Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've always thought gun control is a necessary part of a civilized society, but that sort of presupposes that society is going to stay civilized and naturally progress in a direction that makes personal firearm ownership mostly anachronistic. Luckily I'm Canadian so the need isn't as pressing, but Canada can't escape any kid of drastic global realignment America causes so on a longer timescale knowing how to safely operate and keep firearms suddenly sounds like an actual life-skill again.

Here's a question for those of you in the States who've been moving in the direction of "leftists and minorities should be armed for their protection", the Clinton and Obama administrations both had a whole lot of militia activity whose whole rhetoric and style was built around preparing for some kind of upcoming civil war or calamity, but were for the most part left alone. Can other groups reasonably hope to adopt that style of rhetoric without immediately becoming labeled as terrorists? I know in Canada background checks and personal references are a necessary part of getting a gun license and I don't know if holding a political opinion like "what if there's civil collapse or a fascist takeover?" is a disqualifying opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Guns are, in fact, Still Bad, it's just a sign of the times that things are getting bad enough that they might actually become as necessary as lunatic gun nuts always claimed they'd be. Driven in no small part by those same gun nuts indulging in violent fantasies and being exploited by a proto-fascistic political party until they got their dream yam President, in fact.

A society that's regressed to the point where people really might need guns is a lovely society. There's going to be plenty more "psh, now liberals like guns!" but if smug by-your-logic-ing mattered we wouldn't be in this situation so who cares.

• Locked thread