Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

you do not want to know what goes into web-facing mumps, let me tell you.
i do now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

try sanitizing inputs when this is your only method for parsing strings: http://docs.intersystems.com/latest/csp/docbook/DocBook.UI.Page.cls?KEY=GCOS_operators#GCOS_operators_pattern

note that only the "?" operator is in the ANSI standard so the other methods they mention can't be used if you want your code to be portable. i have seen a pattern that fills 3 screens that attempts to detect whether the input is executable mumps code.

and you have to do this validation in mumps, obviously, because you can't trust client validation wasn't hosed with.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MUMPS is killing US veterans and this article is aiding and abetting!![edit]
Goddamnit, this article is written POV, probably by some clowns who know only MUMPS and are desparately afraid that their stinking, rotten, filthy little jobs, delaying care to military veterans with their goddamn outdated technology, might be lost. Men and women are returning burned and blasted to poo poo and sit and rot in hallways for "paperwork" to catch up with them.

Where does this paperwork come from? Why is it late?

This article DOES make it clear where it comes from and why it is late. A bunch of contemptible little programmers who care only about their cozy comfortable jobs actually believe the ABSURD claims in this article.

I've removed one such claim: it was logically contradictory, and the person, probably a MUMPS hotshot, who posted it didn't see the logical contradiction because he or she is STUPID. It literally claimed that "structured programming" reduces development time AND that it makes programs difficult to debug.

Hey, Ace. Hey Hot Dog, what the HELL do you think you're claiming?! That you're done developing when you stop typing the code?

My uncle, a personal physician of Lyndon Johnson, is probably DEAD because of MUMPS. He died alone in a military hospital at the age of 78 because Job One in an organization with dysfunctional-dogshit computer systems is the fascinating "intellectual challenge" that paperwork presents, which health "care" bureaucrats seem today to prefer to looking after men and women who've served their country.

As I have posted, last month the OIG of the Veterans Administration has reported serious problems of the type that emerge from clownish data systems celebrated by buffoons for their wonderful GoTo statements, their fascinating limits on string length, and overall, their replacement of transparency by an opacity, that allows data processing bureaucrats, most of whom with serious addictions, usually to food, to sit on their fat asses "thinking" about stupid things.

The article violates wikipedia NPOV and it needs to be rewritten from top to bottom. NPOV is NOT NOT NOT agreement with the local boys who colonize an article. MUMPS is a dysfunctional system: this is FACT.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

MUMPS is killing US veterans and this article is aiding and abetting!![edit]
Goddamnit, this article is written POV, probably by some clowns who know only MUMPS and are desparately afraid that their stinking, rotten, filthy little jobs, delaying care to military veterans with their goddamn outdated technology, might be lost. Men and women are returning burned and blasted to poo poo and sit and rot in hallways for "paperwork" to catch up with them.

Where does this paperwork come from? Why is it late?

This article DOES make it clear where it comes from and why it is late. A bunch of contemptible little programmers who care only about their cozy comfortable jobs actually believe the ABSURD claims in this article.

I've removed one such claim: it was logically contradictory, and the person, probably a MUMPS hotshot, who posted it didn't see the logical contradiction because he or she is STUPID. It literally claimed that "structured programming" reduces development time AND that it makes programs difficult to debug.

Hey, Ace. Hey Hot Dog, what the HELL do you think you're claiming?! That you're done developing when you stop typing the code?

My uncle, a personal physician of Lyndon Johnson, is probably DEAD because of MUMPS. He died alone in a military hospital at the age of 78 because Job One in an organization with dysfunctional-dogshit computer systems is the fascinating "intellectual challenge" that paperwork presents, which health "care" bureaucrats seem today to prefer to looking after men and women who've served their country.

As I have posted, last month the OIG of the Veterans Administration has reported serious problems of the type that emerge from clownish data systems celebrated by buffoons for their wonderful GoTo statements, their fascinating limits on string length, and overall, their replacement of transparency by an opacity, that allows data processing bureaucrats, most of whom with serious addictions, usually to food, to sit on their fat asses "thinking" about stupid things.

The article violates wikipedia NPOV and it needs to be rewritten from top to bottom. NPOV is NOT NOT NOT agreement with the local boys who colonize an article. MUMPS is a dysfunctional system: this is FACT.

lol, where is this from? the VA's emr is called VISTA and is written in MUMPS. you are legally entitled to download your own copy of its source code. it's terrible. we bid for the VA's new scheduling system and got it but it hasn't been rolled out yet. but thanks to that one dailyWTF article or whatever people all think mumps is the name of the actual medical software rather than a language some terrible software is implemented in.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol, where is this from?

the wikipedia talk page on mumps

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

akadajet posted:

the wikipedia talk page on mumps

lmbo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lol, where is this from? the VA's emr is called VISTA and is written in MUMPS. you are legally entitled to download your own copy of its source code. it's terrible. we bid for the VA's new scheduling system and got it but it hasn't been rolled out yet. but thanks to that one dailyWTF article or whatever people all think mumps is the name of the actual medical software rather than a language some terrible software is implemented in.
ok the system is terrible but how would you compare it to other MUMPS-based systems

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

ok the system is terrible but how would you compare it to other MUMPS-based systems

well, the products i know of that use MUMPS are these, ordered from least bad to most bad

• epic
  • cerner millenium
  • meditech (an even crazier dialect of MUMPS called MAGIC)
  • intersystems' bespoke system whose name changes every 6 months
  • pretty sure 3m's emr that they're killing runs on mumps
  • VISTA
  • crazy in-house developed poo poo running on hospital mainframes from the 60s.

most of these products are bad, but none of them are dangerously bad the way VISTA is. ive supported all of them in the past and most of the badness in the others is outdated ui paradigms, obtuse workflows, etc. VISTA straight up kills people. last i checked it barely attempts to look for medication interactions, its scheduling is basically just a FIFO queue, etc.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
a good programmer can write elegant, easy-to-read code in any language

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

George posted:

a good programmer can write elegant, easy-to-read code in any language

quote:

Mumps syntax will be discussed in detail below but it is important at this time to point out that Mumps code may not contain embedded blanks except withing quoted strings. In Mumps, a blank is a delimiter.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

what does this mean? whitespace is syntactic in mumps. single spaces separate statements, double spaces or newlines separate expressions. so you can't just have random extra whitespaces between identifiers or something, but if he's just complaining that he can't write something like "func( arg 1 , arg 2, arg 3)" i don't know what he's on about.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

what does this mean? whitespace is syntactic in mumps. single spaces separate statements, double spaces or newlines separate expressions. so you can't just have random extra whitespaces between identifiers or something, but if he's just complaining that he can't write something like "func( arg 1 , arg 2, arg 3)" i don't know what he's on about.

to clarify the difference between single and double spaces

code:
; this is a vanilla for loop. there's a single space between the for because the control statement 
; is an argument to the for expression and the do is its second argument indicating to 
; execute the nested scope defined by the "."-prefixed lines as the loop body
for i=1:1:10 do
. w "On Iteration "_i

; this is a for loop iterating over subscripts of a b-tree. there's a double space between the for and the set
; because the set is its own expression and the assignment statement sub=$o(...) is the argument to set.
; for loops execute everything on the line they're on until a quit condition is hit.
for  set sub=$o(btree(sub)) quit:sub="" do
. w "Looking at subscript "_sub
it's like that because the first mumps interpreter was extremely primitive (it was running in native assembly on a 60s mainframe, remember) so using spaces to define certain syntactical units makes the parsing much easier. yeah, it's different from most modern languages, but i don't think that's inherently bad.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lol you're gone

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

what does this mean? whitespace is syntactic in mumps. single spaces separate statements, double spaces or newlines separate expressions.

:prepop:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

lol you're gone

is it any worse than python having syntactic indentation? it's a weird design choice but also understandable given the origins of the language and it certainly doesn't force you to write bad code.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

is it any worse than python having syntactic indentation? it's a weird design choice but also understandable given the origins of the language and it certainly doesn't force you to write bad code.

newlines terminating a statement, and indentation showing the structure of code, is much more natural than making the difference between a single space and two spaces in a row significant. indentation shapes the code in a way that's easy to appreciate, minor variations in spacing within a line of code aren't a natural thing for the eye to look for. it's the difference between helping the reader out and laying traps for them

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

i have seen a pattern that fills 3 screens that attempts to detect whether the input is executable mumps code

whyyyy would you ever want to detect this

I know the answer will be bad

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

qntm posted:

I would love to peek at the codebase, I like a challenge

according to those who've seen it, its a challenge in a jigsawesque "nail gun ur nuts to this wood block and drag it to the pressure sensor to release the door but then room fills with bees" way

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qntm posted:

whyyyy would you ever want to detect this

I know the answer will be bad

to prevent code injection attacks. same reason you'd want to detect javascript or sql in your inputs, except the only kind of code a mumps server can execute is mumps so that's all you need to sanitize for on the server side. mumps has two equivalents of eval() and obviously you need to confirm your input isn't malicious before you use those.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

yes because with python any half decent editor can reformat your code automatically to sort out any syntactic indentation confusion or errors, whereas in MUMPS this would probably break your code in a million different ways

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

vodkat posted:

yes because with python any half decent editor can reformat your code automatically to sort out any syntactic indentation confusion or errors, whereas in MUMPS this would probably break your code in a million different ways

there are two actively maintained mumps ides that will fix your syntax for you. and, like i said, it's a design decision driven by the needs of a 1960s mainframe. remember that it was revolutionary that c had a compiler that could self-host. mumps was written in pdp-7 assembly.

im literally not trying to argue it's the best or even a good way to do things. just that it doesn't force you to write terrible code and most of the things people blame on mumps are really bad developers and lazy vendors.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I'll rewrite the forums

first order of business: putting the forums on the block chain

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

My Linux Rig posted:

I'll rewrite the forums

replace toxx clauses with smart contracts

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

My Linux Rig posted:

I'll rewrite the forums

can I cash in my dead beef's for new av?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mooooooooods

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

always found elixir a bit puzzling since while the erlang syntax is slightly esoteric it is not esoteric in any way that makes it more difficult to work with. you'll have to learn a new language anyway, ending function declarations with a period will not in fact be the biggest thing you'll have to get used to

lisp flavored erlang superiority

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
If you're doing a web thing and you aren't using asp.net you're nuts.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

people all think mumps is the name of the actual medical software rather than a language some terrible software is implemented in.

it's a terrible language that terrible software is implemented in

like, it postdates structured programming, but eschews it

that's p terrible

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

there are two actively maintained mumps ides that will fix your syntax for you. and, like i said, it's a design decision driven by the needs of a 1960s mainframe. remember that it was revolutionary that c had a compiler that could self-host. mumps was written in pdp-7 assembly.

im literally not trying to argue it's the best or even a good way to do things. just that it doesn't force you to write terrible code and most of the things people blame on mumps are really bad developers and lazy vendors.

by your own explanation about whitespace, MUMPS p much does apparently require you to write terrible code, because otherwise it'll gently caress up

the 60s had Algol and PL/I and BLISS and BCPL and even loving MacLisp (not just toy Lisp 1.5, but full-featured can-do-real-world-poo poo MacLisp); C self-hosting wasn't a big deal to the people who had experience with languages like those because they were self-hosting too

MUMPS exists because some special snowflake wanted to reinvent the wheel as part of developing an EMR system, probably because they thought it'd be more fun that way than just implementing a regular data processing system

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
at the time MUMPS was created (1966) "structured programming" was barely a subject of discussion in academic journals and certainly not adopted by any industry players

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

try sanitizing inputs when this is your only method for parsing strings: http://docs.intersystems.com/latest/csp/docbook/DocBook.UI.Page.cls?KEY=GCOS_operators#GCOS_operators_pattern

note that only the "?" operator is in the ANSI standard so the other methods they mention can't be used if you want your code to be portable. i have seen a pattern that fills 3 screens that attempts to detect whether the input is executable mumps code.

and you have to do this validation in mumps, obviously, because you can't trust client validation wasn't hosed with.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I typed all of those no's individually

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
?1"no"16" no" would have saved you typing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

at the time MUMPS was created (1966) "structured programming" was barely a subject of discussion in academic journals and certainly not adopted by any industry players

mumps was bad even by 1966 standards

structured programming, as we know it, came out of the late-50s algol efforts. it was most definitely a topic of academic discussion. maybe you should search for "algol" instead of "structured programming"

fortran IV, an actual sane programming language, was sold as a commercial product in 1961. it wasn't algol, but it was algol-like, and usable by most programmers with minimal training.

in summary, this is a lame defense and you are lame for posing it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

If you're doing a web thing and you aren't using asp.net you're nuts.

which of the top 100 most visited websites run on asp.net?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

hmm maybe i was wrong and the elixir rewrite is a good idea after all

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
counterpoint:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sweevo posted:

we scared chef fatwood back to snack overflow because nobody liked his six course idea

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
its clear that we all agree a brand new language will be required to code something as forward-thinking and revolutionary as this forums upgrade

before we get started i'de like to open the floor to discussion about what kind of license we'll be releasing the compiler and native programming environment under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i love my dead gay vbulletin

• Locked thread