Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgI2YAupCM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I watched a couple episodes from 11 and 12 recently, and one thing that struck me was how the writers shat on their own writing. In "Bart to the Future," they make a joke about putting a B-plot in because the A-plot was too thin. In "Trilogy of Error," the episode ends with monkey yelling (subtitled) "This episode makes no sense!"

Frank Grimes acknowledged a lot of the logical inconsistency in The Simpsons universe, but incorporated into the characters. A classic line like "Don't ask me how the economy works" is totally within Homer's character while accomplishing the meta-joke about creative liberties taken with the family's financial situation from episode to episode without breaking the fourth wall.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

The worst thing about that Lena Dunham episode wasn't homer doing drugs, it was the animation- specifically just how wrong the timing seems. It starts off with Homer and Marge arguing and she does her weird groan but it just seemed so drawn out and real.

It was really the timing that made the whole episode feel like I was dreaming more than any amount of scenes of Homer tripping balls.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
Does anyone else think that the episode where Mr. Burns gets all those real ballplayers to work at the plant so they could beat the Shelbyville plant's softball team at softball was a textbook example of guest stars working out perfectly? It feels like the writer's didn't really kiss the players' asses the way they started to with later celebs. Or maybe the baseball players didn't take themselves as seriously as later celebs did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlyYSNAACM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOtxCRhnw

I couldn't find "I heard a guy got killed in New York, and they never found out who did it."

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
the krusty comeback special is another good example, stacked with celeb cameos but it was really well done and the episode was fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5gX-S30PEI

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Yeah. It just proves that "when the simpsons became bad" is not like SNL but is instead objective.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

PallasAthene posted:

Does anyone else think that the episode where Mr. Burns gets all those real ballplayers to work at the plant so they could beat the Shelbyville plant's softball team at softball was a textbook example of guest stars working out perfectly? It feels like the writer's didn't really kiss the players' asses the way they started to with later celebs. Or maybe the baseball players didn't take themselves as seriously as later celebs did.

I couldn't find "I heard a guy got killed in New York, and they never found out who did it."

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARYL
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARYL

Yeah they could use celebs really well in the earlier seasons. I'm Joe Namath.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

luncheon meat posted:

Yeah they could use celebs really well in the earlier seasons. I'm Joe Namath.

goddamn don mattingly and his out of control sideburns!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PallasAthene posted:

ehh. those work well and are great.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I believe the same thing I believed a decade ago: Behind the Laughter should have been the final episode, and the movie should have been the finale.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

luncheon meat posted:

As a kid, I never realized how much of a kissass they made Strawberry out to be throughout the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhnqEjM2Yxc

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
The funniest thing that the Simpsons have ever done is produce nearly two decades of absolute poo poo without losing the majority of their audience.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Nah the funniest thing they've ever done is

My eyes! The goggles do NOTHING!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I believe the same thing I believed a decade ago: Behind the Laughter should have been the final episode, and the movie should have been the finale.

I thought the movie really sucked, but the consensus is that it's okay-ish? I thought it was very humdrum, run-of-the-mill poo poo.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Ork of Fiction posted:

The funniest thing that the Simpsons have ever done is produce nearly two decades of absolute poo poo without losing the majority of their audience.

To be fair I think all tv as a whole has had a similar decline.

E: from here: http://toddwschneider.com/posts/the-simpsons-by-the-data/ which has a lot of other neat graphs and poo poo like this algorithmically derived list of the most important phrases in each episode: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XETUC97k1AvVPwqGnPuSPnWVtMrk2YhO8aHbo53RcoU/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Dogmeat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 7, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Also I just watched that Lena Dunham clip and ugh. Simpsons celebrity versions don't usually look very much like whoever it's supposed to be, but drat, that's a new low. It looks more like how'd they'd draw a hipster asian woman.

That's not supposed to be a drawing of her, she was voicing a character.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Last Chance posted:

I thought the movie really sucked, but the consensus is that it's okay-ish? I thought it was very humdrum, run-of-the-mill poo poo.

It had good moments because a lot of the old writing team came back to help with it but it seemed like the majority was from newer shittier writers. Was also directed by someone who directed early episodes and he got p good performances out of the actors I thought

luncheon meat fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 7, 2017

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Yeah, as of ~2010 you need streaming #s to get a real picture of what's going on. So if, 1:10 of Hulu's 12 mil subscribers watches the Simpsons, that's still significant.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Ork of Fiction posted:

Yeah, as of ~2010 you need streaming #s to get a real picture of what's going on. So if, 1:10 of Hulu's 12 mil subscribers watches the Simpsons, that's still significant.

He mentions in the article the streaming data was pointing to the older episodes getting more play.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Homeroom Fingering posted:

Why are these threads always the lowest point of the Simpsons, why not the highest point? At least we could get a laugh out of clips instead of stabbing head pain from the 5 botched abortions linked in the OP.

Because there's already a thread for that:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573863

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Did Simpsons really have no good seasons after Season 10? Not even just one by accident? That's a long time for a show to be poo poo.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

some guy on the bus posted:

Did Simpsons really have no good seasons after Season 10? Not even just one by accident? That's a long time for a show to be poo poo.

not one. its pretty hosed up

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

I liked the episode from one of the later seasons where they did "The Departed". Everything else post ten is trash af

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Season 10 had some good eps and some really bad ones, I'd say 11 and 12 were better on average, bland seasons with some kinda ok episodes and gags. 13 had The Old Man and the Key, which had a lot of great gags including the iconic "Old Man Yells at Cloud" but the rest of the season was poo poo. Season 14 the only joke I remember liking was learn to fart.

Ork of Fiction posted:

That's still not a very big bump compared to the early years.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

some guy on the bus posted:

I finally stopped watching altogether a couple years ago, but if you're not too hung up on the high bar of the classic years there seems to be at least one or two pretty drat funny episodes in the mix every season and a small handful of passably entertaining ones.

If you assembled a "best of" episode playlist of the last 10-20 years you could get a fairly entertaining bonus seasons of watchable Simpsons. Maybe two.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
No matter how bad we think the show has gotten, would just the act of letting the show end or get cancelled just infuriate everyone in the media journalism industr? I'm sort of thinking the only way they can end the show is if one of the main family member voices passed away or was unable to voice the character, anymore. The actual act of replacing them might be the only thing more offensive than ending the show.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

It is an abomination and it must be stopped through any means.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think the entire FOX network will collapse after the NFL is cancelled

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Fox doesn't really have a news/current affairs show. They should take that Simpsons Live thing and just turn the Simpson cast into newscasters or the like to talk about current events a few times a week.

The only problem is that I'm sure even folks on GMA, your local news or The View will have some amusing banter every so often...

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

PallasAthene posted:

They had to change Jose Canseco's bit so that the reason he wasn't at the game was because he was being a hero not because he was chained to the bed after a one night stand with Krabapple.

Aside from that though yeah this was a really good use of celebrities and I'd probably put the episode in my top five.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Dogmeat posted:

To be fair I think all tv as a whole has had a similar decline.

E: from here: http://toddwschneider.com/posts/the-simpsons-by-the-data/ which has a lot of other neat graphs and poo poo like this algorithmically derived list of the most important phrases in each episode: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XETUC97k1AvVPwqGnPuSPnWVtMrk2YhO8aHbo53RcoU/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

The show's quality had gotten so bad by 1999 that it couldn't even deliver on the nostalgia factor for post-9/11 America.
That bump in viewers in 2001 coincides with when Americans all flocked to their televisions for a sense of normalcy, continuity, comfort, and nostalgia. But the quality of the Simpsons was so bad that viewership dropped again. And then they brought back family guy lol

Edit: tl;dr- America gave the show a three year period to go back to the classic model and they couldn't even do that.

Backweb fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Feb 7, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
What was the episode where Groening demanded his name be taken off? It was because someone changed one of his jokes from an actual joke to a random non-sequiter. (I think)

Not that it was the lowest point, but it shows some kind of rift in the writing.

I remember not seeing the Simpsons in years, then they had an episode where some TV producers were the T-1000 and were yukking up the fact that they couldn't get killed. it was p.poo poo.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

What was that episode in 2005 that got over 20m viewers?

Seems like there's one big outlier every year (possibly the Treehouse of Horror/season opener), but the gap that year is ridiculous.

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 7, 2017

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I think it came on after the Super Bowl that year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Drunken Baker posted:

What was the episode where Groening demanded his name be taken off? It was because someone changed one of his jokes from an actual joke to a random non-sequiter. (I think)

It was the Season 6 crossover with The Critic. Right in the middle of the golden era.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Really? I could have sworn it had something to do with a time machine.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

It was the Season 6 crossover with The Critic. Right in the middle of the golden era.

The Critic was 3 seasons long and was every bit as good as the best years of the Simpsons despite being more Family Guy in its use of cutaways and pacing. Which goes to show the Family Guy model can work if you're actually funny and creative with it

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just looked it up and I think maybe he removed his name from another episode as well. Never seen the one I'm talking about, mind you. Only read about it in another Simpsons thread on SA. It was a joke about science or a time machine or something and one of the script writers changed to joke to Marge just saying something random and dumb instead.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
When they changed Smithers from black to white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Tell you what, it's funny how they got away with certain things in the earlier shows. Like Lenard Nimoy "beaming up" because everything else was great. If they did that poo poo now it'd be awful... And not just because he's dead.