Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i don't think jef fatwood is banned, we just scared him off with our unrelenting hostility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

at the time MUMPS was created (1966) "structured programming" was barely a subject of discussion in academic journals and certainly not adopted by any industry players

mumps was bad even by 1966 standards

structured programming, as we know it, came out of the late-50s algol efforts. it was most definitely a topic of academic discussion. maybe you should search for "algol" instead of "structured programming"

fortran IV, an actual sane programming language, was sold as a commercial product in 1961. it wasn't algol, but it was algol-like, and usable by most programmers with minimal training.

in summary, this is a lame defense and you are lame for posing it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbf the sensible way to do a rewrite if one is to do one would be to create a component which handles actual posting and rendering of thread pages off of some sensible database + queries to the old one, while keeping the entirety of the old forum rolling with, from its perspective, zero posts in all threads

so much weird junk in these forums which there is no reason to really mess with

this presumes anyone understands the current query pattern / database

lotta fuckin things working against you on that one

string bitfields
(probably) no foreign keys, given the age of the jelsoft product
mysql 4 ported to mysql 5
mystery meat everywhere

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sweevo posted:

because lowtax wants someone to actually write it, not 5000 people doing concept art or starting the wiki

except that we literally have hundreds of people who have the spare time and interest

i suspect the actual reason it's being done in secret is that lowtax and his boy wonder are ashamed of what yospos/fyad/shsc would bitch about

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

we said the same thing about zybourne clock

making a video game is just a lil' different from making GBS threads out another forums turd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Uncle Enzo posted:

maybe this is all moot and actually lowtax has all dev work being committed to a server somewhere he controls and the only difference is visibility. hate to see anyone's work get lost

it's written in elixir, so the work was "lost" from the very beginning

in five years no one will know how to read a toy language meant for a dead VM

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I understand monetization and I'm fine with paying for PMs, but pretending like it's something difficult is either an admission of gross incompetence or a straight up lie.

yep, it's one of those

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jre posted:

You forgot the best bit, in a hipster language about 3 people on earth know. :roflolmao:

:agreed:

exilir is worse than any vendor lock in

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

fair

both oracle and microsoft are very bad tho

microsoft licensing is bad like being in line at the dmv

oracle licensing is bad like being waterboarded repeatedly across a number of days of sleep deprivation, all the while hoping your wife and kids made it through customs without you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

the migration already happened. none of us was invited to the new forum, whose location is a secret.

all the funny people moved to twitter

most of the rest migrated to :filez:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

can't they just write a script that like

10 > loads first thread in archive
20 > goes to first page
30 > goes to first post
40 > clicks "quote" button on this post
50 > gets the returned form content
60 > adds to a database with the quoted userid
70 > moves to next post
80 > goto 40

with 63 million posts and doing that like, say, i dunno, 25 times a second they could be done in less than a month. 25hz is probably super slow estimate too but i don't wanna put tooooo much strain on the web server, we know how that goes

something like this might be exactly what xenforo proposes

it's not like they do this for a living or anything..

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I went to see norm MacDonald live last month and he started out with jokes about how homophobes are closet gays, which is old hat but he delivered it well, then segued into 20 min of "Caitlyn jenner cut her dick off" jokes. I couldn't even tell if the rest of his set was funny because I was just out of the mood. Audience loved it all of course :shrug:

caitlyn jenner is terrible hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you have time to post about the minimum wage on twitter, paying $17 for a hamburger is probably no great burden

in norway it costs about $40 to get a pizza delivered. norwegians can afford it. it's fine.

• Locked thread