Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I own guns because shooting paper is fun and owns and I'm getting a ccw because of redcaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's always good deals at gun shows but you gotta roll in with a guide who knows how poo poo works and can deal with a convention hall full of used car salesmen in confederate flag realtree hats.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A mosin is an excellent gun if you're living in a mud hole in the woods and are going insane from exposure but not for anything else really.

Except obrezes. Everyone needs a tiny flamethrower.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

I just want a cheap .22 rifle that I can turn into a tactilol sniper

Mossberg 715t is your choice for the mall ninja on a budget.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Been looking at guns all day, it looks like mosins can be had for a lower cost up front and would be way more satisfying but are more expensive to fire and a .22 rifle would be the cheapest way to actually practice shooting even though i would be looking at twice the price up front.

That about right?

Mosins run on an increasingly rare cartridge, not that it's rare, but not everywhere will have it for sale the same way 9 and 5.56 are. Also they've been creeping up in price and a mosin that you could expect to go out and shoot immediately is going to cost 300+ dollars.

Mossberg makes the 702 plinkster which won't take you to the Olympics but it does cost $120 new and ammo is literally ten times cheaper than it is for the mosin.

The idea of dirt cheap mosins is a holdover meme when you could literally buy them by the crate for about 50 bucks a pop. Nowadays if you want a proper rifle to learn on you should probably just get a cheap AR platform.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The anarchists that got death squadded by pinochet adopted the slogan of "Political Consciousness! And Rifles!" and I really like that it could work as a thread title.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stockpiling weapons doesn't really make a lot of sense but it's just good sense to own a rifle, pistol, and shotgun.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheDon01 posted:

And it quickly turns into several rifles, a couple more shotguns and oooh look a pistol in a neat caliber...and before you know it dammit you got yourself a stockpile.

Hey man all you really need is a rifle in 556 or 300 BO, a 12 gauge, and a decent .40 or 9 pistol, and you're fine. And maybe a couple boltguns, and then some .22s because man how else are you going to afford going to the range, and then oh man that's a neat revolver. I need everything keltec ever made for reasons that are totally more legitimate than Spacegun but I can't tell you what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
a good knife is something everyone should have but its utility at defense is laughable and they're basically only good for straight up murdering someone fairly quietly. If you're paranoid about home defense but also terrified of guns just go buy a little league baseball bat.

• Locked thread