Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

okay why the gently caress is lowtax worrying about all the archived posts? lol if you read threads, :justpost: and the library of congress will pick up the slack anyway

burn it all and start afresh. it'll make you feel young, as when the world was new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

front end developer, back end developer, database/cache developer, and a sysadmin, all full time. 4 people for a year will burn through a million easily. I'm no expert in web projects so I am probably naively underestimating.

please let me know where the $250,000/yr jobs are doing front-end development for a discussion forum

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bitwise math is very cool and good when you're working in a resource constrained system like a microcontroller, but not being a database guy I don't know if it makes any significant difference on big servers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

also in the event that you actually did want to store a bitmask or something, binary is what you want to store it in, not a loving int.

lol if you distinguish between types like that instead of seeing everything as a field of bits and dereferencing everywhere

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in college i had to take a "media arts programming" class (or something like that) where you had to do a variety of different projects on different topics, with your choice of programming language and platform

one week the topic was "databases and data storage" and i didn't know poo poo all about real dbs so i made a two-axis "robot arm" out of some servomotors glued together, tapped the potentiometers, hooked it up to an arduino, and wrote some code to let you program a motion by swinging the arm around and recording the pot values, then play that motion back on the servos. like how those fancy industrial robots are programmed by having a human do the motions with the arm and then the robot mimics it.

i had 512 bytes of EEPROM so i could store up to a 5-second motion path. i got an A on the project.

to this day that's the extent of my "database" experience

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: no that's not quite right, i did do a little bit of mysql to implement a word filter on a project where people were able to text in phrases that would be projected on a public wall. amazingly the filter stood up for almost 14 hours before people figured out how to sneak stuff past it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last week I followed for a while on the highway a motorcyclist wearing a leather jacket with a gigantic troll face on the back. His turn signal was stuck on and he was splitting between traffic at 90 miles an hour.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it bugs me when a chat program hijacks my _underlines_ or -hyphens- or *asterisks* and replaces them with bold/italic/strikethrough/whatever rich text. i want the drat asterisks, that's why i put them there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

boy I'm going to miss this place when the migration kills it and leaves a half-dozen "classic forum" spin off splinter groups who war amongst themselves in a race to the bottom that ends in someone creating a reddit subforum to scoop up the last of the shitposters.

i think the migration already happened. all the 30somethings who bought an account back in the day and still post here are probably in it for the long haul

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

syscall girl posted:

i'm just here for the dadgum rompa LPs

i thought gangnam roomba was over. they're still doing it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ya i just wanted to say my personal favorite epithet for it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sereri posted:

it will be radioactive

radioactive?

radioactive?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can't they just write a script that like

10 > loads first thread in archive
20 > goes to first page
30 > goes to first post
40 > clicks "quote" button on this post
50 > gets the returned form content
60 > adds to a database with the quoted userid
70 > moves to next post
80 > goto 40

with 63 million posts and doing that like, say, i dunno, 25 times a second they could be done in less than a month. 25hz is probably super slow estimate too but i don't wanna put tooooo much strain on the web server, we know how that goes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Management posted:

richard publish the schema populated with like one thread and the associated users

yeah no kidding. if he'd post a dump of one small representative segment of the db I bet someone in here or shsc would have a parser written by that evening

and a table-dropping exploit by the next morning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

perhaps it is for us to discover the thread states which were conceived of, but never implemented.

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof of the existence of alternate thread states which this post is too small to contain.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like the low-fi nature of IRC but slack is a better experience by far.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't read discussions that aren't presented chronologically and flat. SA's choice to limit quoting (by default) to a single level was inspired. The Reddit/Twitter style of repeatedly indenting replies to deeper and deeper levels feels like a "great idea" invented by some idiotic programmer who's read more code than English

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the only important parts of the forum imo are the reg fee, the probation/ban system, the smilies, and the goldmine.

no one reads archives and the rap sheet is cute but pointless -- it's not like mods have to prove precedent to ban or whatever. dump them and everything else not mentioned above and forget about it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vodkat posted:

how many genuinely new posters do you think SA gets a year?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

i would love to read that but it takes seven years to scroll

yeah every vice site scrolls like frozen poo poo. hmm i wonder what could be going on there, i wonder if they --

:shepicide:

how do you gently caress up like this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AWWNAW posted:

posting on a dead forum in a thread about dead forum in a geek squad sub forum

I'm all this but also worst poster in the thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

sometimes I wonder what I'll do to read about nerd poo poo when the forums go down

like, i like micro controllers. i can talk with people wayyyyyy smarter than me here. yet, i can ask a dumb question, and get a human response.

I mean, even the loving arduino forums have tons of threads where some newbie wanders in and is like "how do i do [x]" (when they really should be doing [y], but they're too new to know it yet).

and the first reply they get is some terse "do [z]"
or a series of obtuse responses or humorless nerds. Its different for some reason here, and IDK, i think its because this is a """"comedy"""" forum [and this the stupid computer subforum[ and not a forum specifically about one topic and issues around it. it makes things a lot more interesting and conversational.

the worst part is when this all goes kaput, i've never been really super-involved in the inner stuff, i just lurk mostly and so i'm never gonna know where y'all went.

if/when the forums go away i will genuinely miss Cycle Asylum, DIY, and the idiot spare time projects/oscilloscope threads here in yospos. there are a few other electronics forums that are okay (EEVBlog and PJRC are alright) but most are just as you described, while general DIY or machining forums are a crapfest of ancient know-it-all grognards and illiterate morons, and just forget about any other motorcycle community online being even remotely positive.

also i think it would be great if GBS was just erased entirely and not replaced. remember when people were banned for not being on-topic? there's a subforum now for basically every topic you might want to discuss, and each subforum usually also has a general chat thread where the people that topic appeals to hang out and chat. anything that doesn't fit at least marginally in one of the other forums (and i say keep FYAD and BYOB) isn't worth having.

SA *could* be a great community but yeaaaaah, GBS as the front page is not doing it.

oh, and on that subject, make the front page just that feature that highlights good threads and posts from the last week or so.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 1, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ars technica and hack-a-day have some of the worst commenters in existence

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Lol at replacing GBS with pyf like that's an improvement, just fuckin lol

pyf is exactly what the average internet user wants tho

there's a thread for cute animal pictures

a thread for mocking stupid people

a thread for memes

a thread for the crazy thing your aunt just said on facebook!

like ten different threads for posting the thing you just bought/played/watched/ate/hosed/etc

it's exactly what people want

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

reddit sucks because the format is litterrally unreadable.

has anyone made a reader/parser that takes a reddit thread and organizes it like a forum? rearrange all the posts into chronological order and make replies into single-level quote blocks like we do here?

that would make the site tremendously more readable. it wouldn't make the discussions any better, but at least it'd be possible to follow what's going on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fyad's current title is probably turning away potential new registrations

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is there something i'm not getting about that image?

like it's an expensive sports car parked in front of the something awful "office" and it's also got ice on it. is it lowtax's? what's the joke

well, i can't argue with that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

redleader posted:

how would he even get a job at this point? what sort of place could possibly use his skills?

skills?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LinYutang posted:

How is the infrastructure for the forums so hosed that the server clocks are managing to get out of sync

yeah i've been noticing some real long 10-second post lockouts and real short 1-minute ninja edit timers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Yea from the pictures of the outside it's this. Must have been a shameful lawyer imo

Better Pick Rick

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Suspicious posted:

didn't lowtax say he wanted an office to run away from his wife's bible study group? something like that

this was wife 1.0 right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rear end posted:

There was Integral (I think they got engaged but not married?), and there was Megan, and now his current wife.

imagine if lowtax Megan was the same Megan as XKCD Megan :eyepop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well SOME of us have a buncha banned alts going back to the early years

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's trivial to get banned if you wanted, even without posting a banme

the real pro strat is to get yourself banned for something that makes the other posters debate it or call it unfair. back in the day, some of the old guard, they used to get ban reasons that'd really make you think

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

Starting strong with version number "0.2", so everyone knows to stay away.

"artanis" is also the name of a starcraft character that they in turn ripped off from the silmarillion soooooooo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

bring back blue stripe logs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's now been about a month since the xenforo "update" that is still stickied

when that update was new i posited that the database migration lowtax is upset about could be done in about 30 days by a dumb page-load scraper script, and that was a conservative estimate

i wonder how far along he is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

power botton posted:

remember when the nice! button glorified a serial rapist

well hey now tbf it was only like two years between him being unequivocally publicly outed as a serial rapist and when they removed him from the glorifying button and script that makes his face pop up at random intervals

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

redleader posted:

how the gently caress did this pass any sort of review

doctors aren't real scientists. reminder that they stole the white lab coat from science in order to try and boost their reputation (before like the 30s they wore dark colors so the blood wouldn't show)

i will never forget a night when my dad was reading one of his doctor magazines and threw it down in disgust and i asked why and he pointed at an article. the article was a meta-review of physicians' self-reported happiness/job satisfaction scores, plotted against their pay and the number of hours worked.

it turned out that the happiest doctors were the ones who worked the least and were paid the most!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

akadajet posted:

she's now an award winning trump voting attention seeker who doesn't look as good as she thinks she does lol

at least 5 years before she came out/transitioned, family guy made a joke that bruce jenner was not a man, but "a beautiful east german woman"

makes u think

• Locked thread