Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if someone can't factor a lovely codebase then why are they even in the industry

i mean we've heard about the sprawling functions.php file, am I really supposed to believe that it's impossible to sort that out with modern vc tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
same goes for all of lowtax's !important hacks in the stylesheets btw, rewriting the forums in mathematica or whatever does absolutely nothing to address that. it can only be fixed through a brute-force resolution of the rules currently in effect

here too vc comes into play because if you have a thousand rules to resolve you better have a way to resolve a few at a time and keep track of the work

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 6, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Hammerite posted:

has lowtax ever made the code for the forums accessible so people can evaluate how bad it is

i mean i dont' doubt it's bad but...
there's still plenty of jelsoft code so it can't just be published, but many examples were posted in QCS and thye left no doubt as to radium's sociopathic tendencies

one thing that was mentioned: certain columns in the database contain integers divided into bit fields that control various features, and sometimes one bit position is assigned to represent a logical combination of conditions represented by other bits in the same column

radium was, at least in the later years, the sort of coder who works entirely in the moment, as if the project (and software engineering in general) has no past worth understanding, nor future worth planning for. because apparently he wasn't a coder in the first place, more of an administration/ops guy who gained coder cred by hacking in some caches to reduce the server load

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
:aaa:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so i wonder if he had the position meanings documented somewhere (which would be totally uncharacteristic) or they had to be reverse engineered

also whether there was a utility function somewhere to extract bit positions or he just used string primitives each time

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no one wants to believe it, but the "clean break" is just another iteration of the thinking that created the situation in the first place

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
some of those hacked-on features are business-critical though, namely the upgrades (the ones that work)

Hammerite posted:

thats terrible and stupid but hardly unfixable
exactly, every time someone rails about what a mess the forums code is all i hear is that there's a lot of low hanging fruit to pick if someone wpuld just get a frigging stepladder

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweevo posted:

everyone who has actually seen the codebase says it's an unmaintainable abortion. i'm more inclined to believe them than someone who reads about one trivial problem and thinks "hurr its just lots of little things, fix them and it'll be fine"
if you see that second person that you mentioned let me know

like i literally said in this very thread that resolving the CSS hacks would likely be a big job but there's no substitute for doing it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
rewrite the forums in mumps

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

you do not want to know what goes into web-facing mumps, let me tell you.
i do now

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

lol, where is this from? the VA's emr is called VISTA and is written in MUMPS. you are legally entitled to download your own copy of its source code. it's terrible. we bid for the VA's new scheduling system and got it but it hasn't been rolled out yet. but thanks to that one dailyWTF article or whatever people all think mumps is the name of the actual medical software rather than a language some terrible software is implemented in.
ok the system is terrible but how would you compare it to other MUMPS-based systems

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

George posted:

a good programmer can write elegant, easy-to-read code in any language

quote:

Mumps syntax will be discussed in detail below but it is important at this time to point out that Mumps code may not contain embedded blanks except withing quoted strings. In Mumps, a blank is a delimiter.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

what does this mean? whitespace is syntactic in mumps. single spaces separate statements, double spaces or newlines separate expressions. so you can't just have random extra whitespaces between identifiers or something, but if he's just complaining that he can't write something like "func( arg 1 , arg 2, arg 3)" i don't know what he's on about.
lol you're gone

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
at the time MUMPS was created (1966) "structured programming" was barely a subject of discussion in academic journals and certainly not adopted by any industry players

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
?1"no"16" no" would have saved you typing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
counterpoint:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i love my dead gay vbulletin

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my stepdads beer posted:

bing is likely a hacked up win32 app that outputs html
microsoft doesn't do this poo poo b/c every team in the company has license-free access to every sort of framework they could need

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
and those frameworks have paid & active maintainers, unlike open sores

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 7, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

how has lowtax not learned to code and mastered the code base he owns for the last 18 years?
contrary to rumor one does not learn good practices by studying bad ones

besides its his main cash cow which I'm sure has tended to limit the risks he's willing to take

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
He already went to college for computer, it didn't work out for him

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Also he lives in buttfuck moe, "employed as a developer" lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Uncle Enzo posted:

was there a good reason given as why the forum's rewrite wasn't publicly hosted on github or similar? people could help maybe. understand why the old code can't be distributed due to some being proprietary, but getting a copyright agreement and licensing from new contributors should be straightforward?
dude lay off the open sauce, were talking about building software from scratch to replace one organization's line of business app, not some "ecosystem"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LinYutang posted:

Worst case you end up with another Radium-esque situation where the one person who can untangle the bespoke functional forums code quits and it ends up accumulating debt + security vulnerabilities
Except this time it doesn't have the benefit of vbulletin's nominal engineering

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Have I mentioned that "starting over" was a bad idea? Because it is, and people who say otherwise are wrong

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
never underestimate a "magic beans" sales pitch

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I thought stage 3 was bargaining

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Alternately I thought you might mean that the new forums were going to require gentoo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol wait til the xenforo guys see whta theyre dealing with

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
At least he's not looking for another beat down by uwe boll

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Yet

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so I guess you haven't been in this biz long enough to see a manager/founder who's anxious about vendor lock in and also naive about software estimation

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
All it takes is one jackass telling the PHB "I'll build one for you with my magic space tech." Seriously

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
elixir? he hardly knows her!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so why did the forums crash when the footer copyright date was changed?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

George posted:

come spring lowtax will need all our help working the bitfields
NICE!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
thanks, bits

thits

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Luigi Thirty posted:

the gently caress is xenforo
a miserable little pile of add-ons

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
did u know: the general forums stylesheet has >260 style rules bound to particular forums

including some for the GBS graveyard that haven't been applied to neo-GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

oh yeah and we used mojo as a wiki (poo poo) and servicenow for tickets
tell me about servicenow

• Locked thread