Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
was there a good reason given as why the forum's rewrite wasn't publicly hosted on github or similar? people could help maybe. understand why the old code can't be distributed due to some being proprietary, but getting a copyright agreement and licensing from new contributors should be straightforward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

i wouldn't have anything to contribute and almost no one else would either. no one looks at source code other than people who, for whatever hosed-up reason, actually care about code. that's a blessing at least. plus it would ensure a history of commits that a follow-up writer or maintainer could use to figure out what needs to be done.

maybe this is all moot and actually lowtax has all dev work being committed to a server somewhere he controls and the only difference is visibility. hate to see anyone's work get lost

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

emoji posted:

I use SAclopædia to goatsæ people without repercussions.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

looked for a comment section to post the permabanned forums user niggerstomper58 quote. there will never be a better time

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

doctors aren't real scientists. reminder that they stole the white lab coat from science in order to try and boost their reputation (before like the 30s they wore dark colors so the blood wouldn't show)

people that deserve the respect accorded to scientists:

-scientists (physical and life sciences)

people who are most assuredly Not Scientists and whose opinions on anything 1 millimeter outside their daily job duties are almost invariably useless:

-doctors
-lawyers
-engineers
-police (no, your "professional opinion" about crime rates is useless)
-polling administrators
-social media trends analysts
-marketers
-TED talk-givers
-anyone not carefully quantifying the margin of uncertainty in their work and also freely admitting and pointing out any areas where they were forced to make assumptions, as well as justifications for every single assumption they made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

pram posted:

you forgot economists in the first list tia for fixing it

poo poo i knew there was a group of science-imposters I'd forgotten

• Locked thread