Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

Elixer? I hardly know her!

Seriously, what is this... coffeescript for erlang? lol

no, because it doesn't compile to erlang the language, it targets the erlang VM. (I have a feeling I'm slightly wrong about this but that's more or less the idea).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

i meant more in the sense of "erlang, but for people who would rather be writing ruby"

I mean that's probably fair. the syntax is rubyesque, but it doesn't /have the insanity of ruby. it has some flaws but it's way way better than ruby and coffee script because at its core it's a sane language.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

it's a bad language for people that want to write a forum that nobody will ever be able to maintain.

yeah it's a fine choice if you have a dedicated team of people but it's really bad if you're in a situation where you're hiring only contractors to work on your thing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you come in from the cat thread or something?

look what the cat thread dragged in

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

try sanitizing inputs when this is your only method for parsing strings: http://docs.intersystems.com/latest/csp/docbook/DocBook.UI.Page.cls?KEY=GCOS_operators#GCOS_operators_pattern

note that only the "?" operator is in the ANSI standard so the other methods they mention can't be used if you want your code to be portable. i have seen a pattern that fills 3 screens that attempts to detect whether the input is executable mumps code.

and you have to do this validation in mumps, obviously, because you can't trust client validation wasn't hosed with.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I typed all of those no's individually

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
jira and confluence have been a massive improvement over what i used at my last job: rally and phabricator

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh yeah and we used mojo as a wiki (poo poo) and servicenow for tickets

and irc for chat
\

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
more than i've ever accomplished

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
we're getting close to having people who have been posting here for 20 years

20 years

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Stymie posted:

i've never understood the clamoring for a mobile version of sa because i cannot fathom having the desire to post when you're out in the world using your phone, let alone home near a computer anyway

toilet posting

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

redleader posted:

these dead gay forums are dying because we're all old now, and no one wants to join a weird forum filled with olds and their in-jokes from 5+ years ago

that being said i hope these forums continue to limp on indefinitely, since i like them and have nothing better to occupy my time with

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

SmokaDustbowl posted:

why isn't the cat thread in that byob subforum like every other one

it was grandpawthered in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo