Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

dr_rat posted:

I know it was a technical improvement but for quite a while it made them look quite a bit worse. Still reckon warcraft 2 looks better than 3.

The M.Y.T.H games did you the 3d environments quite well though. A lot of games at first didn't seem to, just having it be a graphics thing only basically.

nowhere to go but down after empire at war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Myth is still one of the few RTSs where terrain matters.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

credburn posted:

It's weird that, that never became more of a thing. Particularly because in strategy games you'd think having terrain matter and allowing for more strategies around it would be a non brainier, but I guess none of them were really into doing that sort of strategy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe agreed on a lot of stuff, but video games, really?

I don't even agree about the music. There are quite a few commercially successful songs from the 2000s that I still listen to all the time. Meanwhile, I can barely think of anything released recently that I could see myself listening to decades later, or even at all. Maybe that's just part of being an aging goon.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1780595250752598458?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've never seen Young Sheldon but a long time ago a bunch of people told me I reminded them of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory and it was a long time before I finally saw that show but when I did I was loving offended as all hell and consequently I also loathe Young Sheldon out of spite and am glad it's going away. I'm nothing like that unfunny jackass.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
2000 was the year Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 came out, perhaps the last game where you could destroy the WTC in one mission before that sort of thing would become wildly inappropriate for some reason.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

credburn posted:

I've never seen Young Sheldon but a long time ago a bunch of people told me I reminded them of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory and it was a long time before I finally saw that show but when I did I was loving offended as all hell and consequently I also loathe Young Sheldon out of spite and am glad it's going away. I'm nothing like that unfunny jackass.

Sounds like something both Sheldon AND Young Sheldon would say

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Al Jean's twitter account banner is Spider Pig

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Seeing that tweet felt like watching a baby throw up then a cat go clean it up

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

zetamind2000 posted:

the early to mid 2000's had some good rtses when the tech reached the point where you could have the battlefield be a 3d space

this is actually the one example i would use as the worst of PC gaming at the time. warcraft 3 and cnc generals ran like poo poo on contemporary systems, the transition to 3d was done way too early and while i could easily assess the situation of a battle in brood war, warcraft 3's combat in 600x800 or whatever i had to run it in at the time was an indecipherable mess of blocky 3d models

edit: i remember ground control 2 ran decently though, that period was a mixed bag

Junk fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 17, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

credburn posted:

Oh man, I bought Myth Total Codex off the shelf at CompUSA not knowing a thing & it’s still one of my all time favorites. In addition to both games they packed in a ton of fan made content included conversions for the Wild West and WWII. There was also a video preview of their upcoming Mac only game, Halo.

Willatron posted:

2000 was the year Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 came out, perhaps the last game where you could destroy the WTC in one mission before that sort of thing would become wildly inappropriate for some reason.

Lol I went to a preview event at a Wizards of the Coast store but they couldn’t get the game working so we provided our contact info & they sent a lot of free stuff including a poster of explosions in the NYC skyline. That came down real fast one autumn morning.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dr_rat posted:

The M.Y.T.H games did you the 3d environments quite well though. A lot of games at first didn't seem to, just having it be a graphics thing only basically.

My first MYTH experience was Riven.

What I remember of MYTH proper when I played it as a kid was working out the combination of the safe early in the game, not through deduction, but by trying out every combination until I found the correct one.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Myst and Myth are separate franchises.

Wasn't there a Vietnam War game made that used the Myth engine...?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh whoops, I got them mixed up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I thought I was in a Mandala effect situation

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
riven: the thequel to myth

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

credburn posted:

yeah and it sucked

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

credburn posted:

Myst and Myth are separate franchises.

Didn’t play that one but the WWII one could be applied to the campaign so on the first level the low level swarm of zombies were replaced by grenade throwing guys who could each easily one shot your guys. When we tried to play it was hilariously impossible.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe agreed on a lot of stuff, but video games, really? The PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era? That's cutting off almost right when there was the brown shooter epidemic and the HD transition that killed off so many studios and basically started a lost decade for design.

As somebody who had quite a bit of nostalgia for I'm gaming in the 90s, I think the 2000s era was in many ways Superior. this was a time where we actually had good 3D. also starting from the GameCube this is when Nintendo started putting out a ton of games in 60 FPS! :dance:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Junk posted:

riven: the thequel to myth

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Lol I thought I was in a Mandala effect situation

And I would have gotten away with it

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

As somebody who had quite a bit of nostalgia for I'm gaming in the 90s, I think the 2000s era was in many ways Superior. this was a time where we actually had good 3D. also starting from the GameCube this is when Nintendo started putting out a ton of games in 60 FPS! :dance:

Also it was a great time to play games from the 90s that now ran better, had more online connectivity options, etc. Yes, PC gaming has it all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finally I had enough extended AND expanded memory to run Wing Commander!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Finally I had enough extended AND expanded memory to run Wing Commander!

I know a lie when I hear one. :colbert:

But yeah It was good going back and playing old games and not having to worry at about system requirements.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We may have a new low, folks

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

https://twitter.com/aljean/status/1781293425855488396?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

https://theponzipapers.substack.com/p/i-have-set-myself-on-fire-outside
https://theponzipapers.substack.com/p/how-the-simpsons-brainwashed-us

I don't really understand this guy's politics, but he has Simpsons opinions.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 19, 2024

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

gross using samsung hardware with all its bloat spyware.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Toxic Mental posted:

i agree with all of this

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think harvard sent their best guys to the simpsons writing room

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

Riptor posted:

i agree with all of this

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Funniest Al Jean tweet ever.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Holy cow, the guy with Simpsons opinions did it on The Simpsons Dsy??? What is this universe

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I just watched a couple random season 34 episodes and wow there are like 4 voices I would recognize without looking at the screen. also has Marge's hair gotten shorter?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

if someone was going to write a manifesto before doing something terrible my money was on the goon that kept posting episode recaps of season 30+

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That goon was doing God's work, or at least the dirty job that no one else was willing to do. It was interesting to read. He hasn't posted in a while, I assume it finally caught up with him and he is now committed to a mental asylum.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

credburn posted:

Not only terrain, but wind and weather played a great role too! I remember in one of the missions where you are fighting in the mountains, theres snow and wind making the molotov throwing dwarves, who up to that point is your most valued unit, almost useless. The wind would make the molotvos inaccurate, and the snow would extinguish them upon landing. But if you threw enough of them into the path of an approaching enemy horde, you could gamble and hope a direct hit on one of the enemies would make the molotov explode and start a chain reaction with all the extinguished ones already on the ground. Be careful though some of them might fly towards your ranks... You really had to work with what you got in that game and I have not seen any other game do anything like it since. Anyways, sorry for off topic, but when i see Myth mentioned i just have to chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I really really hate Lenny's voice now. It used to be funny and cartoonish but now he just sounds like a regular guy with a slightly higher voice.