Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the whole thing was a prank. there is no new forum, there are no spaceship drawings, there probably isn't even a real lowtax anymore (rip)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Plorkyeran posted:

i for one have the utmost confidence that the rewrite is going swimmingly and any day now we'll suddenly find ourselves using the complete and perfect rewrite

you're actually using it now and you don't even know it. it was that seamless

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I will only join a forum written in a functional language

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jre posted:

What. the. gently caress.

in retrospect I can't believe that this is anything other than a troll. they got us good, well played richard

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's a bad language for people that want to write a forum that nobody will ever be able to maintain.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
loving clean break is the only solution

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gazpacho posted:

so i wonder if he had the position meanings documented somewhere (which would be totally uncharacteristic) or they had to be reverse engineered

also whether there was a utility function somewhere to extract bit positions or he just used string primitives each time

my money is on fetching every row and using a regular expression on the results

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm sure lowtax has a succession plan in place in case he wraps his gtr around a pole and the forums are secure

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
plz jef save this dead gay forum, you're our only hope.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

elixir is not the issue by a mile either, that is just tech people bikeshedding

this isn't bikeshedding. choosing a language that nobody uses is a legitimate maintenance issue. when the original developer gets a girlfriend and stops working in it, hiring someone new that knows the language and is willing to put up with lowtax and goons is going to be nearly impossible.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sounds like the forum rewrite is going better than expected. I look forward to using it!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
how has lowtax not learned to code and mastered the code base he owns for the last 18 years?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gazpacho posted:

contrary to rumor one does not learn good practices by studying bad ones

besides its his main cash cow which I'm sure has tended to limit the risks he's willing to take

in 15 years he could have gone to college for software development, joined a company and been employed as a software developer, grown as a developer learning best practices, been promoted to a senior engineer, and then written a new forum from scratch in his spare time.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don't worry, I'm sure one dude is going to do a great job engineering and designing for scalability and reliability while working for free with the only spec being "do what this already does but better somehow also don't change anything" and coding in a random wankery language no one understands while the owner /project manager doesn't know anything about managing software projects and there's zero QA. there is no way this can fail.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
second system effect.doc but for clowns

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there's no point in open sores because nobody is going to contribute anything in elixir

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the only way to do it right is to create a new language just for this project

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

skull mask mcgee posted:

why the gently caress wouldn't lowtax just use xenforo? surely it'd be cheaper and more sensible to pay someone to write plugins for whatever bespoke functionality needs to be carried over

highlighted the problem area. some idiot promised to write a new forum for free and solve every migration problem, which sounds much better than paying money for something that works and then paying someone else more money to do stupid things you think it should do.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

no he's paying the guy.

:ughh:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

what did you think the fundraiser was all about? he has wild dreams of this guy writing him the next great forums software that he can then sell to other forums such as

I assumed hosting the development server, but I didn't really look into it. richard, don't

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

this except deadline was 8 years ago.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
literally the best thing that could have happened.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

nope. awful.app or bust.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

this is so much more funny in light of

cis autodrag posted:

no he's paying the guy.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
radium'd again

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hifi posted:

avatars probably but my understanding is pms and search use significantly more resources than something not bolted on to 2001 era vbulletin

a yes, PMs, storing and retrieving text is very resource intensive. so much so that every free forum on the internet offers it, but special flower SA can't do it.

I understand monetization and I'm fine with paying for PMs, but pretending like it's something difficult is either an admission of gross incompetence or a straight up lie.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

rear end posted:

Yeah but why not seamlessly migrate in order to include already existing threads and the archives? It'd be a smoother experience for everyone.

you know that you can just export the threads from the current database and import them into the new one in a batch job, right?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LinYutang posted:

hopefully xenforo has crazy rear end features like paginating the private message list so it doesn't crash the forums by loading+templating all of a user's messages

a feature that would take any competent web developer literally minutes to implement.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CrazyLittle posted:

you're more than welcome to volunteer

lmao. I don't do free work for other people's businesses.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
first we have to agree on a tab style

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

another successful goon proujekect

lmao. the last 10% of a project takes 90% of the effort. this guy did the easy stuff and then bailed out.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
did we establish whether lowtax actually paid this guy?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm confused about why migrating posts is such a big deal. write a script to query the posts, transform the tags in them, dump them into a transaction file in the sql format of the new forum, and do a batch insert when done. writing the script takes effort, obviously, but it's hardly insurmountable.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's because archives cost money, isn't it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people seriously underestimate how much work and cost it is to write and maintain software. giving a big wad of cash to a third party is often a much better solution.

my estimate is that a complete, from scratch forum solution will run you around a million dollars and take a year to complete. and then you need to pay for someone that knows how to maintain it and keep it secure and backed up.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jabor posted:

so like, 4-6 developers + support staff?

i guess that might get you to v1 in a year, if you're lucky

front end developer, back end developer, database/cache developer, and a sysadmin, all full time. 4 people for a year will burn through a million easily. I'm no expert in web projects so I am probably naively underestimating.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people who store bitfields in databases are spergs that are disturbed by the idea of "wasting" bytes and have a fundamental misunderstanding of databases. database fields should be stored in a way the RDBMS can sort, filter, order, and update on them. bitfields are the opposite of this. and if the DB is going to build an index on the field, which it should if you're selecting on it, it's already going to use much more than a byte per row. bitfields also can't have rational triggers and can't be updated without read-modify-write.

so if you see someone storing bitfields in a database, piss in their coffee

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CrazyLittle posted:

iirc it's a combination of archived post syntax being scattered across lots of incremental changes, so a straight import would result in a ton of unreadable garbage

mlyp

seems like something that could be incrementally fixed and wouldn't block a migration.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

OWLS! posted:

xenforo is when the lead dev of vbulletin has a hissy fit and does it RIGHT THIS TIME DAMMIT.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mishaq posted:

confluence good

negative. bitbucket is also bad

• Locked thread