Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Libelous Slander posted:

that was in 2007. it's been a bad show for so long

there are 26 seasons, its been bad for waaaay longer than it was ever good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
it's not been said enough: the animation is awful now. The Simpsons animation first drastically, and then subtly changes throughout the series (and if someone knows a writeup spergily detailing the changes, I would be on that poo poo like white on rice), and as I've gotten older I've gained an appreciation for how it looks every season except, you know, the Bad Zone. I don't know why in the gently caress they try to make it all hyper polished slick-looking - I hadn't seen that Homer Votes clip until now and oh, it's just atrocious. My stars! I couldn't watch that stuff.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
That voting sketch is so starkly different when compared to this clip, which is still goofy but I remember it fondly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQKzesTq0Wo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wtf was that homer live thing supposed to even be. the other poo poo with lada gaga and lena dunham and the election and whatnot is awful but i can at least understand the "logic" of the writers doing that kind of poo poo, but the live call in thing is such an obviously stupid idea im still surprised it was approved and done

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Homer live is the only episode I've watched in the past 10 years

so I fell for the gimmick

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

I think i checked out during some episode where they get addicted to an MMO or something, it was really dumb and not funny and i cringed a lot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So I'm a huge loser and recently listened to a bunch of the DVD commentaries because it's sort of like fresh Simpsons content. You can hear it go out of them at Season 9. There's actually a core set at the top (Al Jean, Jim Brooks, Matt Groening) who have been there for nearly all the show's run, but in the early seasons they talk a lot about how vigilant they were about quality (animation aside), and at Season 9 that all stops and they start talking a lot more about how stuff in the shows breaks "rules" that they had in earlier seasons. I mean the epitome of the guys at the top not caring enough to fight for the quality of the show was them handing it over to Family Guy to make that abomination. No way would Groening or Brooks have allowed someone else to defile their characters like that in 1992.

They make compelling points too that when Fox shortened the show by 2 minutes, it hurt a lot. The best jokes are often extraneous to the plot, but they're the first to get cut to make time because they don't advance the plot.

They still make a few good episodes a year. You can usually count on the heavily promoted gimmick episodes to be good, like the recent hourlong Great Gatsby sendup or the Lego one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's so crazy to me that this show was already so heavily syndicated when I was a child. 20 years ago, I was 9 and could watch The Simpsons somewhere between 3-5 times a day if you knew what channels to swap to.

I've conservatively estimated in the past that I've seen seasons 1-10 probably 10 times over because of syndication, and it blows my mind that there are almost TWICE as many episodes of this show I used to love that I haven't seen.

Now it's some lovecraftian madness parade where someone says the absolutely dumbest thing you can imagine and *voila* here is a clip from 2013 where they did it but with fewer jokes than you thought. The Lena Dunham thing was unforgivably bad... but the animation from the Russia thing is like Newgrounds.com levels of laziness.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Someone has to do something. It can't be allowed to go on any longer.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Moon Atari posted:

Someone has to do something. It can't be allowed to go on any longer.

"Mr. Huts!!"

"You'd be surprised how often that works; you really would!"

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Looks like those clowns in congress did it again! What a bunch of clowns!

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

How does it keep up with the news like that?!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Don't praise the machine.

Edit: Read that zombie Simpsons article(s) from earlier in the thread, and man it was depressing. So much great subtle-ish humor in the first decade of the show, and so much dreck since.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What a downer of a thread... I will echo the sentiment that very few people in the world actually know what the lowest point is because that would require watching all of the newer episodes.

The last new one I actually watched was some kind of murder mystery thing, some old lady gets killed while they are eating dinner. It was real real bad.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Oh I am, am I? Is that what you think? Well if that is what you think, I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Fried Watermelon posted:

Oh I am, am I? Is that what you think? Well if that is what you think, I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
The show's rapid decline into crapulence syncs up rather closely with Phil Hartman's death. Coincidence?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Libelous Slander posted:

just for "fun" I looked into what episode had natalie portman..

that was in 2007. it's been a bad show for so long

The Natalie Portman episode happened to be on in the background on some channel (FX?) in my house a few weeks back and it was so, so bad. There were basically no jokes and the episode was completely devoid of humor, as if they just wanted it to be horribly uncomfortable like an episode of Big Bang Theory or whatever garbage sitcom.

I can't even imagine how sad the new episodes are in goddamn season 28 if 2007 had episodes that lovely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

When the Simpsons movie ripped off a scene from a Leslie Nielsen movie verbatim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JogttpcKFIA
(skip to 2:16)

What's this kind of comedy called and how come nobody is making them today

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Khanstant posted:

A Leslie Nielson comedy, and because he's dead and Scary Movie made money.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Khanstant posted:

go watch Airplane!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Libelous Slander posted:

A Leslie Nielson comedy, and because he's dead and Scary Movie made money.

It reminds me in some way of George Burns and Gracie Allen type stuff. Like the way Gracie will turn literally every sentence or phrase into a joke or goof. I've seen Airplane and I loved it, I guess I'll just go through his wikipedia and check out all of his comedies.

Also I just watched that Lena Dunham clip and ugh. Simpsons celebrity versions don't usually look very much like whoever it's supposed to be, but drat, that's a new low. It looks more like how'd they'd draw a hipster asian woman. They also gave her the arm tat but not the turkey that defines it. If I were drawing her, that's where I'd start. Begin at the beefy arm and shoulder, work my way up to the frumpy spoiled princess face, scratch in some "hair wont fix this anyway" hair style. I don't know how they got from Lena to their little hipster fashion model design.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Tik Tok is funny and weird and I'm glad it happened. the couch gags should have free reign to be stupid and not make sense

the show doesn't actually keep getting worse and worse, it has a slight fall off around season 10 followed by a deep plunge into poo poo and then there's a decades long clawing up to "not that bad". compare any of the Matt Selman episodes from recent seasons to Kill the Alligator and Run if you don't believe me

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I'll just go through his wikipedia and check out all of his comedies.

some are the best some kinda suck tbh and there is no objective way to select. Mr Magoo was loved by many but I didn't see it more than once. I really love Spy Hard but a lot of people rate it as one of the worst ones. The Naked Gun trilogy is great though and should be watched, just to see how it evolves over time. also if you haven't seen Hot Shots or Hot shots: part deux, you should check them out. Lastly, Loaded Weapon is a great B-comedy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

Tik Tok is funny and weird and I'm glad it happened. the couch gags should have free reign to be stupid and not make sense

the show doesn't actually keep getting worse and worse, it has a slight fall off around season 10 followed by a deep plunge into poo poo and then there's a decades long clawing up to "not that bad". compare any of the Matt Selman episodes from recent seasons to Kill the Alligator and Run if you don't believe me

There's been a marked improvement the last few years, although they still put out some enormous turds from time to time. But no one knows this because no one actually watches The Simpsons anymore.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
only a real simp would watch now, even

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Libelous Slander posted:

some are the best some kinda suck tbh and there is no objective way to select. Mr Magoo was loved by many but I didn't see it more than once. I really love Spy Hard but a lot of people rate it as one of the worst ones. The Naked Gun trilogy is great though and should be watched, just to see how it evolves over time. also if you haven't seen Hot Shots or Hot shots: part deux, you should check them out. Lastly, Loaded Weapon is a great B-comedy

Top secret! is also one of the best, though it doesn't have Nielsen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Libelous Slander posted:

I don't think I saw any of those. Maybe Naked Gun when I was a kid, does he get mad about buying hotdogs in that?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
he shoots a guy in a meat processing facility who falls into a vat of goop and later on in the movie someone is eating a hot dog and there's a finger in it

edit: spoiler alert

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I don't think I saw any of those. Maybe Naked Gun when I was a kid, does he get mad about buying hotdogs in that?

Mozi posted:

he shoots a guy in a meat processing facility who falls into a vat of goop and later on in the movie someone is eating a hot dog and there's a finger in it

Also there is a scene where he's dating the lady (Jane maybe?) and they are squirting condiments on eachother at a hotdog stand. Those last 3 movies I mentioned are no Nielson movies, the hot shots are Charlie sheen and loaded weapon is emilio estevez/samuel jackson, but i consider them similar in style. Also now that I'm thinking of it Kelsie Grammer in Down Parascope is another great 90s comedy. Stripes is also good for an Army comedy with Bill Murray.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most of Nielsen's collaborations with the Zucker Abrahams Zucker team are excellent. They basically do machine gun comedy; if one joke doesn't stick, don't worry because you just missed the next three that flew by while you were thinking about the first one.

The Naked Gun films are their best.

"You call this slop! Real slop has chunks in it! This is just gruel! And this Chateau Le Blanc '63 is supposed to be served slightly chilled! This is room temperature!"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Libelous Slander posted:

Also now that I'm thinking of it Kelsie Grammer in Down Parascope is another great 90s comedy. Stripes is also good for an Army comedy with Bill Murray.

down periscope cracked me the hell up as a 10 year old

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The panda rape episode was good except for the panda rape. Merry Fishmas!

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

Libelous Slander posted:

Has anyone mentioned Dracula: Dead and Loving It! yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BG66Sz8SZs

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
Why are these threads always the lowest point of the Simpsons, why not the highest point? At least we could get a laugh out of clips instead of stabbing head pain from the 5 botched abortions linked in the OP.

Also you could check out Naked Gun's start with Police Squad! There's only 6 episodes though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8PZFQz-qmo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Anybody who thinks that the appreciation for seasons 1-10 is just nostalgia really should watch them in order from the beginning. I did this about 2 years ago and enjoyed it a lot but stopped around season 12 because it really, really did turn way worse. Someone said it before but it really is the heart that is gone. The simpsons had real problems that were often packaged in comparatively whacky scenarios, and usually the characters developed somewhat. Today it's more like everyone behaves like their own stereotype, and then apologizes at the end without any sincerety.

Also didn't marge and homer get divorced in some new episode? What happened with that?

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Cobweb Heart posted:

it's not been said enough: the animation is awful now. The Simpsons animation first drastically, and then subtly changes throughout the series (and if someone knows a writeup spergily detailing the changes, I would be on that poo poo like white on rice), and as I've gotten older I've gained an appreciation for how it looks every season except, you know, the Bad Zone. I don't know why in the gently caress they try to make it all hyper polished slick-looking - I hadn't seen that Homer Votes clip until now and oh, it's just atrocious. My stars! I couldn't watch that stuff.

At the start it was traditional hand drawn, hand painted animation. That lasted up until around s10 or 11 when it was still hand drawn but digitally coloured so all of a sudden there was still some janky animation but no oddities with colouring which looked pretty crap.

Then sometime in the last 10 years it went full digital like a loving flash animation. There seems to be less frames in each movement now and all the colour is flat and dull so it looks like poo poo.

The first 2(?) seasons were done by Klasky-Csupo who would constantly ignore notes from the producers and do those stupid faces on characters and "rubber" animation. They also tended to colour things like a 70s Eastern bloc propaganda film. Look at something like Rugrats and see how grimy that poo poo looks, that's how those fuckers roll.

Then a few years ago they started airing "HD" versions of the old episodes but instead of re-scanning film elements which would have looked pretty decent they upscaled, cropped and applied some poo poo filter to the tape copies so now it looks worse than it ever has.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

Anybody who thinks that the appreciation for seasons 1-10 is just nostalgia really should watch them in order from the beginning. I did this about 2 years ago and enjoyed it a lot but stopped around season 12 because it really, really did turn way worse. Someone said it before but it really is the heart that is gone. The simpsons had real problems that were often packaged in comparatively whacky scenarios, and usually the characters developed somewhat. Today it's more like everyone behaves like their own stereotype, and then apologizes at the end without any sincerety.

Also the jokes. The jokes are gone.

quote:

Also didn't marge and homer get divorced in some new episode? What happened with that?

There was a recent dream episode where they break up and Homer bangs Lena Dunham. Also they divorced in Season 8 when Milhouse's parents divorce and Homer gets needlessly paranoid about the state of his own marriage and heads off what he thinks is an impending divorce by Marge by doing it himself.

And they have a pretty severe breakup in the movie, but not for very long.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

luncheon meat posted:

At the start it was traditional hand drawn, hand painted animation. That lasted up until around s10 or 11 when it was still hand drawn but digitally coloured so all of a sudden there was still some janky animation but no oddities with colouring which looked pretty crap.

Then sometime in the last 10 years it went full digital like a loving flash animation. There seems to be less frames in each movement now and all the colour is flat and dull so it looks like poo poo.

The first 2(?) seasons were done by Klasky-Csupo who would constantly ignore notes from the producers and do those stupid faces on characters and "rubber" animation. They also tended to colour things like a 70s Eastern bloc propaganda film. Look at something like Rugrats and see how grimy that poo poo looks, that's how those fuckers roll.

Then a few years ago they started airing "HD" versions of the old episodes but instead of re-scanning film elements which would have looked pretty decent they upscaled, cropped and applied some poo poo filter to the tape copies so now it looks worse than it ever has.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Fifteen years ago.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/im-always-right/
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/im-always-right-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Simpsons died with Frank Grimes (Grimey)