Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
hey reddit's code is open source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

eric posted:

No one would leave and the new place would be filled with threads in days.

Yeah but why not seamlessly migrate in order to include already existing threads and the archives? It'd be a smoother experience for everyone.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

SO DEMANDING posted:

who knows. lowtax has seemingly always been of the thought that SA is way too much of a special-snowflake for ANYTHING off the shelf, regardless of what is task needs to be accomplished. why was he working on having a custom kickstarter thing instead of just, oh i don't know, using kickstarter or gofundme or whatever other crowdfunding/fundraising sites out there?

I think it's because kickstarter takes 10% of the money or whatever.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

hifi posted:

irc getting reinvented with value added features like voice chat and built in memes is whats pissed me off the most about the 2010s so far

Technology evolves. Discord is objectively better than IRC in every way. I don't see why that pisses you off lol.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

poty posted:

i like sa keep up the good work guys

There really is no other website that has the same unique feel as SA. It's weird. A bajillion knockoffs and offsites were made but none were able to replicate its charm.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Gazpacho posted:

make a list so we can laugh at it

Discord has the wrong kind of RAM.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

A Pinball Wizard posted:

like reddit is lovely in a lot of ways, but whining about karma is dumb when we permaban anyone who voted for the loser every election and complaining about their lovely admins is dumb when our founder is whining on twitter about how the thought police won't let him say trannies are crazy for chopping off their dicks

Is that happening?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

cis autodrag posted:

its a $100000 car yet lowtax constantly bitches about how he's too broke to run the forums anymore

You seem really upset, my friend. Have a popsicle.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I'm pretty sure he bought the car many years ago before he became broke anyway.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Sweevo posted:

because instead of fixing anything lowtax spent a decade going "lol these forums are bad isn't that funny", and then wondered why everything was still broken

It's funny how it happened with this post.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Sweevo posted:

when did the office close? i want to say 2010 because i think that's when he gave away loads of unsold SA march to anyone who came to collect it

2013-2014 I think? I remember Lowtax making a thread about shutting down the office during the GBS rebirth.

I also remember that he said the first person to come to his office would get some unsold merch and one guy showed up like 6 hours later. That's when the photo of him sleeping on a couch was taken too I believe.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Lol I just edited my previous post and it showed the "just hosed with this post at x time" immediately. I edited it again and it disappeared.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

pram posted:

the wife he had the mcmansion/daughter with was #3 i think? his current one is #4

There was Integral (I think they got engaged but not married?), and there was Megan, and now his current wife.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
[LF] New Posting Gimmick

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

akadajet posted:

for the forums being so dead you all post a lot

The Trump thread in C-SPAM gets a new page like every minute.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Syncopated posted:

i'm lucky the taxman stopped reading the forum threads in yospos or else i'd already be dead

Reported.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

emoji posted:

The current search is garbage and can't pick up partial words/urls.

My favorite thing about the current search is how it doesn't index every other post someone makes.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
There we go.

https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Sagebrush posted:

get a real job, lowtax

Lowtax is a cool dude but as far as I'm concerned he has zero qualifications to do anything other than a McJob.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/867750778068500481

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

SmokaDustbowl posted:

my next rereg will probably be my last lol

I like giving the forums money but it's pretty much legit dead now

People have been saying these forums were dead for like 4 years now. They'll keep chugging along.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

pram posted:

autobanning is bitchmade poo poo

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
To be fair I do recall Lowtax once saying the GBS rebirth of Halloween 2013 was never his idea and he never liked it.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809329&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post469363969

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

El Mero Mero posted:

I think we just need some more mentally ill posters to turn this place around.

There's never a shortage.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

El Mero Mero posted:

Actually I will say that SA still tends to have better quality content posting and information than most other forums if only because I very rarely feel like I have to play blade runner on the posts. Reddit/quora/facebook/twitter all have insane problems with sales bots. I'm fairly certain that most of the idiots here are 100% organic.

Nobody's gonna pay $10 to set up a bot account. That's the beauty of it.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Lmao noob can't even use bbcode right.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Lowtax posted:

The update is that I'm still waiting for Xenforo 2.0 to be released here: https://xenforo.com/. But feel free to criticize me for not somehow making it release sooner, or thinking that it would be a swell idea to spend downtime transferring to 1.5.13 and then having to spend more downtime upgrading to 2.0 when it's released, which would cause even more of you to bitch at me and say what I'm an idiot I am.

It's great because when I'm hands-on and moderate here, people bitch at me and tell me I'm doing everything wrong. So I stop moderating and go hands-off, then people bitch at me for being absent. No matter what I do or don't do, it's the wrong thing, so you'll have to excuse me for not posting regular updates saying "Xenforo 2.0 has not yet been released," and you'll have to accept the idea that when it is released and the migration begins, I will let you know. I'm not exactly sure what some of you expect of me regarding reporting when there's nothing to report because I have no information regarding the release date of a third party piece of software that I'm waiting on, but continue to make snarky comments about what an idiot scam artist I am and also wonder why I don't actively post here anymore.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I mean, he has a point.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
No, the other point, which is the fact you're all whiny bitchy babies.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

A Pinball Wizard posted:

its the only good sub left

"good"

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc