Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah i don't want to see the forums source code anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LinYutang posted:

Worst case you end up with another Radium-esque situation where the one person who can untangle the bespoke functional forums code quits and it ends up accumulating debt + security vulnerabilities
Except this time it doesn't have the benefit of vbulletin's nominal engineering

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Have I mentioned that "starting over" was a bad idea? Because it is, and people who say otherwise are wrong

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol no

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don't worry, I'm sure one dude is going to do a great job engineering and designing for scalability and reliability while working for free with the only spec being "do what this already does but better somehow also don't change anything" and coding in a random wankery language no one understands while the owner /project manager doesn't know anything about managing software projects and there's zero QA. there is no way this can fail.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
second system effect.doc but for clowns

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The Management posted:

don't worry, I'm sure one dude is going to do a great job engineering and designing for scalability and reliability while working for free with the only spec being "do what this already does but better somehow also don't change anything" and coding in a random wankery language no one understands while the owner /project manager doesn't know anything about managing software projects and there's zero QA. there is no way this can fail.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
once the internet hears that a hallowed institution like sa needs a new backbone im certain that all kinds of skilled console cowboys will be dying to show lowtax their pseudocode

like who wouldn't want to work for free to put a high-prestige project like this on their resumé

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Uncle Enzo posted:

was there a good reason given as why the forum's rewrite wasn't publicly hosted on github or similar? people could help maybe. understand why the old code can't be distributed due to some being proprietary, but getting a copyright agreement and licensing from new contributors should be straightforward?

because lowtax wants someone to actually write it, not 5000 people doing concept art or starting the wiki

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sweevo posted:

because lowtax wants someone to actually write it, not 5000 people doing concept art or starting the wiki

except that we literally have hundreds of people who have the spare time and interest

i suspect the actual reason it's being done in secret is that lowtax and his boy wonder are ashamed of what yospos/fyad/shsc would bitch about

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there's no point in open sores because nobody is going to contribute anything in elixir

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except that we literally have hundreds of people who have the spare time and interest

i suspect the actual reason it's being done in secret is that lowtax and his boy wonder are ashamed of what yospos/fyad/shsc would bitch about

we have a winner, an open sores forums would probably the first, and only, successful goon project.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we said the same thing about zybourne clock

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why is fyad on that list

imo we should have a backup forum setup on something like funny.computer for when the end times come

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

FamDav posted:

why is fyad on that list

imo we should have a backup forum setup on something like funny.computer for when the end times come

imagine the day, the desperate survivors who made it out in time before the forums apocalypse gather in syncirc trying to assess the damage, our visionary post apocalyptic leader smythe grabs the digital conch shell and tells us all of the new promised land called funny.computer, a dozen nerds post "i'll start the wiki" in unison

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

we said the same thing about zybourne clock

making a video game is just a lil' different from making GBS threads out another forums turd

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
i wouldn't have anything to contribute and almost no one else would either. no one looks at source code other than people who, for whatever hosed-up reason, actually care about code. that's a blessing at least. plus it would ensure a history of commits that a follow-up writer or maintainer could use to figure out what needs to be done.

maybe this is all moot and actually lowtax has all dev work being committed to a server somewhere he controls and the only difference is visibility. hate to see anyone's work get lost

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lowtax wasnt able to get the karma system and door games unemcumbered from closed source licenses

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Uncle Enzo posted:

maybe this is all moot and actually lowtax has all dev work being committed to a server somewhere he controls and the only difference is visibility. hate to see anyone's work get lost

it's written in elixir, so the work was "lost" from the very beginning

in five years no one will know how to read a toy language meant for a dead VM

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
once the rewrite is complete and source code is released enterprising goons will port it to whatever language is the new hotness in 2025

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

big scary monsters posted:

once the rewrite is complete and source code is released enterprising goons will port it to whatever language is the new hotness in 2025

it'll be written in rare, artisanal peeps

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the only way to do it right is to create a new language just for this project

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
here, ive started a mumps based back end api for the forums. ive tried to keep the flavor of the original code where possible

code:
getPostsGlobalName() q $na(^poo poo)

;NOTE: Update this whenever forum names are changed!
getForumID(forumName) q $s(forumName="YOSPOS":219,forumName="GBS":1) ;and so on

;NOTE: list must be dotted reference
getThreadList(forumID,list) n curThread,posts
 s posts=$$getPostsGlobalName()
 f  s curThread=$o(@posts@(forumID,curThread)) q:curThread="" d
 . s list(curThread)=@posts@(forumID,curThread,"NAME")
 q

;NOTE: postLIst must be dotted reference
getPostsFromThread(forumID,threadID,postList) n curPost,posts
 f  s curPost=$o(@posts@(forumID,threadID,curPost) q:curPost="" d
 . m postList=@posts@(forumID,threadID,curPost)

postInThread(forumID,threadID,text,user,timestamp) n postID,posts
 s postID=$o(@posts@(forumID,threadID,postID),-1)+1
 s @posts@(forumID,threadID,postID,"text")=text
 s @posts@(forumID,threadID,postID,"user")=user
 s @posts@(forumID,threadID,postID,"timestamp")=timestamp
 q
i have now written a more complete forums than elixir guy

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

why the gently caress wouldn't lowtax just use xenforo? surely it'd be cheaper and more sensible to pay someone to write plugins for whatever bespoke functionality needs to be carried over

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
never underestimate a "magic beans" sales pitch

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

FamDav posted:

i do own secretinternet.club, lovely.tech, reallybad.website, eternally.online among others

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

skull mask mcgee posted:

why the gently caress wouldn't lowtax just use xenforo? surely it'd be cheaper and more sensible to pay someone to write plugins for whatever bespoke functionality needs to be carried over

Seriously just do this and archive the current forum. New place will be filled with shitposts in a day. Stop wasting money on coders that will quit halfway through the job.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

skull mask mcgee posted:

highlighted the problem area. some idiot promised to write a new forum for free and solve every migration problem, which sounds much better than paying money for something that works and then paying someone else more money to do stupid things you think it should do.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

highlighted the problem area. some idiot promised to write a new forum for free and solve every migration problem, which sounds much better than paying money for something that works and then paying someone else more money to do stupid things you think it should do.

no he's paying the guy.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

no he's paying the guy.

:ughh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

what did you think the fundraiser was all about? he has wild dreams of this guy writing him the next great forums software that he can then sell to other forums such as

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we don't know that elixer dude ever stopped.

we do know that he stopped posting about his rewrite tho.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
he's probably not even in stage 3 yet (all the work while crying)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

what did you think the fundraiser was all about? he has wild dreams of this guy writing him the next great forums software that he can then sell to other forums such as

I assumed hosting the development server, but I didn't really look into it. richard, don't

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I thought stage 3 was bargaining

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

this except deadline was 8 years ago.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Alternately I thought you might mean that the new forums were going to require gentoo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
behead those who insult gentoo :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Silver Alicorn posted:

behead those who install gentoo :black101:

• Locked thread