Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
what would cynbe ru taren do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Radium gets a massive amount of poo poo however at the end of the day he built the forums that people still pay money to post on because it has the best look and feel on the internet, thanks in large part to him. Parts may be hacked and duct taped together but it has no real effect on the users.

The search is poo poo, but it turns out that's not a feature people really care about on a poo poo talking humor forum.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

wide stance posted:

Radium gets a massive amount of poo poo however at the end of the day he built the forums that people still pay money to post on because it has the best look and feel on the internet, thanks in large part to him. Parts may be hacked and duct taped together but it has no real effect on the users.

The search is poo poo, but it turns out that's not a feature people really care about on a poo poo talking humor forum.

you come in from the cat thread or something?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

wide stance posted:

changing the copyright date at the bottom of the page broken the forums

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wide stance posted:

So Radium does still post here :allears:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SmokaDustbowl posted:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i too will write a replacement forum, how hard can it be?
its just a few tables, i could knock that up in asp.net and ef in a week, brb

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

SmokaDustbowl posted:

look what the cat thread dragged in

George
Nov 27, 2004

wide stance posted:

people are definitely paying ten dollarinos for sa because of the crisp, buttery smooth performance of radium's work

like if you look at other forum's theyr full of people saying cya later, i only post on bespoke radiums

just get a radium, is the common advice for forum visionaries who want to attract all the best posters

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

No he came in a computer.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if someone can't factor a lovely codebase then why are they even in the industry

i mean we've heard about the sprawling functions.php file, am I really supposed to believe that it's impossible to sort that out with modern vc tools

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
do you think he realized that this guy is going to take 2 years to deliver a barely functional forum and once he does he's just going to avoid him for months anytime he's asked for changes, just like radium did? like, this is literally team barry deux as far as i can tell.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

if someone can't factor a lovely codebase then why are they even in the industry

i mean we've heard about the sprawling functions.php file, am I really supposed to believe that it's impossible to sort that out with modern vc tools

once you use the php refactoring tool "rm" you might as well not reimplement the same poo poo in php

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

once you use the php refactoring tool "rm" you might as well not reimplement the same poo poo in php

lol

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

a website of this caliber demands only the finest in bespoke software. nothing here can be done using mere "off the shelf" solutions, it all must be painstakingly crafted from the highest quality, hand-selected bits and bytes.

George
Nov 27, 2004

wide stance posted:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
same goes for all of lowtax's !important hacks in the stylesheets btw, rewriting the forums in mathematica or whatever does absolutely nothing to address that. it can only be fixed through a brute-force resolution of the rules currently in effect

here too vc comes into play because if you have a thousand rules to resolve you better have a way to resolve a few at a time and keep track of the work

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 6, 2017

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
has lowtax ever made the code for the forums accessible so people can evaluate how bad it is

i mean i dont' doubt it's bad but...

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Hammerite posted:

has lowtax ever made the code for the forums accessible so people can evaluate how bad it is

you don't want to see it it's like the ark of the covenant except it will make you rapidly gain weight and social awkwardness when you see it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
loving clean break is the only solution

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Hammerite posted:

there's still plenty of jelsoft code so it can't just be published, but many examples were posted in QCS and thye left no doubt as to radium's sociopathic tendencies

one thing that was mentioned: certain columns in the database contain integers divided into bit fields that control various features, and sometimes one bit position is assigned to represent a logical combination of conditions represented by other bits in the same column

radium was, at least in the later years, the sort of coder who works entirely in the moment, as if the project (and software engineering in general) has no past worth understanding, nor future worth planning for. because apparently he wasn't a coder in the first place, more of an administration/ops guy who gained coder cred by hacking in some caches to reduce the server load

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

there's still plenty of jelsoft code so it can't just be published, but many examples were posted in QCS and thye left no doubt as to radium's sociopathic tendencies

one thing that was mentioned: certain columns in the database contain integers divided into bit fields that control various features, and sometimes one bit position is assigned to represent a logical combination of conditions represented by other bits in the same column

radium was, at least in the later years, the sort of coder who works entirely in the moment, as if the project (and software engineering in general) has no past worth understanding, nor future worth planning for. because apparently he wasn't a coder in the first place, more of an administration/ops guy who gained coder cred by hacking in some caches to reduce the server load

they weren't ints, they were actual strings of 1s and 0s that he was simply calling bitfields.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
:aaa:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so i wonder if he had the position meanings documented somewhere (which would be totally uncharacteristic) or they had to be reverse engineered

also whether there was a utility function somewhere to extract bit positions or he just used string primitives each time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gazpacho posted:

so i wonder if he had the position meanings documented somewhere (which would be totally uncharacteristic) or they had to be reverse engineered

also whether there was a utility function somewhere to extract bit positions or he just used string primitives each time

my money is on fetching every row and using a regular expression on the results

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no one wants to believe it, but the "clean break" is just another iteration of the thinking that created the situation in the first place

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
the only clean break that will fix sa is cleanly breaking lowtaxs neck

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I'm sorry that was a little too dark

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm sure lowtax has a succession plan in place in case he wraps his gtr around a pole and the forums are secure

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

look what the cat thread dragged in

emoji posted:

No he came in a computer.

:chome:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i heard the forums db is just one table with one column called freetext

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Looks like they stopped posting in late December so I'd guess not well, OP:

Dr. Hans Klangwerk posted:

I'm extremely busy at the moment but again, progress has been made and though three months was unfortunately not accurate because of the reasons I mentioned before, plans have not changed.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Gazpacho posted:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

they weren't ints, they were actual strings of 1s and 0s that he was simply calling bitfields.

thats terrible and stupid but hardly unfixable

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gazpacho posted:

wow

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

like that's impressive in how sophisticated you can make something while simultaneously missing the point of it entirely

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My inside sources say it's going well

• Locked thread