Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
is this a paid coder or someone doing it for spaceships? i know choochocockles was paid but i had the impression it's been volunteers since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
has lowtax ever made the code for the forums accessible so people can evaluate how bad it is

i mean i dont' doubt it's bad but...

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Gazpacho posted:

there's still plenty of jelsoft code so it can't just be published, but many examples were posted in QCS and thye left no doubt as to radium's sociopathic tendencies

one thing that was mentioned: certain columns in the database contain integers divided into bit fields that control various features, and sometimes one bit position is assigned to represent a logical combination of conditions represented by other bits in the same column

radium was, at least in the later years, the sort of coder who works entirely in the moment, as if the project (and software engineering in general) has no past worth understanding, nor future worth planning for. because apparently he wasn't a coder in the first place, more of an administration/ops guy who gained coder cred by hacking in some caches to reduce the server load

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

they weren't ints, they were actual strings of 1s and 0s that he was simply calling bitfields.

thats terrible and stupid but hardly unfixable

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Sweevo posted:

and yet bitfields aren't used in places they would actually make sense - like keeping track of who has platinum or archives. buying platinum moves your entire account from the normal group to a separate platinum group. users with both platinum and archives are a totally separate group to users who have one but not the other. this is also why you lose the upgrades when you get banned - because your account is moved to the banned group and it doesn't record whether it was previously in the normal, archive, platinum, or archive+platinum group.

ok but where are my trees smart guy

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I guess as long as Lowtax has ownership of the code this time around he can share it and people can offer to improve it, which is a plus if the Jelsoft license stops him doing that right now. even if it does end up being another pile of crap

although doing it in a language only half a dozen people in the world know about lol

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

what does this mean? whitespace is syntactic in mumps. single spaces separate statements, double spaces or newlines separate expressions.

:prepop:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

is it any worse than python having syntactic indentation? it's a weird design choice but also understandable given the origins of the language and it certainly doesn't force you to write bad code.

newlines terminating a statement, and indentation showing the structure of code, is much more natural than making the difference between a single space and two spaces in a row significant. indentation shapes the code in a way that's easy to appreciate, minor variations in spacing within a line of code aren't a natural thing for the eye to look for. it's the difference between helping the reader out and laying traps for them

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
rather get actual mumps lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Shaggar posted:

the good ones

ah, none of them. good to know

• Locked thread