Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

always found elixir a bit puzzling since while the erlang syntax is slightly esoteric it is not esoteric in any way that makes it more difficult to work with. you'll have to learn a new language anyway, ending function declarations with a period will not in fact be the biggest thing you'll have to get used to

lisp flavored erlang superiority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

people all think mumps is the name of the actual medical software rather than a language some terrible software is implemented in.

it's a terrible language that terrible software is implemented in

like, it postdates structured programming, but eschews it

that's p terrible

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

there are two actively maintained mumps ides that will fix your syntax for you. and, like i said, it's a design decision driven by the needs of a 1960s mainframe. remember that it was revolutionary that c had a compiler that could self-host. mumps was written in pdp-7 assembly.

im literally not trying to argue it's the best or even a good way to do things. just that it doesn't force you to write terrible code and most of the things people blame on mumps are really bad developers and lazy vendors.

by your own explanation about whitespace, MUMPS p much does apparently require you to write terrible code, because otherwise it'll gently caress up

the 60s had Algol and PL/I and BLISS and BCPL and even loving MacLisp (not just toy Lisp 1.5, but full-featured can-do-real-world-poo poo MacLisp); C self-hosting wasn't a big deal to the people who had experience with languages like those because they were self-hosting too

MUMPS exists because some special snowflake wanted to reinvent the wheel as part of developing an EMR system, probably because they thought it'd be more fun that way than just implementing a regular data processing system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

long as I can still use awful.app rather than visit some web site

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

AWWNAW posted:

oh we should start over in lisp

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

has anyone considered this newfangled “microservices” thing I keep hearing about from Thought Leaders?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pram posted:

it was going to be compatible with every formatting syntax known to man because of the sheer power of functional programming

well yeah, when each post is a monoid in the category of endofunctors it's easy to describe pretty much arbitrary preserving transformations across the posting brane

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Toady posted:

there's a working group doing its best to modernize it. today's irc is full of tags and other hacks, and there have been exploits that took advantage of broken parsers. the working group wanted to implement a json-based wire format so developers could use common parsing libraries and add new features more easily, but lovely nerds from hacker news and reddit who never wrote more than a trivia bot invaded the github issue to complain that their "simple" protocol was changing to something trendy and ended up shelving the effort

they're not wrong that switching to "a json-based wire format" would be changing to something trendy

I wish the IETF had decreed Access Protocol to be the basis for all new protocols, as it was intended to be, since it distilled out the common functionality from IMAP, ICAP, ACAP, and so on, being both easy to safely parse and easy to extend

I tried to push for it as the basis for IETF's instant messaging proposal but that whole effort turned into a complete shitshow because some people (telecom people) insisted everything had to be UDP since mobile phones would never support anything but small lossy packets and certainly not TCP connections, so whole additional layers of abstraction were proposed, and other people (the trend wankers of the day) insisted that everything had to be XML-based because XML was the next big thing, so all we really got out of it was BEEP and the only thing to ever really use that for anything real was Apple's Xgrid distributed computing system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

but I heard the mods there don't like some words, like censorship is bad, man, they're just words, and besides it's all just ironic and meant in good fun, am I right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

my goth gf posted:

my fetish is comment threads that indent endlessly until each line of each reply contains a single word, then, eventually a single character

on a 4k screen :kheldragar:

a threaded message forum like Reddit should really have a trn-style interface for navigating around threads

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

well, either ntp is hard or we're approaching the event horizon

or we're approaching the esr ntp event horizon

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CommunistPancake posted:

likes, upvotes, ratings, whatever are bad news imo.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Linguica posted:

The SA forums are a fossil and totally out of touch with today's internet. Also any remotely modern feature used on any other wildly popular social media site is bad.

congratulations on achieving correct yosthought

would that we were all so lucky

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

the forums rewrite is going goon-in-a-well

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

nice meltdowns

meltsdown

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

our own yospos patreon should have more patrons

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

people don't seem to understand that their wages will increase as minimum wage does

not necessarily, to reflect the increase in minimum wage in its prices, McDonald's would need to raise the price of a Big Mac by something like just five cents

"minimum wage increase implies all wages inflate" is just a right-wing bogeyman: for most businesses, the cost of labor isn't the limiting factor in their products' or services' costs, but the averge business owner will be damned before they cut into their profit margin even the tiniest bit if it's to benefit labor

(if it's to kill competition, though, they'll gladly sacrifice all the margin they possibly can and then some!)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

people who do something critical to life, like making food or fixing toilets, are far more valuable to society than anyone who just pushes numbers around all day no matter HOW big the numbers are

now I need to reread The Shockwave Rider

John Brunner is good but depressing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

A huge part of SA's appeal over the last decade over, say, Reddit or Twitter, has been that this is the place where bigots and harassers don't get to run wild and shout down marginalised folk, and Lowtax showing that he instinctively sides with them over his website's actual userbase sucks

a-loving-men

that's one of the reasons I registered back when I did, people complain about "the days of PC GBS" and poo poo but I actually preferred this place with Abe & Ozma's GBS, where people were banned slurs as well as for poor spelling and grammar, with its megathreads about mocking people who wanted to build libertarian sea utopias and multi-donged robot dragon volcano bases

I almost ditched this place when the GBS 2.0 thing happened, the only reason I stuck around was YOSPOS

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

but we were told it was production quality just half done

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doom Mathematic posted:

I kind of thought Atom was just another name for RSS.

Atom is what happened when a bunch of people who actually knew what they were doing set about to fix all the the half-assed hacks Dave Winer piled onto Netscape's RSS prototyping and then declared done

like when the dumbfuck Winer declared everything in RSS must be ASCII and that its date formats should be obvious

he's always had serious problems with being insufficiently precise, not to mention his complete inability to take feedback without flying off the handle and deciding the person giving feedback is an Enemy who wants him to Fail, and also with taking credit for other peoples' work (i.e. classic NPD symptoms)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

except for yospos

rule 36 bicth

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

mike12345 posted:

someone just copy the forums structure and make a patreon. alternatively, change "general bullshit" to "total bullshit", "YOSPOS" to "YOSPIS" so the taxman can't sue.

don't you want your very own letter from Leonard J Crabbs Esq though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

he posts once in a while but the whole elixer thing got dropped when it was obvious he wasn't going to be allowed to be radium 3.0

who was it, since the "I'm the new forums dude" account was a cover for them?

• Locked thread