Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ef is so loving bad. asp.net rules tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you come in from the cat thread or something?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
If you're doing a web thing and you aren't using asp.net you're nuts.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

which of the top 100 most visited websites run on asp.net?

the good ones

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also that 1 byte per bit is if you only have 1 bit. sql server stores bits in 1 byte chunks so if you have 8 bit columns in a table that's still only 1 byte of storage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
25-32 bit fields are the same size as 1 int field.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sql server is the best.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. like I'm gonna use oracle. what am i, made of money??

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also in the event that you actually did want to store a bitmask or something, binary is what you want to store it in, not a loving int.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mongo is web scale

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

loling at the matrix of windows and sql licenses required to do that

theres no reason not to have windows datacenter and sql enterprise so who cares

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

zen death robot posted:

the people doing things before me weren't database peeps and I'm not really into coding so it's just a reverse of the situation that we've had before but the difference is I'm not trying to make this pile of poo poo limp along with slapped together updates and I'm telling Lowtax that the 3rd party solution is the way to go. That was my opinion before the guy who said he could code a replacement forums in 2 months showed up but I don't own the place so I get vetoed easily but we're back to "get something that someone else maintains ffs"

the people before you weren't into coding either

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Jira and confluence the applications work great but there are some serious pains in the rear end wrt the server management, especially ldap auth.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

shaggar is 100% right, especially the part about LDAP. confluence still chokes on nested security groups, afaik

for me its not so much that it chokes on nested groups its that it cant handle looking for groups in multiple base OUs. For me I can either set the base dn to be the root in which case it imports loving everything cause of course it loving does or if I limit the scope to my user OUs then it cant get to security groups outside those OUs.

the LDAP sync I wrote for JIRA 3 worked better and I had no idea what I was doing back then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a Linux thing. see also: mailing lists.

now is it the Linux/mailing lists causing the brain damage that leads to liking the Linux/bad threading or is there pre-existing brain damage that makes people susceptible to the Linux/bad threading?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably games

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blue Train posted:

Lol at replacing GBS with pyf like that's an improvement, just fuckin lol

theres no improving gbs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
reddit sucks because the format is litterrally unreadable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

emoji posted:

So you're saying the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Locked thread