Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Kempo Yellow Belt posted:

dumbest questions rarely get dumber...

Should I re-enlist? And if so, I want to be an officer in my previous MOS instead of an NCO watching joe mopping concrete and counting rocks.

I'm 32 prior service with 5 years active duty and 1 reserve. mos was 11B

e; going on close to 10 years out of service.

My flatmate wanted to do this for a bit, so I'll say the same thing to you.

You won't be able to stop the bullshit like you think you will. It still rolls in from above, and has to be poured down the hill. Your new plans get filtered through the opinions of a bunch of NCOs that you can't choose. Despite this you can still make life a little bit better for your crew, but that isn't going to stop some from beating up each other or their wives, bankrupting themselves or being AWOL on the day of the general's visit because they're still in an alcoholic coma from the weekend. Instead, you get to help deal with them and a bunch of your boys will still make the worst possible decisions anyway. Find a civvy job where you get paid, can help others if that's your thing, and wash your hands of all the idiots on friday night and spend your weekends BBQing instead of writing orders.

TLDR, it's this sage advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Kempo Yellow Belt posted:

dumbest questions rarely get dumber...

Should I re-enlist? And if so, I want to be an officer in my previous MOS instead of an NCO watching joe mopping concrete and counting rocks.

Not to pile on too hard but were you in for a peacetime military at all? Because the only thing more frustrating than all the dumb poo poo I've endured since GWOT was a bunch of coward careerists so eager to gently caress people over to make themselves look better that everyone is more miserable in peace than they are at war. In the brief time I was in before the towers fell I didn't know a single officer who wan't a high functioning alcoholic, including the mustangs. With the psuedo peacetime/foreverwar we have going on the brain drain is real and even an American Zealot like myself doesn't have the energy for this poo poo anymore.

Ever seen someone mopping a ceiling while their two idiot buddies are on the upper balcony loudly chanting at the 782 inspection going on in the parking lot about how they are "Lance Corporal Won't-shave and PFC Fuckstick and together we cannot shave" followed by a vigorous dry shave that we could hear in the parking lot? Fights in the motorpool because people keep stealing other units softback humvee doors? PMO rounding up the one guy who didn't go inside and shut his door when they came by to stop a fight in the parking lot because "dude didn't need help beating that other fuckers rear end, he deserved it".

Now think of the paperwork, each of these resulted in at least a page 11 which meant that at a minimum the platoon sergeant and leader were present before the CO explaining why this shouldn't go any further, it's a discipline issue, we're dealing with it. Also it's Monday, that wasn't even Field day or weekend level shenanigans, let alone prepping for the field where we had people chasing a dude with pump handles for the 198 because it he was poo poo talking the other guys wife, until the FAC showed up...

So I don't know, maybe you've got a greater grip on your self control and mental state than I do, but Jesus gently caress, if I had to deal with that poo poo again, even as a lance I'd blow up and murder someone. And that's without the constant drug pops because I guess there's dealers in the barracks again despite being right next to PMO...

In short, you know what, go ahead. I wanna see how far you get before you lose it and throttle someone.

No, the answer is no. Don't do this. PAPERCLIP yourself or something.

Oh and Fuckstick and Wont-Shave got their sergeant page 11'd for that, even though collectively they would never shave left to their own devices and them being written up for it before so the guy who decided to embarrass them to try to get them to conform was at his wits end with those two.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
For you, the worst day of your life was when you had to stop one dude from stabbing another dude with his K-bar for loving the other dude's wife and got stabbed in turn, all while trying to get the base ready for a general's visit and dealing with a rape case, two AWOL fuckwits from Alabama and a crippling hangover.

For me, it was Tuesday.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

There are two ways I'd ever go back in: dog handler and flight warrant officer

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Federal breast inspector.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mike-o posted:

Federal breast inspector.

So a Marine?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Flikken posted:

So a Marine?
That's a federal ball inspector. Easy to confuse the two, I know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

In less than two years as flight leadership, we booted a kid for being loving worthless and never actually completing his initial aircrew qualification in almost 3 years of active duty (should've been done in roughly 1), had one guy allegedly shoot himself (in the back of the hand) but really he probably got shot by his ex-wife, had a guy on a no-alcohol order leave town, get hammered and hailed a cab with his loving face (not allowed to reenlist), and a guy cashed out all shared bank accounts leaving his wife and two kids hosed over while he was deployed. Fortunately the suicide was not one of my guys, he worked down the hall.

Edit: And this was a flight of enlisted aircrew in the Air Force. These guys are supposed to be smart. Somehow we got three of the wing's four STEP promotions in the middle of that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 10, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
not a drill story but a recruiter one. Had some kid come from the left of my office, which meant he probably tried the navy before us. People would walk the row. If they came from the right it meant USAF turned them down. Anyhow he came and sat down and I started doing the usual routine asking questions and we got to criminal history, which is like the 2nd or 3rd question in the standard rundown. He got kinda sketchy about some charge and my instinct told me to look him up on the sex offender registry. I looked up up on NSOPW https://www.nsopw.gov/ and sure as poo poo there was his picture. That was the only time I'd ever had a legit registered sex offender come up to me and I just turned my lap top towards him and I'm like "Is this you and did you do this?" and he's like "Hell yeah I did that!!!!!!" like what the gently caress I told him to leave.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
It was pretty funny sometimes, my BFF forever in recruiting, really the only guy I ever still talk to from the army, we'd be in the office and if he'd start talking to a guy he'd repeat their name loudly for me if I wasn't doing anything and I'd pull up their rapsheet on the repository/public record poo poo and if he heard the printer start goign past like a page he'd loving know they were lying to him because I'd be pulling up all the poo poo they "forgot about"

how you forget about multiple felonies is beyond me but apparently people do!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also people were shocked to learn that we were all active duty soldiers and not actors or something IDK it was weird

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

On a scale from "got a bj from my 17 year old girlfriend on my 18th birthday" to "anally raped my baby sister but it was just the tip so it shouldn't count" how horrible a person was he?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

also people were shocked to learn that we were all active duty soldiers and not actors or something IDK it was weird

Yeah you say that L.T. Smash but we know the truth.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

On a scale from "got a bj from my 17 year old girlfriend on my 18th birthday" to "anally raped my baby sister but it was just the tip so it shouldn't count" how horrible a person was he?

I don't remember the exact nature of it but it was like shockingly bad like I couldn't even feel bad for the guy it was straight up some gang bang sexual assault poo poo with a foreign object iirc

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I don't remember the exact nature of it but it was like shockingly bad like I couldn't even feel bad for the guy it was straight up some gang bang sexual assault poo poo with a foreign object iirc

So, did you tell him which way to the recruitment office for the Marines?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Preechr posted:

So, did you tell him which way to the recruitment office for the Marines?

Just like with shooting, the Marines don't want you knowing how to rape BEFORE you join, they'd rather teach you from the ground up to mange sure you're always raping the Marine Corps way, rah?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Ah, I see, so this is what they meant when they said "there is the right way, the wrong way, and the Marine Corps way."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Preechr posted:

Ah, I see, so this is what they meant when they said "there is the right way, the wrong way, and the Marine Corps way."

In that order, by level of depravity.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Reminds me of a joke someone told me years back

As an American serviceman, how do you stop an Okinawan girl from getting raped?

You stop chasing her

Followed by a chuckle and then a quick look of disappointment

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Godholio posted:

had a guy on a no-alcohol order leave town, get hammered and hailed a cab with his loving face (not allowed to reenlist)

Why are no-alcohol orders even a thing? I mean, it's 2017, we know alcoholism is a disease, if a person starts drinking to excess and clearly doesn't understand why they are not able to stop, no amount of orders will help, because they're trying to satisfy an urge beyond their conscious control.

What do the marines( or all of the US branches) do if they suspect they're dealing with an alcoholic? I'd have just discharged them immediately or mandated AA, no amount of discipline or hazing will help anyway.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Most of the military are alcoholics.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mike-o posted:

Most of the military are alcoholics.

I doubt that, at least if we go by the terminology that separates between alcoholic and problem drinker. An alcoholic has a physical allergy that means that every time they take one drink, their body will immediately and violently crave more drinks until they lose consciousness, and if put under pressure, they will seek out alcohol to relieve the stress. They rarely keep high-risk, high responsibility jobs for long.

A problem drinker, sometimes called(erroneously imho) a functioning alcoholic, will drink way too much at all hours, but will put off the job/life-destroying benders till they have free time to waste.

E: though I will agree that armed forces everywhere has high numbers of real alcoholics, simply because they take in people young who have yet to hit their bottom and realize their problem.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You're describing the alcoholism that gets people killed. Most of the military falls in to the legal definition of "Mild Alcohol Use Disorder." Everyone I knew were very functional drunks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

You're describing the alcoholism that gets people killed. Most of the military falls in to the legal definition of "Mild Alcohol Use Disorder." Everyone I knew were very functional drunks.

Allright, cool. English isn't my first language, so maybe the terminology is off.

E:

Does any U.S.AF material stand out to you as particularly good? Is there a car, gun, tank, plane etc. you'd vote to keep if you were in charge of procurement?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^All the major systems are good, though some are just loving old and wearing out. The F-22 is one thing that surprisingly lives up to the hype...the AF should've bought 700 of the goddamned things. The F-35A (the USAF version) will be really good. The acquisitions program has been completely hosed, but the product itself will be a worthy successor to the F-16 and a good complement to the F-22. The F-15C is still on par or better than any other Russian or Chinese fighter, though that won't last forever. The B-1, B-2, and B-52 are all really good at their specific missions. The USAF's logistical capabilities are probably better than any other government or military organization in the world.

Tias posted:

Why are no-alcohol orders even a thing? I mean, it's 2017, we know alcoholism is a disease, if a person starts drinking to excess and clearly doesn't understand why they are not able to stop, no amount of orders will help, because they're trying to satisfy an urge beyond their conscious control.

What do the marines( or all of the US branches) do if they suspect they're dealing with an alcoholic? I'd have just discharged them immediately or mandated AA, no amount of discipline or hazing will help anyway.

There are legal requirements that have to be met before you can discharge someone. They can fight it in court. A no-alcohol order is a written order from a commander (or someone on G-series orders) that carries a lot of weight because it's a goddamned written order. Violate it and the paper trail you carry to the JAG's office is a lot heavier/stronger when you're giving someone the boot.

We actually had another guy's discharge (the one who would go to the bathroom to take naps) get rejected initially because the I's weren't dotted and T's weren't crossed properly on his stack of LOCs/LORs. They told us how to do it right on the next few so that when we came back in a few months (prediction: accurate) it wouldn't be a problem.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 15, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also the way the Army, at least, tries to medically track alcohol intake as a problem is dumb.

If you are honest and drink exactly one night-cap of wine every single night but never, ever have 2 drinks back to back, the medical system may flag you more severely than the guy who gets hosed up once or twice a month but drinks nothing on week nights.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Tias posted:

E:

Does any U.S.AF material stand out to you as particularly good? Is there a car, gun, tank, plane etc. you'd vote to keep if you were in charge of procurement?

If the AF means "armed forces" which is what I think you mean, for the Marine Corps, the 7 ton (all purpose truck) and the M777 155mm howitzer are both very good. Especially the 7 ton. It's an absolute beast. Also Marine Corps camouflage is good in that it actually can achieve concealment, which you'd expect from all camouflage, but here we are.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
a dude in my company got sent to some rehab program for like a month after he got trashed at the enlisted club, then crashed his car and was found passed out naked along the road by the mps

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

a dude in my company got sent to some rehab program for like a month after he got trashed at the enlisted club, then crashed his car and was found passed out naked along the road by the mps

Dude, that should be fast tracked to corporal, he went above and beyond

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

Dude, that should be fast tracked to corporal, he went above and beyond

we had a meritorious corporal piss hot for meth after the ball, so our bar was kinda high

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

we had a meritorious corporal piss hot for meth after the ball, so our bar was kinda high

Man, by Air Wing standards then homeboy would have been a gunney

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

My last unit had pretty good success sending guys to the 30 day rehab. Sometimes it was ordered by the CO, other times it was voluntary. The guy with the no alcohol order sounds like he likely went through "treatment" and the command had decided that he was a lost cause.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I used to be on the detail to drive the drunks out to the drying out facility in Alabama, it seemed like a pretty sweet gig for a month or so just for answering honestly at the TMC that you had 10 drinks a night.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Tias posted:

There are two kinds of alcohol restrictions. Individual no-alcohol orders are issued by unit commanders when a soldier has enough of a problem with alcohol that it noticeably impacts his ability to perform his duties. The order is meant to restore the soldier's work ability by forcing him to dry out. It generally also requires participation in a program like AA.

The second type is a blanket restriction on all servicemen in a certain base or geographic area. Initially this was rationalized as being "culturally sensitive" when Americans set up in Middle Eastern countries. By now that pretense has been dropped, and it's just because commanders don't want to deal with the consequences of alcohol use in wartime.

So instead, they deal with the consequences of soldiers who have nothing to take the edge off their boredom or fear or guilt while they're at war. My uncle always said that Vietnam sucked, but at least he could have a few beers to unwind.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
lol @ "being culturally sensitive"

the loving iraqi army guys next door to us were drinking those whiskey-in-a-can and getting drunk every night.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also no porn for same reason.

Meanwhile, locals tell you to turn off your RF jammers so they can stream porn and show it to you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crappy reservist asking you Iraqi era vets a question about your counterparts.
What was the favorite porn of Iraqi Army soldiers?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

Crappy reservist asking you Iraqi era vets a question about your counterparts.
What was the favorite porn of Iraqi Army soldiers?

Guess

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'm going to go with questionably-young-looking teen porn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lady boys?

• Locked thread