Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rutibex posted:

the simpsons had to become what it did, because the writers refused to allow Bart/Lisa/Maggie to grow up. if it was going to continue with good episodes that are semi-grounded in reality they should have made Bart/Lisa teenagers in season 9. only way to get more family situations out of the same cast.

they tried to do this without aging the kids, but its just terrible. how many romantic partners have Bart and Lisa had by now? thats some experienced 10 year old!
The one thing south park has done right: aging the kids slightly over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

The one thing south park has done right: aging the kids slightly over the years.

of course, maybe they knew what they were doing. The Flintstones tried this strategy, and the franchise tanked soon after. The SImpsons stayed in a time bubble and has been profitable for decades :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxVFaEGyTo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Khorne posted:

Even then, the SP kids I thought only went up a single yearr and they've gone unaged for the last 15 or so years, haven't they?

I've said this before, too, but when the characters have to interact with modern characters or celebrities, it sort of jumps out with how out of time the Simpsons are. The cast were sort of designs of the late 80s in their fashion sense, but in the episode when Bart went to the other 4th grade class the kids were much more modern in their look and talk. When the cast has to go out and interact with something in the new hip popular culture, they sort of stand out like sore thumbs.

I know the Simpsons has done 'future' episodes in the past, but I'm sort of surprised they've not done the gimmick of a 'real time' Simpsons episode how where the characters would be and who they'd be if they'd actually aged over the last several seasons and it was them in 2017 or something: Bart and Milhouse at 40, Homer at nearly 70, Mr. Burns at nearly 110, Lisa being mid-30s burned out teacher who is considered a conservative monster by the standards of today. All their fashion, attitudes, environment being built around a modern day Springfield.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

They have a flat screen tv now instead of a crt.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Lisa being mid-30s burned out teacher who is considered a conservative monster by the standards of today.

This would be hysterical.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

JediTalentAgent posted:

Even then, the SP kids I thought only went up a single yearr and they've gone unaged for the last 15 or so years, haven't they?
They've gone from 8 to 10 years old or so. I think.

It's a subtle difference, but it has definitely been beneficial to the show.

Simpsons has just kind of gone on past its expiration date.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Bart would be using Milhouse as for an abusive food and activity challenge Youtube channel that also doubles in a retro-gaming and media review site. Milhouse, so happy to be able to 'beat' Bart and be a 'winner', coupled with his own self-destructive personality, allows himself to do things like eat a fire ants and drink a slushie made of nothing but jalepeno peppers. Bart refuses to let Milhouse read the Youtube comments for fear that if he saw how much people were making fun of him for his reactions he'd stop participating.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I know it kind of sounds innocuous, but the thing that bugs me is every episode of modern simpsons now has a musical montage. It's pure filler with a couple of unfunny sight gags and it's seriously in every episode.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

screaden posted:

I know it kind of sounds innocuous, but the thing that bugs me is every episode of modern simpsons now has a musical montage. It's pure filler with a couple of unfunny sight gags and it's seriously in every episode.

thats not new, they have done that since season 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtBMQ59xmv0&t=190s

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
I feel like I remember a vague trend of the Simpson really sucking around election time. Does anyone else remember a pretty stupid one where all of Springfield voted for Ralph Wiggum as a presidential candidate?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Rutibex posted:

thats not new, they have done that since season 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtBMQ59xmv0&t=190s

I phrased that wrong, I meant a montage set to a popular song. It obviously happened in earlier seasons, like Ringo Starr in the episode where Marge paints Burns and at least that made some sense. The ones now feel like they're thrown in without any relevance to what's happening in the episode

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The animation of Mr Burns and Smithers in the start of the voting clip is so, so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BceHGzsDVLY

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the lowest point of the simpsons is right now, its the fact that they are still making it

i mean the downward slide started around season 11 or something i dont remember exactly, but its been a long slow decline that will keep reaching new lows as long as it goes

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The weirdest part to me is Fox could end the series tomorrow and continue the syndication everywhere to rake in the billions for the next 2+ decades without becoming increasingly sadder as it hits newer lows. Just give the franchise its dignity.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The weirdest part to me is Fox could end the series tomorrow and continue the syndication everywhere to rake in the billions for the next 2+ decades without becoming increasingly sadder as it hits newer lows. Just give the franchise its dignity.

I think they use it to bootstrap other shows they air adjacent to the Simpsons

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hammerite posted:

you haven't seen the episode and yet you can recognise a description of it and refer to it matter-of-factly by title? do you spend your time reading and memorising synopses of Simpsons episodes so you can appear knowledgeable about them in gbs?

I Googled "homer simpson choreographer" and then read the Wikipedia synopsis. I could be wrong. :shrug:

YeahTubaMike posted:

You're thinking of Dancin' Homer, which is a good episode. The episode that poster was describing appears to [be] Homer & Ned's Hail Mary Pass, which I have not seen/do not remember seeing.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jesus chirst that political commentary in homer votes tho

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Lmao that homer raped by panda was not some kinda standout terrible lowest point but a forgotten blip that doesn't even make the shortlist of worst episodes

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

This is made even funnier when watched in the context of how relatively straight the show had been until then.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Saint Drogo posted:

Lmao that homer raped by panda was not some kinda standout terrible lowest point but a forgotten blip that doesn't even make the shortlist of worst episodes

It's not even the most uncomfortable "Homer gets raped" scene.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Razorwired posted:

It's not even the most uncomfortable "Homer gets raped" scene.

Even the scene where Homer's gay roommate kissed him while he and Marge were fighting was pretty uncomfortable.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'm not a huge Simpons fan. I watched it on TV as a child, and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I've seen all the good seasons.
Hearing these plot synopses(like the few above) just make me feel like I'm catching up on an old friend who is into some really nasty stuff now.
Like just awkward and sad,.

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

It was the time Homer tripped on MDMA with Lena Dunham to a Spacemen 3 song.

e: Here's the clip because a sentence like that really needs context to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVdLSPE7qo

death by computer fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 6, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm not a huge Simpons fan. I watched it on TV as a child, and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I've seen all the good seasons.
Hearing these plot synopses(like the few above) just make me feel like I'm catching up on an old friend who is into some really nasty stuff now.
Like just awkward and sad,.

It's worth tracking down and watching seasons 3 through 7. The quality is very high and very consistent. 8 is worth a watch though it was starting to show wear. You'll actually appreciate it more as an adult than you would as a child, there are a lot of political and historical and a few sexual jokes that you wouldn't get as a child.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Past like season 8 or 9 there are really only a few good episodes per season then you get to season 14 where there is like one funny bit per season. I still like the everybody hates Ned Flanders song, but that episode was complete trash for the remaining 17 minutes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A dozen years from now, we'll be reading about the golden years of the 20th season

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the simpsons will never end, it has become one of the Golden Immortal Shows. it is in the company of such greats as The Price is Right, Jeopardy, The Young and the Restless, and Survivor

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Saint Drogo posted:

Oh man, I forgot about that episode. That was pretty bad.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
since we all basically agree that it went downhill after season 8/9/10/etc can we make this the golden age of Simpsons thread to post our favourite gags

ill start

https://www.instagram.com/p/BA_E4LlE3xC/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIUSEEZgBI

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

death by computer posted:

that episode ended up being a dream

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Was there a subplot about Bart, Lisa and some pebbles?

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Was there a subplot about Bart, Lisa and some pebbles?

No, but Marge shacked up with Dunham's character's father.

get that OUT of my face posted:

that episode ended up being a dream

The classic cop-out. It's hard to say which was worse, that slow reveal and the constant undermining of it before the ultimate non-joke ending or... everything else.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy

nickhimself posted:

The Simpsons is actually still more or less just as good as it's always been

Sorry to those of you who have wrong opinions and think The Simpsons after season X was bad.

Some episodes are bad, some are good.

This. Still prefer Family Guy though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sentient Data posted:

A dozen years from now, we'll be reading about the golden years of the 20th season

I don't know, it's not like SNL where people just always remember the years when they first started watching the most fondly. The consensus seems almost universal for where the peak was for the Simpsons, the only debate is how soon and how steep the decline was

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

e: Here's the clip because a sentence like that really needs context to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVdLSPE7qo

Was that a homestarrunner character on the tattoo

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
the lowest point of the simpsons is the most recent episode hth

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
wow the lena dunham one was real? I for real figured that was the joke one someone was trying to sneak in.

TheSpamalope
Dec 30, 2008

by sebmojo
Lipstick Apathy
I can't process how the Simpsons went from being the coolest thing on tv as a kid to bring easily the worst poo poo i have ever seen.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TheSpamalope posted:

I can't process how the Simpsons went from being the coolest thing on tv as a kid to bring easily the worst poo poo i have ever seen.

remember that poo poo being concerning, like "WHOA SHOULD WE LET KIDS WATCH THIS??"

lol

Barts a TERRIBLE INFLUENCE ON TODAYS YOUTH- someone in like 1990

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

remember that poo poo being concerning, like "WHOA SHOULD WE LET KIDS WATCH THIS??"

lol

Barts a TERRIBLE INFLUENCE ON TODAYS YOUTH- someone in like 1990

Went from freaking out about Bart, to Beavis and Butthead, to South Park.
Really shows the degeneration of our society over the past 20ish years.