Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

I don't know, it's not like SNL where people just always remember the years when they first started watching the most fondly. The consensus seems almost universal for where the peak was for the Simpsons, the only debate is how soon and how steep the decline was

the simpsons sucked once all the good writers ditched it for futurama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcraft_boyfriend_99
Aug 12, 2007

by Pragmatica

Other Barry posted:

ever since armin tamzarian, every single episode of the simpsons has been worst than the one before it. so that means that every single time you watch a new simpsons, that's the worst episode of the series

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Actual screenshot from the Family Guy crossover episode

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

the simpsons sucked once all the good writers ditched it for futurama.

Speaking of which it's a loving shame Futurama got cancelled again. I get it that it just wasn't getting the ratings especially after being cancelled, rebooting, moving networks, cancelled, brought back for 1-2 seasons, and then cancelled again. Even the last season which aired 2-3 years ago was pretty loving funny. Katey Sagal was apparently getting a ton of money to voice Leela, but it was drat well worth it

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 6, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

I can't decide if it's better or worse that I understand Spanish 100%.

The_Franz posted:

Season 8 is where you can really see the decline in quality speeding up though.

I stopped buying DVDs once I got to 7 because 5/6/7 were best (though there are some good ones from 8/9 like Grimey and NYC).

Wizard Master posted:

Actual screenshot from the Family Guy crossover episode

Ninja edit: what in the gently caress :suicide:

Real edit, Wasn't there some fake news ticker on Family Guy where Quagmire rapes Marge?

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 6, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Why isn't Putin riding in on a bear? This is like, excessively lazy. Russia=bear, not horse.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Thin Privilege posted:

Real edit, Wasn't there some fake news ticker on Family Guy where Quagmire rapes Marge?

Rapes her (but she enjoys it!), then shoots the whole Simpsons family. Macfarlane justified it by saying there was a "WANTED: Plagiarist" poster of Peter Griffin in a Simpsons episode. So, you know. Rape Marge and shotgun the fam, that seems an equal return.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Thin Privilege posted:

Why isn't Putin riding in on a bear? This is like, excessively lazy. Russia=bear, not horse.

Ah, but this way it is also a reference to the infamous photo of Putin riding shirtless on a horse - many Humor Points! Your way involves creatively combining references so it loses points.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Das Boo posted:

Rapes her (but she enjoys it!), then shoots the whole Simpsons family. Macfarlane justified it by saying there was a "WANTED: Plagiarist" poster of Peter Griffin in a Simpsons episode. So, you know. Rape Marge and shotgun the fam, that seems an equal return.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJHCV40fuCQ

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People who say they are Simpsons fans but actually hate 40-80% of their "favorite show" and are constantly spouting off about the fact are garbage, and it shouldn't be socially acceptable.

If I was constantly talking about how I loved burgers but really what I love is just eating a single bite of the bun and then throwing the rest out somebody would call me out on it eventually but nope none of that for "Simpsons fans".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There was so very very very much wacky stuff, weird writing, lazyness, cutaways, pointless celebrity appearances, and "Family Guy bullshit" in the early seasons. You have nostalgia for it because you were younger back then.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There was so very very very much wacky stuff, weird writing, lazyness, cutaways, pointless celebrity appearances, and "Family Guy bullshit" in the early seasons. You have nostalgia for it because you were younger back then.

Mid-way through season 9 my friends and I had a long discussion about how the show's writing had suddenly changed and become noticeably lovely compared to the previous season and those before it. We were 17. "Nostalgia" was not a concept yet, in fact that's an age when you actively shun crap from your childhood. Even children watching the show at the time knew it had changed when the better staff left to start Futurama.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It had definitely become more mean-spirited and a lot of the heart had left.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

People who say they are Simpsons fans but actually hate 40-80% of their "favorite show" and are constantly spouting off about the fact are garbage, and it shouldn't be socially acceptable.

If I was constantly talking about how I loved burgers but really what I love is just eating a single bite of the bun and then throwing the rest out somebody would call me out on it eventually but nope none of that for "Simpsons fans".

have you not clicked on any of the links in this thread? also talking about the simpsons isn't socially acceptable thats why were doing it here

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

It's more like you start out eating 5 Guys burgers, but gradually over time they turn into Wendy's burgers, then McDonald's burgers, then one day you look down and you're eating some plastic wrapped microwave burger from a gas station

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dogmeat posted:

have you not clicked on any of the links in this thread? also talking about the simpsons isn't socially acceptable thats why were doing it here

I voted for the Gaga episode, which I've seen. The only clip I haven't seen is the tik tok riff because I can't bring myself to.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

It's more like you start out eating 5 Guys burgers, but gradually over time they turn into Wendy's burgers, then McDonald's burgers, then one day you look down and you're eating some plastic wrapped microwave burger from a gas station

The Simpsons is on season 28. If you stopped watching at season 13, you've missed over half of the show.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Better way to underscore the enormity of the show: there have been 356 Simpsons episodes since Homer got raped by a panda.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

I voted for the Gaga episode, which I've seen. The only clip I haven't seen is the tik tok riff because I can't bring myself to.

In all fairness, it was just the intro and one which fox made them do at that.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

This is more like saying you're a huge fan of a band that's existed long past their heyday, and it's perfectly acceptable.

It's universally understood that if someone says they're a huge Misfits fan, they're talking about things prior to 1984. Same thing with something like Guns n Roses or Black Sabbath. If they like modern versions of these things they'll even clarify that they like it, because certain things being good have a known time period.

If someone is a huge Simpsons fan most people understand they mean the seasons prior to 10-ish.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Season 8 is when you can see them start to get more experimental with the episodes, they just all happen to still be good (You Only Move Twice, Viaje Misterioso, and my all time favorite episode Homer's Enemy). Season 9 they finally have a couple of whiffs (most notably Principal and the Pauper), but it's still mostly good. Season 10 is when the hit/miss ratio starts to get really out of control.

To answer the thread question, I'd have to go with the "feuds" with Family Guy/South Park. That should be so beneath an iconic series, even as a marketing ploy. The Futurama one I can excuse even if it was bad, because at least it was the spiritual successor to The Simpsons with the same creator and several writers. Groening's at least allowed that as an artist.

Also, can someone who stuck around past Season 11 confirm or deny that Lenny and Carl became gay lovers? I feel like that was the plot of an episode I happened to drop in on, but maybe I imagined it?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

wow some Big Mac fan you are, refusing to eat it since they started putting diarrhea on it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
:): "I really like this book."
:cool:: *Draws a penis on the book* "lol and now u r gay!"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

'El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer' and 'Bart Gets An Elephant' are the two peaks of the series IMO. I could watch either episode once a week for the rest of my life and still enjoy them.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
while heavy sack beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
well I'm gonna be honest with you mister I need a full grown african elephant and I need it today. Buuut I'm afraid this just isn't what I'm looking for

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Rick and Morty opening is the best thing the show has done in like 10 years. And I'm guessing they weren't involved in that at all.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Alan_Shore posted:

The Rick and Morty opening is the best thing the show has done in like 10 years. And I'm guessing they weren't involved in that at all.

I have a feeling the Simpsons family were meant to be properly rendered as crushed to death, but Fox wouldn't allow it, hence why they just turned into yellow goop instead.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Blind Pineapple posted:

Also, can someone who stuck around past Season 11 confirm or deny that Lenny and Carl became gay lovers? I feel like that was the plot of an episode I happened to drop in on, but maybe I imagined it?

No, that never happened, just some throwaway gay jokes about them being so close.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Simpsons must be stopped. It isn't right that this is allowed to continue.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

death by computer posted:

It was the time Homer tripped on MDMA with Lena Dunham to a Spacemen 3 song.

e: Here's the clip because a sentence like that really needs context to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVdLSPE7qo

holy crap that's bad

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

abigserve posted:

well I'm gonna be honest with you mister I need a full grown african elephant and I need it today. Buuut I'm afraid this just isn't what I'm looking for

elephants don't have keys

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Das Boo posted:

:cool:: *Draws a penis on the book* "lol and now u r gay!"

same

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

e: Here's the clip because a sentence like that really needs context to be believed.

I'm not sure if this fetid pile of garbage or Homer Votes is worse, but they're both really loving bad and I wish The Simpsons was given a fitting, dignified sendoff like 15 years ago because it hasn't been culturally relevant since like 1999 or so.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Grown men and women debating the merits of the show on the internet is the lowest point of the series.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine_River

Guest star: Ken Burns, Zooey Deschanel, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Anne Hathaway, Maurice LaMarche, Don Pardo, Natalie Portman, Kevin Michael Richardson, Al Roker and Sarah Silverman

Is that the most guest stars in one episode?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SeXReX posted:

Grown men and women debating the merits of the show on the internet is the lowest point of the series.

the internet was invented for this purpose

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

egon_beeblebrox posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine_River

Guest star: Ken Burns, Zooey Deschanel, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Anne Hathaway, Maurice LaMarche, Don Pardo, Natalie Portman, Kevin Michael Richardson, Al Roker and Sarah Silverman

Is that the most guest stars in one episode?

just for "fun" I looked into what episode had natalie portman..

quote:

At Springfield Elementary, Principal Skinner asks Groundskeeper Willie to get the fire extinguisher, but all of them have been stolen by Bart to propel his wagon. As Bart rockets around town, the foam released from the extinguishers puts out the wildfire. Bart is cheered as a hero by everyone and rewarded with a driver's license by Mayor Quimby.

Bart starts using Homer's car for his own pleasure, but is eventually tabbed for family errands (mostly chauffeuring Homer). Bart flees to North Haverbrook, where he meets a 15-year-old girl named Darcy, who believes Bart is much older. They begin a romantic relationship and Darcy soon proposes marriage. At the court house, Bart reveals his age, whereupon Darcy reveals that she is pregnant, much to Bart's depression. Darcy admits that Bart is not the father - the real father is a Norwegian exchange student, and she wants to get married because her parents would be upset with her unwed pregnancy. Bart agrees to marry Darcy, and they drive to Utah, where marriage restrictions are looser. Eventually, Homer, Marge and Darcy's parents catch up with them to stop the wedding, where Darcy's father reasons with Bart as he believes that Bart took advantage of a girl much older than him and got her pregnant. Darcy confesses to her parents that Bart is not the father. Darcy's mother is pregnant too, and the family agrees to pass the two babies off as twins. Darcy and Bart end their relationship, while Bart assures her they will meet again, to which she agrees. Later, Bart admits to Homer that he looked forward to being a father.
that was in 2007. it's been a bad show for so long

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Principal and the Pauper

it's a funny parody of television continuity

by itself it's funny, but it represents a turning point where the series starting getting bad and the writers started doing stuff like this unironically instead of ironically

same with the Frank Grimes episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

gently caress that was terrible. i voted for gaga one but id vote for this being the worst in a heart beat.

Libelous Slander posted:

just for "fun" I looked into what episode had natalie portman..

that was in 2007. it's been a bad show for so long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw