Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

pretty much exactly what you would expect from a millenial writers room and gen x/boomer showrunners in 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's weirdly a lot more on the nose of a reference than the Simpsons normally does as well.

The main jokes of the scene aside from the novelty of Mario Kart seem to be on it being dumb that they're doing a Mario Kart dream.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's weirdly a lot more on the nose of a reference than the Simpsons normally does as well.

The main jokes of the scene aside from the novelty of Mario Kart seem to be on it being dumb that they're doing a Mario Kart dream.

Even Family Guy would be more subtle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Simpsons writer has been failson daycare for decades at this point.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I’m just surprised they didn’t call it “Nario Snart” or something.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
That timely new IP called Mario Kart that just came out *checks notes* 32 years ago

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's still relevant! Mario Kart 8 only came out *checks notes* 10 years ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s weird when the new ones reference something they could have done 30 years ago.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
To be fair the Mario movie from last year had a big Mario Kart segment in it

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s weird when the new ones reference something they could have done 30 years ago.

I had the same feeling watching SNL last night when they did a sketch about Air Bud

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can get where if you jump the gun on something and add in animation turn around, you might be referencing a flash-in-the-pan that was stale within weeks. *Cough*SusanBoyle*Cough*

But, like... Yeah, Mario Kart is an odd choice if you're gonna be that bland with it. It's not a deep cut or interesting commentary, so what's the point?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Internet, eh?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Das Boo posted:

I can get where if you jump the gun on something and add in animation turn around, you might be referencing a flash-in-the-pan that was stale within weeks. *Cough*SusanBoyle*Cough*

But, like... Yeah, Mario Kart is an odd choice if you're gonna be that bland with it. It's not a deep cut or interesting commentary, so what's the point?

The point is probably more that Homer is anxious about Lisa apparently doing some kind of race.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The point is probably more that Homer is anxious about Lisa apparently doing some kind of race.

It would be the same if they referenced Fast & Furious or Grand Theft Auto since they didn't do anything particularly fun with the material.

"I am [Character A]!"
"I am [Character B]!"
"I am [Character C]!"
*Character C attacks Character A*
*Dream ends*

A more fun and imaginative Simpsons referential dream sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0968-36s4

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Das Boo posted:

If they had put this out in the 90s kid me would have been amazed that the adult arbiters of cartoons were cool enough to know about something as obscure as Mario Kart. Maybe kids still feel that way :shrug: Pretty rear end segment, though.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SlothfulCobra posted:

In that case, they could have done it like this: Lisa's in a go-kart race, and first starts dealing with aggressive behavior from other racers...

Then with Speed Racer traps...

Then Mario Kart characters and a blue shell. Just as it's about to make impact, Homer wakes up.

Where's my check, Disney?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

If they had put this out in the 90s kid me would have been amazed that the adult arbiters of cartoons were cool enough to know about something as obscure as Mario Kart. Maybe kids still feel that way :shrug: Pretty rear end segment, though.

I don't think in the modern era Mario Kart is really that obscure. Like, I remember when the X-Men movie had the "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" line in it, and it was like, holy poo poo, mass media acknowledged something on our secret clubhouse: the Internet! But video games feel a lot more Normal these days. For it to really have that "oh wow they know about this??" impact, it needed to be Simpsons Skibbidi Toilet.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

FlocksOfMice posted:

Simpsons Skibbidi Toilet.

season 51 episode 22

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God that Juggernaut line was just the worst though. Completely the wrong context and delivery, just no understanding of why it was funny as a meme. Ended up just being a mean slur out of nowhere.

"Here writer guy, put this line in, don't ask any questions k bye"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That Mario Kart clip is probably one of the better ones from the season.:lol:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We're gonna groove tonight! We'll make you feel alright! Simpsons Skibidi Toilet!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Craig K posted:

season 51 episode 22

youtube content farm episode with a guest appearance by elon musk

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FlocksOfMice posted:

I don't think in the modern era Mario Kart is really that obscure. Like, I remember when the X-Men movie had the "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" line in it, and it was like, holy poo poo, mass media acknowledged something on our secret clubhouse: the Internet! But video games feel a lot more Normal these days. For it to really have that "oh wow they know about this??" impact, it needed to be Simpsons Skibbidi Toilet.

Yeah of course, it wasn't that obscure back then, but a seven year old still might think it's obscure because their dad and their teacher and etc. never talk about Mario Kart, maybe? I honestly don't know though, I think kids still like Mario...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mario Kart 8 DX still makes best seller top ten lists I'm pretty sure, and it just got a bunch of new characters and tracks, it's insanely popular.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

SeANMcBAY posted:

That Mario Kart clip is probably one of the better ones from the season.:lol:

I miss PostNouveau and their descriptions of these awful fever dreams..

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

I miss PostNouveau and their descriptions of these awful fever dreams..

You can't make me watch that trash. I won't do it!

I was more along for the ride when I thought the show was like thiiiiiiiiis close to dying but it's been renewed again and clearly it will not die until a cast member dies.

I definitely won't watch like 10 more seasons of that poo poo, so no time like the present to quit

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I mean, you can get a pretty good idea of how awful it is these days from what they post on Twitter

https://twitter.com/AniDom/status/1760025862890520961

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah, probably better for your mental health to just avoid watching them. God knows how long it'll run for.

PostNouveau posted:

I mean, you can get a pretty good idea of how awful it is these days from what they post on Twitter

That's the stuff.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

PostNouveau posted:

You can't make me watch that trash. I won't do it!

I was more along for the ride when I thought the show was like thiiiiiiiiis close to dying but it's been renewed again and clearly it will not die until a cast member dies.

I definitely won't watch like 10 more seasons of that poo poo, so no time like the present to quit

i'm glad you got the help you needed and hope you can stay off the wagon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

spaceblancmange posted:

i'm glad you got the help you needed and hope you can stay off the wagon

I just need a little fix here and there

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1760771479942144046

They thought this scene was good enough for the Twitter!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dammit that's Jess Harnell isn't it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Isn't that just McBain's voice actor?

Hey there's a real movie called McBain and it stars Christopher Walker and the lady cop from Predator 2!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

drat, those Beatles impersonations suck.

They need to just bring in Peter Serafinowicz if they need all four Beatles. Dude’s the GOAT impersonator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x5Mqges1Zg

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

PostNouveau posted:

i liked the skiing atom

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

It wasn't a promotion it was a warning from the marketing department trying to atone for their many sins.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

edit: wrong thread

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They already had really good designs for George, Ringo and Paul, why didn't they just trace those

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

PostNouveau posted:

goddamit i meant to write i hope you stay ON the wagon.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Isn't that just McBain's voice actor?

Hey there's a real movie called McBain and it stars Christopher Walker and the lady cop from Predator 2!

McBain!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F6VLUTFiI0