Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Master Twig posted:

I had a friend recently tell me at a gathering lately that the current season of the Simpsons is actually pretty good.

He's wrong right? There's just no way.

No I’ve fallen for that twice, it’s a trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It’s “better” in the sense that they are no longer doing actively cringy and appalling stuff and it’s mostly just bland, soulless, and low effort.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The last few seasons have had a new show runner, and they have tried some new things narratively with some of the episodes. They've also slowed down the breakneck pacing of the jokes so that jokes can actually land. Are the jokes funnier? Eh, probably not that much. Some of the episodes at least are weird in a way that is different than the last 15-20 years or mediocrity. But a lot of episodes are explicitly not that, and are just as mediocre as the worst of the Simpsons. So is it good again? That's probably going too far.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Master Twig posted:

I had a friend recently tell me at a gathering lately that the current season of the Simpsons is actually pretty good.

He's wrong right? There's just no way.

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like even if they fixed everything else the Marge voice issue is a dealbreaker.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about the art style of the Simpsons, like for its worst years it seem to be some sort of "HD" style that looked "flat", but now it seem to went back to something that looks older.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Had to read the comments to see that it was supposed to be this song, which I've never heard before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtwKn_gX4ZE

The segment is slightly less wtf after hearing it because now I can hear the melody they were attempting.

Oh wow, that's weird and obscure. The song is from a 1969 album made for the old Archie comics. Which technically the album has been referenced before in the Simpsons in 1993. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwB_-gC9ToE The Hot Dog reference is from 2017.

Except "Sugar, Sugar" is a better-known song, having topped the charts in 1969 (which is often cited as an example of how popular media at the time can just kinda be forgettable garbage compared to the other songs from 1969 that are more famous now), and even with that, the 1993 reference doesn't even rely on you knowing where the song is from, whereas the 2017 Hot Dog reference is more specifically riffing on the song itself (but also riffing in a weird way? Why does Homer want to rhyme with relish?).

And not that I think the Sugar Sugar joke is even strong, but it's less than 20 seconds and leads into a better joke, while the Hot Dog joke is 50 seconds and then goes nowhere.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

oh god

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

chili dogs cooked in their own chili is an interesting cooking method, might be the only thing of value the simpsons has done in years or decades.

also never seen a hotdog or sausage with those tied off tassel knobs before, like they seem like cartoon/comic only things.

e: do the nepo baby writers know what a spatula is for or how sausages are handled?

Before everything came pre-packaged in plastic you would get sausages like that from your butcher. The knot is where they tie the intestine casing off between each link, forming a long chain of meat tubes.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

As a kid I worked at a grill that still got hotdogs that way, the little tied nub is loving delicious when grilled.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Oh wow, that's weird and obscure. The song is from a 1969 album made for the old Archie comics. Which technically the album has been referenced before in the Simpsons in 1993.

Except "Sugar, Sugar" is a better-known song, having topped the charts in 1969 (which is often cited as an example of how popular media at the time can just kinda be forgettable garbage compared to the other songs from 1969 that are more famous now), and even with that, the 1993 reference doesn't even rely on you knowing where the song is from, whereas the 2017 Hot Dog reference is more specifically riffing on the song itself (but also riffing in a weird way? Why does Homer want to rhyme with relish?).

And not that I think the Sugar Sugar joke is even strong, but it's less than 20 seconds and leads into a better joke, while the Hot Dog joke is 50 seconds and then goes nowhere.

Plus, the "Sugar, Sugar" segment uses the actual song, even when everyone in 1993 would have likely known it. Here, they're really off key and off tempo singing an obscure song. At the very least it should have had instruments behind it so people had an idea of what they were attempting. Because when I first heard it I assumed it was some half-assed tune the writers made up on the spot and went with it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mr Interweb posted:

Hedgehog Pie Touched upon a big one but for me it seemed like a much darker episode then Simpsons was ever really used to. Bart's been a bratty kid but he seemed uncharacteristically mean as well. and to see him not only just get hurt but like repeatedly get hurt in some pretty serious ways that weren't done for comedic purposes just didn't really sit right with me
summer of 4 ft 2 had bart be a relentless jerk (with a point) for 99% of the runtime with the last 1% completely redeeming his part in the story, ending up with one of the most satisfying episodes. the babysitting ep has marge/homer pass the buck onto lisa, which triggers bart's jerk response and then incapacitates him, leaving lisa to have all the poo poo fall on her at the climax, only for the conclusion to have everything to reset to the status quo. it's not not funny, but I was also left with a bad taste in my mouth

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Remy Marathe posted:

As a kid I worked at a grill that still got hotdogs that way, the little tied nub is loving delicious when grilled.

this is why sausage ends are the best part.

also why meatballs of a certain size are good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think a lot of the mass market hot dogs that you buy these days don't actually have a casing, and that's why there's no knob on the end.

Plus, the "Sugar, Sugar" segment uses the actual song, even when everyone in 1993 would have likely known it. Here, they're really off key and off tempo singing an obscure song. At the very least it should have had instruments behind it so people had an idea of what they were attempting. Because when I first heard it I assumed it was some half-assed tune the writers made up on the spot and went with it.

While singing a comic book tie in song from 1969 in 2017, 48 years after it came out, is way too obscure to be a meaningful reference, in 1993 it's still 24 years ago, which is why the reference itself isn't the main point of the joke that has to carry the scene.

And god drat that math, 93 is closer to 69 than I first thought, so it's wild that the first reference is the exact midpoint from the second reference. I guess I still don't really recognize most of the top songs of the year 2000 even if I was around for them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

2000 was kind of a cultural wasteland compared to 1969.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Every subsequent generation has grown up with boomer music as omnipresent background noise, it's quaint to think no one would recognise a song from 1969.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SlothfulCobra posted:

While singing a comic book tie in song from 1969 in 2017, 48 years after it came out, is way too obscure to be a meaningful reference, in 1993 it's still 24 years ago, which is why the reference itself isn't the main point of the joke that has to carry the scene.

I had never even heard of Archie comics when that episode aired in Finland, and that scene was still great because it's a funny joke on its own.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Every subsequent generation has grown up with boomer music as omnipresent background noise, it's quaint to think no one would recognise a song from 1969.

Are you talking about the hot dog song? Because it's pretty drat obscure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Are you talking about the hot dog song? Because it's pretty drat obscure.

Oh no, the hot dog song I had no idea, especially since it's from an American ad campaign that probably didn't air in other countries.

We got the Chicken Tonight song, though.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I could see the old jewish man https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Old_Jewish_Man singing the chicken tonight song with his pants around his ankles

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure some people out there think that Sugar Sugar was original to the Simpsons from the way that I've seen that clip thrown around.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Sugar, Sugar was a major international hit; it was number one for eight weeks in the UK and the best-selling single of a year/era that's maintained a good bit of influence in pop culture for better or worse. It also topped the charts in countless other countries. I didn't know what The Archies were when I was growing up, but I was definitely familiar with the song outside of The Simpsons.

That said, the visuals and I GOT THAT FOR MY BIRTHDAY! make it funny even if you don't know the song.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Sugar, Sugar” was and still is a pretty ubiquitous song played on oldies stations everywhere. Looking at its original chart performance, it spent four weeks on top of Billboard’s Hot 100 and eight weeks on top of the UK Singles Chart. It was a global phenomenon for a hot minute, and Boomers fondly remember it and won’t let any younger generations forget about it.

It wasn’t exactly a deep cut reference like the hot dog song, but golden age Simpsons knew how to deep cut and keep it endearing and funny without you knowing it’s a reference to something from long ago, like Homer’s bedtime song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkmS9tLgjDA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Remember when sight gags were pithy and clever?

https://twitter.com/CesarWeGetIt/status/1777170304194027799

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Data Graham posted:

2000 was kind of a cultural wasteland compared to 1969.

What do you mean? Professional wrestling was at a peak and the billboard charts were still covertly dominated by Swedish music factories. Plus there was the novelty of stamping "2000" on every new product and brand iteration!

The Archies and the Monkees were kind of early examples of label-assembled groups which peaked in the year 2000 and collapsed soon after.

Although I always recognized Archie comics, and Sugar Sugar as a song, I didn't realize the two were connected until youtube came around

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Video games were pretty awesome.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

je1 healthcare posted:

What do you mean? Professional wrestling was at a peak and the billboard charts were still covertly dominated by Swedish music factories. Plus there was the novelty of stamping "2000" on every new product and brand iteration!

The Archies and the Monkees were kind of early examples of label-assembled groups which peaked in the year 2000 and collapsed soon after.

Although I always recognized Archie comics, and Sugar Sugar as a song, I didn't realize the two were connected until youtube came around

I feel like stamping 2000 on stuff was more of a 90s thing. Early on into the 00s you had a few 3000s and even 4000s but the magic was clearly gone. Cultural wasteland status: confirmed, sadly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Let's all meet up in the year 2000
Won't it be strange when we're all fully grown

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
DENTAL DAM
Lisa needs gay sex
DENTAL DAM
Lisa needs gay sex
DENTAL DAM
Lisa needs gay sex

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

BasicLich posted:

DENTAL DAM
Lisa needs gay sex
DENTAL DAM
Lisa needs gay sex
DENTAL DAM
Lisa needs gay sex

the nonsensical intrusive thoughts thread is THATTAWAY, man!

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
There never was worse pop music than 2000's.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fish of hemp posted:

There was some interesting and good post grunge stuff when music as a whole was still trying to figure out what to do after that, and then it all just went in the shittiest direction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Seriously though, that's the year of Deus Ex, Space Channel 5, Diablo II, Jet Set Radio, Timesplitters, Paper Mario, Perfect Dark, The Sims, Counter-Strike, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Majora's Mask... and that's just quickly looking on wikipedia, drat.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seriously though, that's the year of Deus Ex, Space Channel 5, Diablo II, Jet Set Radio, Timesplitters, Paper Mario, Perfect Dark, The Sims, Counter-Strike, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Majora's Mask... and that's just quickly looking on wikipedia, drat.

Yeah, I don't get pop-punk band names at all

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Fish of hemp posted:

I definitely agree with that. 1999 to at least 2008 is one of the worst eras of Western pop culture. Music, video games, movies.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

1999, actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2smQ703GlJ4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

credburn posted:

I definitely agree with that. 1999 to at least 2008 is one of the worst eras of Western pop culture. Music, video games, movies.

Maybe agreed on a lot of stuff, but video games, really? The PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era? That's cutting off almost right when there was the brown shooter epidemic and the HD transition that killed off so many studios and basically started a lost decade for design.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe agreed on a lot of stuff, but video games, really? The PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era? That's cutting off almost right when there was the brown shooter epidemic and the HD transition that killed off so many studios and basically started a lost decade for design.

Well, maybe not video games as a whole, but PC gaming specifically suffered really bad in that time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

credburn posted:

Well, maybe not video games as a whole, but PC gaming specifically suffered really bad in that time.

That's fair. Says something that the best I can think of from innovation on PCs specifically in that era was the rise of MMOs.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's fair. Says something that the best I can think of from innovation on PCs specifically in that era was the rise of MMOs.

the early to mid 2000's had some good rtses when the tech reached the point where you could have the battlefield be a 3d space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

zetamind2000 posted:

the early to mid 2000's had some good rtses when the tech reached the point where you could have the battlefield be a 3d space

I know it was a technical improvement but for quite a while it made them look quite a bit worse. Still reckon warcraft 2 looks better than 3.

The M.Y.T.H games did you the 3d environments quite well though. A lot of games at first didn't seem to, just having it be a graphics thing only basically.