Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

always found elixir a bit puzzling since while the erlang syntax is slightly esoteric it is not esoteric in any way that makes it more difficult to work with. you'll have to learn a new language anyway, ending function declarations with a period will not in fact be the biggest thing you'll have to get used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

still p. surprising to be i 2017 and sort of have to conclude that erlang made it. not a huge thing, but popular enough in serious enough circumstances that it is a platform you don't have to be too weary to build something of value on

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf rewriting the forums probably really could be done pretty quick, so who knows, it might get done in a reasonable time. it remains a pretty pointless exercise though. at the very least there is so much poo poo which should just be slowly migrated or killed off while getting the actual make-post-in-thread bit to work in a way that actually doesn't cost money to run

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Hammerite posted:

I guess as long as Lowtax has ownership of the code this time around he can share it and people can offer to improve it, which is a plus if the Jelsoft license stops him doing that right now. even if it does end up being another pile of crap

although doing it in a language only half a dozen people in the world know about lol

yeah, it is a bad idea if it is just to just get the forums working smooth, but if they actually make it there are some actual upsides that can follow

elixir is not the issue by a mile either, that is just tech people bikeshedding

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the daily wtf is the worst kind of spergs, circlejerking about what is ~right~ while failing to realize their, and softwares, role in the world

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am 100% sure you'd vastly improve the state of software development by getting rid of everyone who has ever posted on dailywtf

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

this isn't bikeshedding. choosing a language that nobody uses is a legitimate maintenance issue. when the original developer gets a girlfriend and stops working in it, hiring someone new that knows the language and is willing to put up with lowtax and goons is going to be nearly impossible.

elixir is not weird in any way though, it is less controversial than go when it comes to just about anyone being able to pick it up and make a patch if the need arises. the functional nature is the biggest sticking issue, but it is hardly haskell or even f# levels of complex

it may not be the best choice, but it is not a bad enough one that the codebase will be left stranded for *that* reason

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

or it'll be like titan. it'll start out being totally custom forum software and then after a few years lowtax will claim that it's really a lot back end stuff the user never interacts with, but it works great trust me. and the actual forums will carry on being a broken piece of poo poo

tbf the sensible way to do a rewrite if one is to do one would be to create a component which handles actual posting and rendering of thread pages off of some sensible database + queries to the old one, while keeping the entirety of the old forum rolling with, from its perspective, zero posts in all threads

so much weird junk in these forums which there is no reason to really mess with

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

just slap a proxy in front of the old servers.

for the forum index, it shows the forum index using some hot new poo poo. for everything else, it passes through to the old servers.
then, change it so that new thread creation (and displaying those new threads) goes to your new version, while old threads get proxied through to the old servers.
then, make your new version support pms and the store and all the other random poo poo people think they need
then, lock all the old megathreads that didn't naturally die while you were working on the random poo poo

bam, forums migrated

yeah, this is better (nbsd not wrong on his criticism), key to have the old and new coexisting for as long as needed mostly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one good reason to not do it in public would be to not have people bikeshedding on and on about very basic choices which in fact matter a lot less than just about everything else about the rewrite

lol golang

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FamDav posted:

wowwwwww thats soooo surprising

woowwwwwwwwwwww

well, yeah, it seems a 100% sensible thing to do and the thread was rather of the opinion that it was not going to happen

hopefully it pans out well but who knows v:shobon:v

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think that'd be wise really, would shed more posters than you'd think. besides, it really would not be rocket science to have a clean implementation handling new threads (and in time then all threads), while dragging the old stuff along for as long as needed when it comes to stuff like buying emotes or filling out reports or whatever the hell

like, while it is understood that the code is problematic etc. i don't really feel any special need for new software from the actual users perspective. it is a bit of a ye olde thing to have a forum of this kind at all, but i don't think it would be the least bit sane to try to move it onto google wave v. 2 or something like that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think you are confusing technical problems with monetization here

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, i guess a really good outcome of the upgrade would be that lowtax could use the new clean slate to implement a feature which pays everyone $5 for each post they make as well, but i am not sure xenforo actually has the solutions for all the problems with that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way, fairly likely some sane migration to xenforo would be possible, will have to see what they come up with

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Clockwerk posted:

I don't get why he keeps getting hung up on migrating existing forums content at all. ~my precious treasure trove of shitposts~ whatever shall I do without it, laments the taxman

need to migrate users anyway, and i suspect there is far more sa-specific strangeness to take into account there than there is in getting threads migrated over

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this thread really is the closest yospos gets to humorlessly roleplaying being an actual spergy computer forum

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Syllables posted:

10 dollars to sign up was one of the best decisions lowtax has made tbh

it is literally the one decision that made the forums a thing

it'd be nice if the forums made it through another decade in some shape, but, eh, sa has stayed for more constant than anything is meant to be on the internet (or, in general, in this foul age)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

but it's p lol that there's a bunch of devs who have spent probably hundreds of hours on dead gay apps that will be completely useless in the near future

i think you'll struggle to label any forum-related activity as useful even with fairly liberal definitions of what usefulness means

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just tried setting up discourse, and holy hell it is the worst kind of duct-taped together over-engineered under-thought crap. a million random dependencies, a ton of details that must be "just so" for it to work, and horrifying performance and resource use for what it actually does

one can safely conclude that either forums software is very complicated business, or that idiots are everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Linguica posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I have gotten used to @mentions and "like"s on forums and miss them when they don't exist

mentions are good, likes are trash

notifications go with the overall mentions thing, and are good too. live updates would work great for sa as well. so there are some things to be gotten out of an upgrade certainly

• Locked thread