, it targets the erlang VM. (I have a feeling I'm slightly wrong about this but that's more or less the idea).

i meant more in the sense of "erlang, but for people who would rather be writing ruby"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's a bad language for people that want to write a forum that nobody will ever be able to maintain.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

i meant more in the sense of "erlang, but for people who would rather be writing ruby"

I mean that's probably fair. the syntax is rubyesque, but it doesn't /have the insanity of ruby. it has some flaws but it's way way better than ruby and coffee script because at its core it's a sane language.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

it's a bad language for people that want to write a forum that nobody will ever be able to maintain.

yeah it's a fine choice if you have a dedicated team of people but it's really bad if you're in a situation where you're hiring only contractors to work on your thing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The original idea was just to buy xenforo to get something that was actively maintained. That would have been a much more sane choice.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

what does the buddy list do

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I mean that's probably fair. the syntax is rubyesque, but it doesn't /have the insanity of ruby. it has some flaws but it's way way better than ruby and coffee script because at its core it's a sane language.

i like it more than erlang just because of the pipe operator

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

what does the buddy list do

lets you know when your buddies are online

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

lets you know when your buddies are online

:jackbud:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

always found elixir a bit puzzling since while the erlang syntax is slightly esoteric it is not esoteric in any way that makes it more difficult to work with. you'll have to learn a new language anyway, ending function declarations with a period will not in fact be the biggest thing you'll have to get used to

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

still p. surprising to be i 2017 and sort of have to conclude that erlang made it. not a huge thing, but popular enough in serious enough circumstances that it is a platform you don't have to be too weary to build something of value on

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wizardnetic Vermin posted:

still p. surprising to be i 2017 and sort of have to conclude that erlang made it. not a huge thing, but popular enough in serious enough circumstances that it is a platform you don't have to be too weary to build something of value on

half the reason erlang seems that way is because most of the unserious hipster dabblers went from ruby to node and then golang

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dislike button posted:

yeah lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

elixir is just a bunch of hardcore ruby apologists

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

triple sulk posted:

elixir is just a bunch of hardcore ruby apologists

you're just pissed because a brazilian firm stole your job once

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

id like a firm job from some brazilians iykwim :heysexy:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

The original idea was just to buy xenforo to get something that was actively maintained. That would have been a much more sane choice.

haha lol

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

shaggarHasArrived.jif

Just start a new ASP.NET MVC solution in Visual Studio, Richard.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

shaggarHasArrived.jif

Just start a new ASP.NET MVC solution in Visual Studio, Richard.

and spend half your time fighting with entity framework

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

akadajet posted:

better than 100% of your time wasted, producing nothing

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

the ghostbusters were really good about dealing with entities, lowtax should hire them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ef is so loving bad. asp.net rules tho.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
dont see why a forums is so hard to code

like we had this poo poo worked out 30 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001